New ... and I have a question...

robertFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been diabetic type 1 since 1973, haven’t thus far any underlying health conditions, which I can only praise my mother and father for keeping me in check in my younger years...

Does anyone think that the current governments choice of vulnerable people should include diabetes?

I am not saying it’s due to our condition, since some have feet, eye, sensory, issues caused by long term diabetes, it is this:

Sainsbury are currently only offering Coronavirus vulnerable people home delivery slots, but diabetes isn’t included in the governments list, the unknowing knock on effect for diabetes - who are vulnerable - since our immune system (which caused diabetes in the first place) has been compromised.

So if Tesco, Morrison’s, ASDA, Waitrose, etc follow suit, how can people with diabetes self isolate, when we cannot get food deliveries?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @robertFE
As you mention it would depend on whether an individual has other additional conditions and their general health. The guidelines for people with diabetes seem to be the same as for everyone else otherwise. I.e. Stat at home, social distancing on going out which includes shopping for food and , medical supplies or appointments,etc.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/mar/coronavirus-i-have-diabetes-am-i-at-a-greater-risk.html

Of course we each need to assess our own circumstances, but generally need to follow guidelines for the majority of people.

robertFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Pipp

My problem, which isn't I suspect singular to myself, is my most local supermarket is 15 miles from my home, so under the governments current distancing rules, that would not perhaps be deemed essential travel.
But where I live we have no shops, no pubs, no streetlights, no doctors surgery, no pharmacy, no newsagent, no regular bus...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Pipp

My problem, which isn't I suspect singular to myself, is my most local supermarket is 15 miles from my home, so under the governments current distancing rules, that would not perhaps be deemed essential travel.
But where I live we have no shops, no pubs, no streetlights, no doctors surgery, no pharmacy, no newsagent, no regular bus...
Where and how do you usually shop? I expect that would be infrequently, too?

robertFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to travel to Salisbury, I am less than 5 miles away from Stonehenge, and there ain’t many shops around... we have Warminster to right, Salisbury to left, I’m stuck in the middle without any ability to buy ragu.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am at home in shielding group due to being on meds for another condition that supress my immune system. I would avoid supermarkets at the best of times, but have found a local Deli farm shop has diversified and will deliver food boxes. It is a bit of pot luck as to what is in them, but all good. Just have to be inventive with the meals I create. Perhaps you could find a similar supplier near you? Certainly means less contact with the masses at supermarkets.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Pipp

If you have no food and the only way to get some is to drive to a shop i can’t think of a clearer example of essential.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Social distancing people (as opposed to self isolators and those being shielded) can leave home to shop for essential items such as food and medicines. It seems to me you are in the social distancing group and therefore permitted to leave home to shop for essential items. I can't see the actual distance from your home to the nearest food shop matters, as long as that is all you are doing, and doing it as infrequently as possible.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi, I have been diabetic type 1 since 1973, haven’t thus far any underlying health conditions, which I can only praise my mother and father for keeping me in check in my younger years...

Does anyone think that the current governments choice of vulnerable people should include diabetes?

I am not saying it’s due to our condition, since some have feet, eye, sensory, issues caused by long term diabetes, it is this:

Sainsbury are currently only offering Coronavirus vulnerable people home delivery slots, but diabetes isn’t included in the governments list, the unknowing knock on effect for diabetes - who are vulnerable - since our immune system (which caused diabetes in the first place) has been compromised.

So if Tesco, Morrison’s, ASDA, Waitrose, etc follow suit, how can people with diabetes self isolate, when we cannot get food deliveries?
Hi @robertFE and welcome to the great forum. You raise an interesting point regarding the immune system. I have been on at least 9 immunosuppressants a day since 2013. Until 2 weeks ago I was working at a school - for 25 years. I hope to return.Throughout those years many viruses have riddled the children and staff, but out of the staff I rarely caught any of them (except Swine Flu - having had a flu jab!), and have remained resistant to this day. About 4 years ago I pointed this out to an immunologist at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge and he said:
"Are you a Rugby player/"
"Blimey, I haven't played since the 70's!"
"Ah, but you know what I'm talking about. Think of your immune system like the first two rows of the scrum. Your front row has been knocked for six, but the second row is immensely strong".
Being a transplant patient means that I am on the At greatest risk register, but I have no crystal ball to see whether the immunologist's words could be safely tested. Certainly I am less anxious than my wife.
Here's hoping you steer clear and well fed! Good luck.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with those that have said 'essential food shopping' will require you going to the nearest food shop that stocks what you need. Different people will have to travel different distances for this, but they will all have the same 'essential' requirement.

Stringent social distancing necessary for everyone, of course.

There are also other options for having food delivered, as @Pipp mentioned.
Local businesses seem to be stepping up very well indeed.
Our local butcher is rushed off his feet with home deliveries, and his staff are doing a marvellous job.
Amazon are still delivering, although some of their food items are less numerous.
There are veg box suppliers nowadays that bring the order to your door.

Worth having a look for local businesses who are doing this, as well as the national companies.