Coronavirus work advice

Starxgirl

I work in a Supermarket and interacting with the public on checkouts and on the floor. I havent shown any symptoms of the virus. But today towards end of my shift a manager pulled aside another worker and told them to get there stuff they have to go home and self isolate for 12 weeks. Found out she has type 2 diabetes, so I was like maybe i should let my manager know about me being type 1 diabetic see what he says. The message i got back was more of a choice that it's up to me to decide do I want to continue to work or take 12 weeks off work 10 weeks fully paid. I'm not sure on what I want to do, as I said I have no signs right now and I'm able to work. But I'm sure like rest of you worried just incase catch it, in saying that could catch it anywhere maybe not even from work, but I'm just confused on what to do now

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can only do your job at work just like me although your role is far more important right now. You don't know if the other person had other health conditions so my advice would be to ask for the right protection at work when handling cash (hand gel, plenty of breaks to wash hands or even gloves).
What are the negative consequences of not working other than 2 weeks' pay loss? Would you be regarded less favourably or have to use up holiday since you are not actually sick and thus far have only been officially advised to 'work from home if you can' ?
For me it has been made clear that self isolation will not help me score well in any future redundancy discussions!
My focus is on eating well, keeping exercising and keeping blood sugars well all of which I think might suffer if I was stuck at home for 12 weeks!

Max68

Not to concern anyone but I spoke to my GP re my situation as work sent me, along with a few others, home this week. I'm a controlled type 2 on Metformin and also on meds for BP and Cholesterol. She said work had done the right thing and I should social distance as being in the higher risk group. A month ago she didn't seem worried!! If you get paid for being off I personally would take it as you are only following medical and Government instructions.

John macf

I recently had 7 days off due to a cough and worked asked me to ring 111.
Alls fine now, but now my wife is super annoyed that im working as theyve asked diabetics to self isolate.
Im an online driver. My work has put in place brilliant measures including wiping the entire cabin of the van down after each shift with giant antibacterial wipes. Hand gels in every van. Social distancing rules. No signitures required on handsets and the sets themselves are also wiped down every shift.
I love my job. I also love my wife and hate to see her so anxious, but cant help the feeling that its an over reaction at the moment.
My blood is under excellent control. Ive always looked after myself. Dont drink never smoked etc.
Im sleeping in the caravan on the drive to try and reduce her anxiety, but it doesnt seem to be helping much. Im getting in the neck before i go and after i come home.
What should i really be doing? Am i ok to work or do i have to self isolate and be off yet again?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
do I want to continue to work or take 12 weeks off work 10 weeks fully paid.

Given that as a choice, I'd go for it. Especially as you are in an 'at risk' group. Anyone showing symptoms doesn't know how long they have had the virus and been giving it to others. The whole idea is to prevent the spread so that NHS services aren't overwhelmed by the number of people requiring intensive care.

I don't know what other help is now being offered by HM Government, but you've already been offered a good option, take it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
New I work in a Supermarket and interacting with the public on checkouts

Are there useful jobs you could do for them unloading HGV etc, or stacking shelfs while closed or outside or even as a delivery driver? (However remember the other staff are as much a risk to you then the public as they are exposed to the public.)

Mintski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a plumbing merchants so have constant contact with customers and also from there customers so possible carriers of this covid. I can work from home to some aspect but not completely sure if taking the time to isolate myself is actually needed. The only thing I've noticed over the last week is I have a really runny nose and caughing up flem from my chest apart from that I feel perfectly fine.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could the plumber merchants put in a system so customers orders on the internet/phone then collect from a counter outside the building?

It would increase the likely of me using a merchant at present if they did so.

Mintski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be done with certain customers but as we are retail aswell some of them actually need to come in

Invisey

Hi, I work in a supermarket aswell and I have type 1 diabeties. I like you was took aside and asked if I wanted to isolate for 12 weeks with full pay because of my condition. I took the advice of what they said and have been isolating since 18th March. However Friday I get a call from work saying I needed to change my code of pay to self isolation of 14 days. Any more time off I would need a letter from the NHS which should be sent by the 29th March whitch is today. My girlfriend has a friend with type 1 diabetes and he has had a text from his doctors saying he high risk and needs to isolate for 12 week. So like you I'm in the dark about what's happening. I will ring my doctors or the diabetic unit at my local hospital on Monday and keep you posted.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I recall correctly, Diabetes is only considered high risk if the most recent A1c is over 77 and/or hospital admission for DKA in last 12 months. Otherwise diabetes puts us in the middle risk group.

Personally if I worked in a supermarket, I would see if I could move to deliveries, "click and collect" or a well spaced out warehouse.

KevGr

Supermarket manager here too.
I cant work from home but am in an office upstairs which is used just for me doing admin etc. Im in there all day and the only time i interact with the public is if i do any shopping at the end of my shift.
Ideal world i want to be at home for 12 weeks, but i am type 1 and really well managed.
I was considering taking 2 weeks holiday but its not really a dent on how long this will last.
Like a lot of people i just feel run down and a bit coldy due to being anxious and tired

Reactions: ringi

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also experiencing confusion as to whether I should be isolating for 12 weeks, I'm type 1 diabetic and work in a care home so cannot work from home. Work have suggested I could isolate but would need a letter from a medical professional supporting my decision to isolate. I worry most because I live with my parents, my father is over 70 and they're both isolating so at the minute I am the only risk to their health. Feeling very stressed and run down and my anxiety has worsened.

Dark Horse

I'm also experiencing confusion as to whether I should be isolating for 12 weeks, I'm type 1 diabetic and work in a care home so cannot work from home. Work have suggested I could isolate but would need a letter from a medical professional supporting my decision to isolate. I worry most because I live with my parents, my father is over 70 and they're both isolating so at the minute I am the only risk to their health. Feeling very stressed and run down and my anxiety has worsened.
Presumably visitors are no longer allowed at the care home? That will reduce the chance of any resident picking up the virus and passing it to you. Plus all the staff should now be following social distancing rules, again reducing the chances of you picking up the virus.

At home you could follow the advice for if a member of the household gets symptoms of Covid-19:- avoid being in the same room as your parents; use a separate bathroom, if possible, but clean the bathroom surfaces after use if not; don't use the kitchen at the same time as your parents; allow plenty of fresh air into the rooms you do use.

Think about the tasks you do at work and whether there is a way they can be modified to reduce the risk of viral transmission. Also, consider whether you can take annual leave or unpaid leave for a few weeks.

Plus, of course, be stringent about frequent hand-washing, both at work and at home, and avoiding touching your face.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
I have type 1 diabetes and a rare genetic condition and also work as a retail security officer at a well known supermarket chain,and decided to self isolate due to my low immune system for 12 weeks, anyone think this is the right thing to do

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I have type 1 diabetes and a rare genetic condition and also work as a retail security officer at a well known supermarket chain,and decided to self isolate due to my low immune system for 12 weeks, anyone think this is the right thing to do
If your immune responses are compromised then you may be at greater risk if you get Covid19, but I’m not an expert, a doctor or a scientist, just basing my response on what I’ve read, and what I’ve heard. If it were me, and my immune response was compromised, I’d isolate.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

To protect your father and the care home, is it practical to move into the care home for the next 13 weeks?

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I work in a Supermarket and interacting with the public on checkouts and on the floor. I havent shown any symptoms of the virus. But today towards end of my shift a manager pulled aside another worker and told them to get there stuff they have to go home and self isolate for 12 weeks. Found out she has type 2 diabetes, so I was like maybe i should let my manager know about me being type 1 diabetic see what he says. The message i got back was more of a choice that it's up to me to decide do I want to continue to work or take 12 weeks off work 10 weeks fully paid. I'm not sure on what I want to do, as I said I have no signs right now and I'm able to work. But I'm sure like rest of you worried just incase catch it, in saying that could catch it anywhere maybe not even from work, but I'm just confused on what to do now

Hi and good morning, tbh as you are type 1, you should of let managers know because of taking Insulin.
I don't know why someone should isolate for 12 weeks because they have diabetes, unless they are in the extremely vulnerable risk group.
Please let your employers/manager know asap, it's to keep you safe in the working environment and also to make any adjustments.
https://beyondtype1.org/laws-that-protect-people-with-type-1-diabetes/
The decision on what to do, may now be taken out of your hands now.
Good luck and stay safe.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To protect your father and the care home, is it practical to move into the care home for the next 13 weeks?

Unfortunately there's no facilities for staff to sleep within the home. I don't think I could cope either, it's very emotionally draining.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hmmmm, well I would say they have pretty much all they need to make a decision, ie the Govt UK website which has ALL the advice on and also what employers should be doing, especially if an employee falls within the 'vulnerable' category (the very vulnerable are already being catered for). Do not let your work put an extra onus on you, they know you are type 1, they can read the govt advice and then they can make their decision. You actually don't need a letter which will only reiterate what's already out there. Force your employers to write down WHY they are not coming to a decision bearing in mind your work, make them record their rationale. IF after that they require more medical records they can ask your medical team! They seem to be ignoring THEIR responsibilities so tactfully point it out to them by sending them an email cutting & pasting the govt advice and state that you need this done now because you are at a heightened risk every hour you are there. I have just followed my own advice and hey presto, 'go home' was the reply. x