Brown Basmati Rice

Gladys12216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with attitude and Liars
Is Brown Basmati Rice ok for a T2 Diabetic. Please help.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is Brown Basmati Rice ok for a T2 Diabetic. Please help.

I'd imagine not, I eat it as a type 1 as it's carb digestion mimics the speed my insulin is absorbed, whereas shorter grain rice (and a lot of pasta) will cause my bloods to spike until the insulin 'catches up'.

If you're looking at rice as an accompaniment for a sauce you could look at 'cauliflower rice' (usually on the top of the rice aisle) and if you can find it you'll also see a few other zero carb/very low carb offerings which I'd imagine would cause you less spikes, but that's a guess as I don't have T2, good luck finding something :)

Reactions: Allexandro

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything brown wholemeal etc is pretty much as bad as the white version. Might be very slightly slower to raise blood glucose levels and maybe slightly lower but then lasts longer instead. Limit as much as possible or even better avoid it altogether. Take a look at the links at the bottom of my signature for general advice and more links to more info.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Agree with @HSSS check out the nutrional thingy link, it's also posted below in my sig line in red.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat and test! I seem to be OK with root veg in small portions but brown basmati rice (same size portion) gave me the biggest spike I've had! I haven't dared try pasta yet......

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What ever you would normally eat with the rice is where the money shot usually is. This is easily tested with most high carb foods, by looking at if you would eat that food by itself. E.g. curry and rice, fish and chips a traditional roast with potatoes. I would say if you remove the carby elements the rest of the meal can stand by itself or you can replace the higher carby element with a non starchy choice.

Obviously chips are the exception to the rule.