GlucoRx Nexus Blood Glucose Monitoring System

barb1

I am considering purchasing the above monitor as the consumables are much cheaper than those for my current meter, which is a Bayer Contour.

Does anyone have one of these meters, do you find it accurate?
Is the finger stab any more painful than any other system you've used?

It appears that you can get the monitor for £4.95, the strips for just over £11.00 and the lancets for around £6.50. As the strips for the Contour are around £21.00 that would make a lot of difference.

I am a Type 2 diabetic and although the doctor doesnt recommend testing for Type 2's, I want to know what my blood sugar level is, so have to purchase the items.

I would be grateful for any comments

Thanks

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can use any 'finger stabber' you like. Many of the lancets fit different stabbers. I use an Optium one with a One Touch meter - I didn't like the one touch one that came with the meter.

markd

I had one of the original GlucoRX monitors, the one on the left of this page:

http://www.glucorx.co.uk/

I got it because, like you, I was attracted by the low priced consumables.

I found it was very inaccurate and repeatability was very poor. I also found that it was hard to get the blood to be taken up by the test strip.

The new Nexus meter may be completely different, of course - it certainly looks quite neat and has a PC interface option. Don't know if it uses the same strips or not; if so, you may find it really doesn't want to 'wick' the blood up and is rather fiddly.

If you get one, please post your experiences - I'm sure a lot of people would like a meter with far cheaper running costs - so long as easy to use and reliable.

mark

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi barb1
I got a Carens meter free from the makers I think the strips are a reasonable price but I always use my Accuchek multiclix lancets much the easiest to use and almost pain free :D
CAROL

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I used one for the first time last night. Replaced a Freestyle Freedom Lite.
I found the wicking to be good, probably better than the Freestyle, you can actually see the blood run down into the strip.
The lancet was a bit more painful, but I have to use both on 4 to get any blood out. Both same to use a big drop of blood. (But then I'm new to it, so maybe it just looks big to me)

I can't comment on the accuracy, as I ran out of strips on the Freestyle without thinking about it, otherwise I would have tested with both at the same time.
It gave a reading in the range I was expecting, having even a similar meal and tested before though.

Hesperus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just switched to the Nexus from the Onetouch Ultra as my surgery insists it is cheaper and 'accurate' to find my blood sugar jumping all over the place. I did check it against the Onetouch and it ranged over 10 readings from 17% over to 21% under. Just one of the ten readings was the same! Currently it is recording high numbers which is odd as I have just cut my carbs again and am certainly not eating more than before. I am decidedly uneasy about it.