Unexpected temperature

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I work for an agency , as a care worker. I've only been to one place for the past 2 months, especially with is covid 19. All staff temperature is taken at the beginning of each shift.
My temp has been absolutely fine, normal. Yesterday it was 36.3, however I was working a late, starting at 14.00, had lunch before work. Rump steak, onion, red peppers and mushrooms. Breakfast had plain alpro yogurt, raspberries and blueberries my fasting sugars was 6.3. Tested at 20.30 it was 6.0.
Crux of the matter, my temp was 38.5. Having just eaten my blood sugars would elevate making me feel hot, would that push my temp up, the thermometer was the infer red, which is pointed at the forehead and yet the tympanic thermometer registered normal.
I no longer do my walking football, which helped keep my sugar levels under control.

I've let slip my carb intake and my Bms are starting to creep up. Elevated Bms symptoms are being hot. Unfortunately I developed a productive cough, Yesterday.
If I truly had a temp that high would feel awful and incapable of working which I don't.
I was able to work because of the normal reading of the T Thermometer.

I'm still T2 diet controlled diabetic.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you have had a high temperature (albeit not matched by another meter) and a cough (albeit productive) and you work in care? No way would I be working in that situations. I’d be self isolating, not looking for reasons not to. 6.3 isn’t that high a bgl to mess with temperature imo. Sorry just my opinion.

Reactions: JRT

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fine Hsss. My question really is, can high blood sugars push up temp, after eating, if someone is hyperglycimic, symptoms will be hotness to the touch, therefore the thermoniter will detect the skin changes. My highest has been 8.7.

It has all been discussed in work, and have been following guidelines to a T, plus I have been very strict. Self isolation, even from seperate towels, not sleeping together or touching and so on and that was 100%, this has been happening for a while. I was concerned that it was a new cough.

To be fair, I went down the correct channels and was prounced fit to work by the clinical lead nurse. I expected to be sent home. My cough is not a covid 19, I did not cough once in work today. I took the precautionary routes that is all.
Other nurses think that the infra red thermometers are not accurate and the tympanic are a much better guideline.
I don't want to go into a heated discussion.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fine Hsss. My question really is, can high blood sugars push up temp, after eating, if someone is hyperglycimic, symptoms will be hotness to the touch, therefore the thermoniter will detect the skin changes. My highest has been 8.7.

It has all been discussed in work, and have been following guidelines to a T, plus I have been very strict. Self isolation, even from seperate towels, not sleeping together or touching and so on and that was 100%, this has been happening for a while. I was concerned that it was a new cough.

To be fair, I went down the correct channels and was prounced fit to work by the clinical lead nurse. I expected to be sent home. My cough is not a covid 19, I did not cough once in work today. I took the precautionary routes that is all.
Other nurses think that the infra red thermometers are not accurate and the tympanic are a much better guideline.
Not my intention either. Just my opinion. It’s good you sought and received approval and reassurance and are cautious. All sound positive.

I wouldn’t think bloods in the 6’s typically would raise temperatures they aren’t even classed as hyper post prandial. I personally have never noticed such and spend a lot of time in the 6’s and have checked temp both orally and tympanically a fair bit recently. Maybe it might minutely in the 8’s but I’ve not been there in a while (or not caught it there anyway). I’d have thought that was more an issue in the teens and upwards. I’d be interested if anyone has any facts on this too.

Reactions: EllieM

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Considering how many people come through this coronavirus with no or very few symptoms while being infectious and passing it on to others, I would be very, very, wary of not self-isolating, especially in your line of work.

If only healthcare staff had access to tests!

Last edited:

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been self distancing well before my cough. If I had developed the virus, it would have been from one of my co workers. Yes iit would be great if everyone was able to be tested in the care industry.
I'm highlighting those in working in care work,
Be so careful if just happening to have symptoms of hyperglymia feeling hot, the infrared thermometer will read a high temp. It will give a false positive, it only reads surface temp, not core temp which is important.
I cannot make the decision of refusing to work, it has to be up to both companies to decide that. Otherwise I would decide to stay at home.

I knew I would be stuffed if I develop my usual yearly cough, especially when son goes round opening Windows and switching heating off when its cold.

I did warn him what would happen,.
Tested BM 5.1 this morning,, thats fab. Just need to keep it that way.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
the thermometer was the infer red, which is pointed at the forehead and yet the tympanic thermometer registered normal.
I think the only thing you can learn from this is that either the one or the other thermometer isn't very accurate, or possibly both are off.

I think my mother had a valid point insisting there was only one foolproof way to check your temperature, however much I hated it as a child.
On the other hand, that thought makes this a pretty horrible notion :wideyed::
All staff temperature is taken at the beginning of each shift.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's what it says on the leaflet that came with my thermometer....

Normal body temperature is a range. The following table shows that this normal range also varies by site. Therefore, readings from different sites should not be directly compared.

Normal ranges by site:

Axillary: 34.7-37.3°C Oral: 35.5-37.5°C Rectal: 36.6-38.0"C

However, the range of normal also varies from person to person and fluctuates throughout the day.

it is therefore important to determine your normal temperature range. Practice taking temperatures on yourself and healthy family members to determine their normal temperature ranges.

No doubt the range for your forehead is also different.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Fever is typically defined as rectal temperature greater than 38° C (100.4° F), tympanic temperature greater than 38° C (100.4° F), oral temperature greater than 37.8° C (100° F), and axillary temperature greater than 37.2° C (99° F).

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello, I don’t think it would be from eating. I’ve had blood sugars after eating up to 25 and I wasn’t any hotter, I did however have the need to wee feel very tired and headache etc. It sounds more like a hot flush, just being a bit hotter and flustered at that particular time, of it was a high skin temperature. I tend to feel a bit hot and bothered when I hypo, and go below 4. But my face would probable look pale and feel sweaty.
If you’ve had normal temperature readings since, I’d go by those.
Hopefully you feel well. Your blood sugar levels seemed great!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to differentiate between pre and post covid. Pre covid sometimes I felt hot after eating, who would have thought to take temp. Unfortunately I do not have a thermometer at home.

I did some googling, apparently they are not accurate, the can only take surface temp. I will see if I can speak to my manager tomorrow, I do feel uncomfortable working. Better safe than sorry, I have never picked up a virus as an adult in care work. Even the dreaded noro virus, V & D or any flu in any description. In the 26 yrs of working, always followed universal precautions and I would be devastated if I did now.. it would be nice to know for sure, one way or another.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm annoying my other half insane, I havnt got fever and I'm not hot, don't have a continuous cough. I don't feel hot, my coughs not new, its exactly the same as I get each year.

It's all a pain.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the cough new now? What causes the cough normally? Can you be sure it is the same cause?

yep a major pain to most of the world sadly. I’m grateful that so far, for us in my circle, it’s no more than that.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's just my yearly cough, I dreaded it developing at this point, because of the virus. It's exactly the same no different what it is normally. I've just spoken on the phone to my sister, informed me that I would not be able to talk for the l enghth of time, as we did.
I would have had difficulty, in fact my sister coughed more, and she hasn't got it. Has to be careful because of MS.

What makes it a pain, I may have a cough and not have it, someone you never know, a co worker, asymptotic and does. Hence the lock down, Russian Roulette.
At least I have a few days off.