Not sure I have been correctly diagnosed... think I actually have type 1.5/LADA

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and in fact new symptoms are still appearing to add to the list.
sometimes the lowering of bgl trigger a whole new set of sensations. For example eyesight can temporarily get blurry as eye get used to no longer swimming in sugar. Neuropathy can feel worse as the nerves go from numb to pins and needles as the start to recover some function. The false hypos as you body tantrums at the lack of carbs. None of which are nice or pleasant but in a weird way are good signs you are regaining control.
This may or may not apply to you but it is possible and happens not infrequently.

Even if LADA armed with a meter you can keep an eye on yourself and act as Ellie suggests above if things do deteriorate. They may improve. You have a few weeks to try a bit more diet wise, slow things down somewhat whatever they are, get more and better data and breathe. Then reassess and see where you are and act from that vantage point. Good luck.

Reactions: JMoli

Safaristar

Thank you all of you so much for the helpful replies and suggestions. I am feeling more reassured now as to how I can best move forwards while I wait for more tests. I shall definitely drink more water, cut right back down on the carbs again then (I only phased in the odd bit when the doctor told me to as they thought I had gone too cold turkey on it!) and keep a close eye on the blood sugars. Thanks for the warning to keep a check on ketones and if blood sugars suddenly rise I will be prepared to act on this without delay.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the GP generally limit how many glucose strips you can have then? I was hoping to just request more as and when i need them on my prescription! She has given me 4 packs of metformin, but only 100 strips, so I don't have enough strips already to test four times a day for the medication I've been given!
Metformin doesn’t cause hypo so you wouldn’t get many test strips on prescription. I’m surprised you have been given any! As others have said, it is really the best way to see what your body is doing and how it’s responding to certain foods. Most type 2 self fund strips, especially if diet controlled.
Your numbers aren’t too high, type 1/lada is when your body is not producing enough or any insulin of its own. So you start to see very high blood sugar levels.
However, like you I had a family history of both type 1 and type 2. After having gestational twice I was told I was pre diabetic, then a year later type 2. Another nearly 2 years on, I have now been told Type 1 and am on insulin. But even on meds that made me try and produce insulin with each meal, my numbers where teens and twenties.

Swillbos

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was initially diagnosed as type 2 then rediagnosed seven years later as LADA. The exercise and low carb route weight loss worked well for me for a number of years. LADA is often associated with other autoimmune diseases (in my case long-standing thyroid disease). In the months before my re-diagnosis, it was obvious something had changed: try as I might I could not get my BS below the high teens, and I began to shed a lot of weight quickly and well beyond the desired level, and found HbA1C had surged to 107. This pattern of uncontrollably high blood sugars and rapid weight loss without trying is typical of LADA

It is not inconceivable that you will turn out to be LADA, but nothing in your sugar work screams out T1/LADA at this point. The weight loss could be a concern, but might simply reflect change in diet - one of many benefits of low carb.

Diabetes is definitely a marathon, not a sprint - good luck!

Reactions: HSSS

Safaristar

Thank you all. I spoke to my GP today who has confirmed that I should continue to take the metformin and hopefully the symptoms I am experiencing will continue to subside after a few more weeks.

Buzzer81

Hiya! I’m new here and to diabetes so i can’t really give you much in the way of advice or hope! But I’m sending support your way and hope things are getting better for you.

One thing from what you said was 2 pints of water. I’m downing 2 litres a day which is difficult but I do notice when I don’t get that much in me! So I’d recommend trying to drink more. I do sparkling water mainly to jazz things up a bit!!!! It works for me!!!! I’m not posh... honest!!!!

Anyway, good luck! And welcome!