I have a problem...

hrpuffnstuff

Hello all
I dont post much as i like to try and solve problems myself, that way IMHO it makes me more aware.

However, i cant seem to find answers to my problem...hopefully some of you cant help.

Type 1 30 yrs
Completed DAFNE course 2019
I'm 2 units to 10grams carbs (I increased this about 3 weeks ago as 3 hors after the evening meal my BS didnt go down below 10)
levimir ...34 units 2 x day
Novarapid...whatever carbs I eat
Night time....this is my problem
After evening meal, which I have 2 apps to help me with calculations of carbs and what amount f insuli
Now this has only been like this for the last 2 weeks
My BS go LOW
Im on the Abbott Libre sensor, when i take the reading when i wake up the graph shows I dipped to 3.1 (last night it showed 2.9)
I used to wake up, my body sensing something was wrong and i wold rectify the low BS..but the past 2 nights I haven't woken up.
Any suggestions please?
I dont want to ring my nurse as they're busy helping the other nurses

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all
I dont post much as i like to try and solve problems myself, that way IMHO it makes me more aware.

However, i cant seem to find answers to my problem...hopefully some of you cant help.

Type 1 30 yrs
Completed DAFNE course 2019
I'm 2 units to 10grams carbs (I increased this about 3 weeks ago as 3 hors after the evening meal my BS didnt go down below 10)
levimir ...34 units 2 x day
Novarapid...whatever carbs I eat
Night time....this is my problem
After evening meal, which I have 2 apps to help me with calculations of carbs and what amount f insuli
Now this has only been like this for the last 2 weeks
My BS go LOW
Im on the Abbott Libre sensor, when i take the reading when i wake up the graph shows I dipped to 3.1 (last night it showed 2.9)
I used to wake up, my body sensing something was wrong and i wold rectify the low BS..but the past 2 nights I haven't woken up.
Any suggestions please?
I dont want to ring my nurse as they're busy helping the other nurses

I'd personally say thats surely quite obvious...

Your injecting too much for what you are eating. Especially if you have upped your dosage recently.

Of course i know dosage varies per person however 34 units of levimir Twice a day! This takes a long time to peak so maybe lower your night time dose

All the best?

Reactions: slikwipman

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi - as we know there are so many things that effect b/s.

Simplest way of getting on top of this quickly is to make your last meal before bed at least 3 or 4 hours before sleep, so you can take a final reading / look at trend when most of your nova will have been used up.

If ok and you still go low overnight then you could reduce the 2nd levimir dose.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do note that the libre can be incredible inaccurate when the level is under 5, also sleeping on the sensor can make it show lower than it is as well, so it's possibly you weren't actually that low (the only way to know would be to do a blood test).
You probably want to do some basal testing though to see whether your basal amount is correct, you may need less for overnight for example (I'm sure someone else can explain what that involves far better than I can or provide a link)
Also many people find their carb ratios differ between certain times of the day, so you should check that after you've tested your basal.

Reactions: hrpuffnstuff

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I agree with @Rokaab the libre when compressed can give false low readings during the night - best way to check for sure is do a 3am alarm call to check on your meter before changing your insulin dosages.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Could the increase in bs you experienced three weeks ago have been because you were affected by some external event, or a bug? Only wondering.
If it were me I’d try a basal test, and/or an experimental return to your previous evening dosing.
If you can afford it there’s also a device called a MiaoMiao Libre Reader which you can programme to give alerts when your bs is outside a range that you set on it. It’s made in China. It sits on top of the sensor and communicates through an app on your phone.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
I'd personally say thats surely quite obvious...

Your injecting too much for what you are eating. Especially if you have upped your dosage recently.

Of course i know dosage varies per person however 34 units of levimir Twice a day! This takes a long time to peak so maybe lower your night time dose

All the best?

I was told Levemir lasts 24 hours and to inject once a day so would like to know why some have to inject twice daily, thanks

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was told Levemir lasts 24 hours and to inject once a day so would like to know why some have to inject twice daily, thanks
I was originally told that as well, but noticed after several years (when I first got Libre) as I approached the 24 hour mark my b/s was rising. Speaking with consultant she said that Levemir's profile is more like 18-20 hours for many (though for some it will last the 24).

So i also then started spitting the dose into morning and evening and got much better results.

However, i've now switched to Tresiba at just once per day and that is much better (for me).