I DID IT!

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
LOL Sorry, I'm all excited! I just got my latest HbA1c result..... (drum roll)

5.2%, down from 7.3%

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Very well done Eiche. Keep it there :D

Eiche

Dislikes
Thanks everyone :D There we can see that doing as you're told, will get the right results :p

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Eiche said:
Thanks everyone :D There we can see that doing as you're told, will get the right results :p
Weel done - but who told you?

Eiche

Dislikes
Well IanD....

My excellent diabetes doctor, nurse and consultant and not to forget my dietitian too. AAAAAAAAAAAND last but certainly not least everyone here with their advice and recipes and encouragement :D

P.S. I also lost 4 stone (25 kg) in weight which I'm sure helped a lot too :D

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic! Well done! I hope I have a similar result in a few weeks time.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, Fantastic news am so pleased for you, bet your chuffed to bits !
How long did it all take? and how-did you achieve this ?
You could end up pointing/steering others into achieve this for themselves [me too !]
With your story ...
Anna.x :D

Eiche

Dislikes
How did I do it and how long did it take... well firs let me say this... Having diabetes to me is not a big deal anymore. It is only a big deal, when people make it so. I don't deprive myself of a sweet treat and I haven't stopped eating pasta and bread and rice, I just have it in moderation! I relax and enjoy and only test when I don't feel right. In the beginning I was all panicky and I was frustrated when nothing would go the way the doctor said..... but with time I calmed down, took it one day at a time and did as I was told and here I am, a happy diabetic camper :D

I was diagnosed in June last year so to get to this point, it took 16 months.... I did as my doctor told me, adjust my diet accordingly, lost 4 stone in weight and on advice of my dietitian and diabetes nurse, I joined this place and learned from all you guys what was a no no and what was a yes yes to eat and drink, took my medications as I was told and listened to the diabetes consultant in the hospital. The most important thing though was to lose weight! I weight at my heaviest 25 stone Now I am down 4 dress sizes and am fitter then I have ever been. I didn't join a gym or did hours of bone crunching exercise, I just took daily walks, starting with taking my daughter to school and picking her up and walking the long way home each time and then I increased my walks in length bit by bit till I hit the 2 mile range. I am still to lose loads of weight and in a few days, I have an appointment with a bariatric surgeon and his team in a group session to talk about the surgeries they offer for obese diabetics ... I'm a little flustered at the moment as I might have slipped under the BMI target for this surgery :lol: We'll see :wink:

ANYWAY, not to write a book, the best advice I can give is set yourself small little targets and keep doing it till you get where you have to be. AND for those who have trouble with the health pros..... SPEAK UP, BE HEARD WHEN THINGS DON'T FEEL RIGHT!!! Don't let yourself be fobbed off by doctors, nurses and so on! Insist on being taken seriously!!! Only YOU know how you feel and know when something isn't right!!!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Thanks for your story and great pointers, I really enjoyed reading it... :D
You have clearly found the right care plan and a great HCP team to guide and support you too.
What I like about your story and advice is that it was all simply commonsense things you did with sheer determination.
You even point out to do things in copeable sized ways, as its all too easy to set the goal too high and give up.
Wonderful easy to grasp pointers and done in a great matter of fact style and way. [no waffleing in fancy speech]
You should be very proud of yourself, you deserve that glow of self pride!
Much love and thoughts.
Anna.x :D

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Well done Eiche, a great inspiration for many.

Keep up the great work, it's also great to read how hard you worked to get where you are. I'm not surprised your one happy diabetic camper! :)

Eiche

Dislikes
That's the thing Anna. We tend to try and do everything at the same time and we want it to work right away! But that's not how it works! It takes at least a month for your body to show some reaction to your medication and often it's the side effects that make us feel down. But if you tell yourself that "If I feel nauseated, sleepy, bloated and have *ahem* wind, then the medication is trying to do it's thing", it won't seem as bad. Some have it worse then others and some have underlying conditions which make everything an even harder struggle, not to mention the day to day stress we have to put up with.... It takes willpower with a side serving of determination to keep on top of it all and if you take it one day at a time, find a way of coping with side effects, up and down sugar readings and not lose your head when your level rises above 9mmol/L, then it will quickly become a routine. Small little baby steps :D

juliegeorge13

Me too!!!!
I am so pleased with myself too, my last results were 8.6 and just ten weeks later I am now 5.1 and 2 stone lighter as well. I didnt do it alone I joined Slimming world to help me foodwise and Walking for health (my local group) at Richmond. The walking for health people are great as I am disabled they were very kind and I walked at my own pace, gradually getting faster and walking further and I can now keep up with them at their pace. My general health has improved and I now have lots of energy and dont fall asleep watching telly any more. They have groups all over the country so if you think it could help you too just google "Walking for health".
I feel great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love ya,Jools

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eiche said:
How did I do it and how long did it take... well firs let me say this... Having diabetes to me is not a big deal anymore. It is only a big deal, when people make it so. I don't deprive myself of a sweet treat and I haven't stopped eating pasta and bread and rice, I just have it in moderation! I relax and enjoy and only test when I don't feel right. In the beginning I was all panicky and I was frustrated when nothing would go the way the doctor said..... but with time I calmed down, took it one day at a time and did as I was told and here I am, a happy diabetic camper :D

I was diagnosed in June last year so to get to this point, it took 16 months.... I did as my doctor told me, adjust my diet accordingly, lost 4 stone in weight and on advice of my dietitian and diabetes nurse, I joined this place and learned from all you guys what was a no no and what was a yes yes to eat and drink, took my medications as I was told and listened to the diabetes consultant in the hospital. The most important thing though was to lose weight! I weight at my heaviest 25 stone Now I am down 4 dress sizes and am fitter then I have ever been. I didn't join a gym or did hours of bone crunching exercise, I just took daily walks, starting with taking my daughter to school and picking her up and walking the long way home each time and then I increased my walks in length bit by bit till I hit the 2 mile range. I am still to lose loads of weight and in a few days, I have an appointment with a bariatric surgeon and his team in a group session to talk about the surgeries they offer for obese diabetics ... I'm a little flustered at the moment as I might have slipped under the BMI target for this surgery :lol: We'll see :wink:

ANYWAY, not to write a book, the best advice I can give is set yourself small little targets and keep doing it till you get where you have to be. AND for those who have trouble with the health pros..... SPEAK UP, BE HEARD WHEN THINGS DON'T FEEL RIGHT!!! Don't let yourself be fobbed off by doctors, nurses and so on! Insist on being taken seriously!!! Only YOU know how you feel and know when something isn't right!!!
WELL DONE!!! :D
This is such a great post! I'm in a similar posistion to you were, at my heaviest I was just over 24.. Now nearly 4 months later I'm down to 21 and feel sooo much better already. Also had my first Hba1c since diagnosis and it was 6% so I'm very happy today.
Well done again, you really are an inspiration :)