Type 2 Education

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Hi there is there any classes you can go to just had my meds increased and I don’t really no what’s good good or bad food. Finding it hard with carbs and all the other information on labels

For carb counting I use the MyFitnessPal app, you just scan the barcode to get the information needed, I find it a good check to go with my calculations

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Could you make sausage, bacon, egg, mushrooms etc for breakfast. Weetabix, or any cereal, is doing you no favours.

Anything from Greggs if it involves bread should also be avoided.

No bread, pasta, rice etc.

Have a look on dietdoctor.com for some ideas.

I have read a lot on here about discouraging weetabix but don’t understand why as they don’t cause big spikes, if this is because I use full fat milk I don’t know, also I am type 1 so shouldn’t really use comparisons

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 1 so shouldn’t really use comparisons
Indeedy. T2s are treated very differently. We can't process carbs. You can carb count for your insulin, T2s aren't usually on insulin and control their levels by not ingesting carbs.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I understand neither T1s or T2s can process carbs, but for different reasons. T2s in general, though not always, are insulin resistant but their pancreas does produce insulin. T1s on the other hand do not produce insulin and are insulin deficient.
Thus most T2s have to control their blood sugars by keeping tight control on their carb intake, while T1s have to regulate blood sugar by balancing their carb intake with insulin injections that replace that which isn't being produced by their pancreas.
I am described as T2 but have progressed (?) from being insulin resistant to insulin deficient, but do produce a little bit of insulin, so I now don't have to worry too much about carb intake so long as I inject insulin to cover the carbs. Still have to carb count, but can enjoy sweet treats and thanks to my CGM I very seldom have to stab a finger to see how things are going