New here

Lewishuxtable

Hi there everyone , new here , type one diabetic for the last 11 years and I'll be honest I'm so bad at keeping on top of my diabetes, I struggle so much daily with it , no matter the amount of motivation I have I always seem to fall off , I was wondering if there was anyone that had any tips that would help as I don't know any diabetics personally , I feel so alone with it all and something has to change soon before I end up doing something stupid

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi there everyone , new here , type one diabetic for the last 11 years and I'll be honest I'm so bad at keeping on top of my diabetes, I struggle so much daily with it , no matter the amount of motivation I have I always seem to fall off , I was wondering if there was anyone that had any tips that would help as I don't know any diabetics personally , I feel so alone with it all and something has to change soon before I end up doing something stupid

Hi buddy and welcome to the forums.

Any chance you could elaborate a little on what you're struggling with? Remembering injections? Eating the wrong food and too much of it? Testing? Or is it 'all of the above'?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
hi @Lewishuxtable
Huge hug, diabetes definitely has it’s moments.
My top tip is test, test and test some more then you see some of the surprises coming. Get a Libre if you can.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm a type 2 so not much good advice wise but happy to listen and sympathise.

It can be really tough for you type 1s. I read somewhere about the number of decisions a type 1 has to make on a daily basis and I can't remember but it was high.

Fortunately on this forum there are quite a few type 1 who will completely sympathise but also can help if you let them know what is most bothering you.

It is a tough world for everyone at the moment- I think everyone is struggling but for those os us with other medical issues it can seem even tougher.

Take care of yourself- and post here anytime e you want a listening ear- the beauty of this forum is there is usually someone awake.

Take care.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome! At times, looking after 'Type 1' can feel like a full-time job, and that's what it is, really. In the past, I have found it helpful to list my problems and discuss them with a DSN at the hospital. Not easy at the moment, maybe! But being specific about what your problems actually are, even writing them down, might make it possible for people on the forum to suggest things you can try - to improve blood sugar levels, or whatever. Anyway, I think you'll find that joining the forum was a very good idea. Problem shared, problem halved. And that's a good start!