Hi I am new here. I have a question. I am still working as I am a key worker. As a type 2 should I b

marco2002

Hi I am new here to but I am a keyworker too I work in health and social care as a carer also awidowed single parent as far as I can make out if you have an underlying health condition such as diabetes you are at increased risk. In my case my GP signed me off work and my company accepted his view on what could happen if I work frontline. Hope that helps. Regards marco

marco2002

Hi I am new here to but I am a keyworker too I work in health and social care as a carer also awidowed single parent as far as I can make out if you have an underlying health condition such as diabetes you are at increased risk. In my case my GP signed me off work and my company accepted his view on what could happen if I work frontline. Hope that helps. Regards marco
Forgot to also mention I have been signed off work for 3 months lol

Dark Horse

Self-isolating is for people who have symptoms of Covid-19 or who live in the same household as someone with symptoms.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Shielding (avoiding face-to-face contact for 12 weeks) is for people who are at very high risk from severe Covid-19 infection - that does not include people with diabetes unless they have other health conditions which make them particularly at risk.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Social distancing is for everyone else, including people with diabetes. If you can't work from home, talk to your manager about how you can reduce your risk of catching the virus at work.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi I am new here. I have a question. As a type 2 and a key worker, should I be self isolating, or can I continue working?

A few doctors are willing to sign diabetic people off work, but I think this is not very common. The official line from the government is that diabetics should continue working but maintain 'stringent social distancing'. As a carer, your manager should provide you with the PPE needed to reduce risks and perform your tasks as safely as possible.

Are you a carer in a nursing home?

marco2002

I was very lucky tbh. My boss said "where can I find a GP like yours" as a lot GPs are playing hardball and won't sign people people off. In my particular setting the dayservices have stopped so if you do not get signed off by the GP you are on unpaid leave and if you do not want to do that then you will be redeployed to other frontline services...

LindaHodgson

Thank you.

LindaHodgson

A few doctors are willing to sign diabetic people off work, but I think this is not very common. The official line from the government is that diabetics should continue working but maintain 'stringent social distancing'. As a carer, your manager should provide you with the PPE needed to reduce risks and perform your tasks as safely as possible.

Are you a carer in a nursing home?
No I am a retirement home manager, with relatives and deliveries every day. Although I practice safe distancing, not everybody who comes into the locked down building does!