Hello, new to forum, how to lower carb in Jamaica?

HowD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m new.

I’m 38 & Pre-D
My Mum is 76 & T2
Mum found out last month, I found out 2 weeks ago. Mum lives in Jamaica, so whatever info I receive regarding T2 I will forward to her.

I’m most interesting in what food or diet changes my Mum would need to keep her levels low or balanced & hopefully reduced meds. In Jamaica they love to load you up with drugs as it’s money in heir pocket.

I’d also like to know what I need to do diet wise to reverse my Pre-D.

Details on my mum to come when I know them. I am
38, 5’9, 60kg/9.4st/132.2lbs
What should my daily carb, fats etc be? I have no clue about any of this so your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m new.

I’m 38 & Pre-D
My Mum is 76 & T2
Mum found out last month, I found out 2 weeks ago. Mum lives in Jamaica, so whatever info I receive regarding T2 I will forward to her.

I’m most interesting in what food or diet changes my Mum would need to keep her levels low or balanced & hopefully reduced meds. In Jamaica they love to load you up with drugs as it’s money in heir pocket.

What should my daily carb, fats etc be? I have no clue about any of this so your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Howdy @HowD. Sorry, couldn’t resist.
Welcome to you, and your mum. She could join too. There are members from many countries, not just UK.
Have you seen the info provided for new members yet?
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Have a read, and come back to ask questions. Our members are helpful, and generally friendly, too.

This thread from a few years ago was something that really helped me.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/
Best wishes
Pipp

Reactions: HowD

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m new.

I’m 38 & Pre-D
My Mum is 76 & T2

Thank you.

Hi @HowD ,

Welcome to the forum.

You mentioned your mum was on meds? What medication is she prescribed?
This may help with the type of advice received to pass on to her..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HowD - I managed to reverse my Ta whilst sailing in the Caribbean for a number of months. Of course, it meant that rice and peas weren't on my menu, but it can be done - jerk chicken without the rice and peas or yam, as an example, but there's plenty to eat all up and down that island chain.

As others have said, we'd need to know a little about your Mum's meds before making any firm suggestions.

HowD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Thank you for your comments. I tried to message before but it wouldn’t post.

My mum is taking Metformin. Her fasting blood sugar is usually around 9.4.

@pip Thank you for the links.
@Jaylee I hope the info above is all you require.
@DCUKMod congrats on reversing it. That’s what I hope for my Mum & myself.

Looking forward to hearing from you all again.

D...

Reactions: Pipp and DCUKMod

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best of luck, @HowD . Do keep on posting to let folks know how you are doing.
Best wishes to you mum, too.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dr. Bernstein has a good list of food and drink to avoid: it's very comprehensive and may be a little too extreme for some, but at least you know what is best avoided for diabetes. I'll quote it from Wikipedia below.

AVOID-all foods with added sugar or honey such as desserts, candies, and pastries; all foods made from grains and grain flours such as breads, cereals, pasta, and rice; all starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, and beans; all fresh or preserved fruits and fruit juices; all dairy products except for butter, cream, and fermented cheeses, as well as full fat yogurt(for dairy products the more the fat content the less carbohydrate content)

It looks like quite a lot, until you realise that almost everything not on the list is ok. Meat is fine, eggs, fish, leafy vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli, red wine, spirits. Beer is made of grain, and it's a bit carby, Fruit is bad because it's packed with sugar. Doesn't matter if it's natural, doesn't matter if it's organic, sugar is terrible for diabetics. Skimmed milk is bad. Milk isn't good in general, but skimmed is the worst- stripped of fat, it's just all sugar. Don't touch it- get some cream if you can instead. Oatmeal is terrible. Rice is terrible. Bananas are terrible. It's confusing because you get told glucose rich foods are healthy: it's nonsense, especially for you.

The simple fact is that glucose is terrible for pre-diabetics, and the less glucose you can eat, the better.

HowD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. Bernstein has a good list of food and drink to avoid: it's very comprehensive and may be a little too extreme for some, but at least you know what is best avoided for diabetes. I'll quote it from Wikipedia below.

AVOID-all foods with added sugar or honey such as desserts, candies, and pastries; all foods made from grains and grain flours such as breads, cereals, pasta, and rice; all starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, and beans; all fresh or preserved fruits and fruit juices; all dairy products except for butter, cream, and fermented cheeses, as well as full fat yogurt(for dairy products the more the fat content the less carbohydrate content)

It looks like quite a lot, until you realise that almost everything not on the list is ok. Meat is fine, eggs, fish, leafy vegetables, cauliflower, broccoli, red wine, spirits. Beer is made of grain, and it's a bit carby, Fruit is bad because it's packed with sugar. Doesn't matter if it's natural, doesn't matter if it's organic, sugar is terrible for diabetics. Skimmed milk is bad. Milk isn't good in general, but skimmed is the worst- stripped of fat, it's just all sugar. Don't touch it- get some cream if you can instead. Oatmeal is terrible. Rice is terrible. Bananas are terrible. It's confusing because you get told glucose rich foods are healthy: it's nonsense, especially for you.

The simple fact is that glucose is terrible for pre-diabetics, and the less glucose you can eat, the better.

Wow... thank you. The list isn’t as bad as I thought. I don’t drink milk nor eat meat, just fish & eggs. I only eat sweet Tayta, bulgur, quinoa & veg mainly. I can make the small adjustments. Mum needs to remove everything as she’s T2 & I’m Pre-D.

I will check out Dr. B & see what more he’s advising.

Thanx again @Geordie_P