On insulin, putting on weight

Shari68

I have only recently been rediagnosed as LADA, after almost 7 years of being mis diagnosed as type 2. I had been losing a lot of weight and was sent to a diabetes clinic. I started insulin 2 weeks ago and now I can't stop eating! I've put on almost a stone in weight. Coupled with coronavirus pandemic I have been self isolating and working from home, so I have not been keeping up with exercising.

Has anyone else experienced this (the can't stop eating part)?

joffy01582

I have only recently been rediagnosed as LADA, after almost 7 years of being mis diagnosed as type 2. I had been losing a lot of weight and was sent to a diabetes clinic. I started insulin 2 weeks ago and now I can't stop eating! I've put on almost a stone in weight. Coupled with coronavirus pandemic I have been self isolating and working from home, so I have not been keeping up with exercising.

I went from 18st to 24st after starting insulin ....watch what you eat and keep up on your blood sugars it can get crazy chasing your insulin/eating routine .....

Reactions: Shari68

joffy01582

You need to eat but still need to inject .....the less you eat the less insulin you'll need .....but when you throw exercise or activity into the equation then your sugars might drop ....then you'll eat and inject and the cycle starts all over again .

I hope that helps a little but as you've only just started the insulin journey keep in touch with your diabetes team and write down questions you want answering as they'll know more than your local surgery ....good luck

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
When I started on insulin, the serious dabetic doctors at the hospital all warned me that I would put on weight. It's a known fact.
Don't stress yourself over this common reaction, rather channel your efforts into controlling your weight, maybe a food diary, low carb' diet.
Good luck.