Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Surely I can't be the only one praying for rain?

All this good weather and the 'current situation' seems to have brought everybody out. I want to go on a run without loads of people around.

*Please join me in my rain dance.:playful:

Joanna_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very well said!

Exactly what i said to the women on the 111 phoneline. I explained "im more vulnerable of becoming ill if i catch it according to most health services" yet the government say no according to you?

She said its up to your employer weather you get paid. Your not more at risk of catching, your an essential worker, you not following your contract if you dont go in and your supposed too.

I said dont you think thats a little contradicting..??

She didnt understand.

Acas has some really good advice regarding this on the section of "self-isolation and sick pay". If you call your GP and explain your situation and they agree that you need to go into self-isolation then you can get your self-isolation notes directly from the nhs website. Also if you are advised to go into self-isolation your employer doesn't have "a choice" whether to pay you. They HAVE TO pay you statutory sick pay. Also, if you do decide to call 111 for a second opinion (because this one is clearly ridiculous) then ask to speak to a 111 manager - it may help.

Reactions: Grannypat

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Acas has some really good advice regarding this on the section of "self-isolation and sick pay". If you call your GP and explain your situation and they agree that you need to go into self-isolation then you can get your self-isolation notes directly from the nhs website. Also if you are advised to go into self-isolation your employer doesn't have "a choice" whether to pay you. They HAVE TO pay you statutory sick pay. Also, if you do decide to call 111 for a second opinion (because this one is clearly ridiculous) then ask to speak to a 111 manager - it may help.
Just to add, this only all works in England.

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This will be an unpopular position, but I kind of lean in the other direction. When it comes right down to it, we are all responsible for ourselves. Government is there to serve, sure, but not to learn for us. There is only so much that can be done when very little is actually known. I think personal responsibility and weighing up the balance of evidence is a more sensible approach than expecting someone else to give us clarity in a situation where there is simply is none.

BoJo & Co don't have a crystal ball. Sure, they have direct access to the experts, but how often are experts in any field proven wrong? We of all people know only too well that it can be foolish to blindly follow established advice. Not that I'm saying anyone is actually wrong about anything, just that I think it's unrealistic and not even sensible to expect government to hold our hands through every twist and turn in life, particularly when no one can even know what really lies ahead or how the story will unfold.

Not challenging your view. More just sharing a different perspective. I guess I take a more nomadic and pragmatic approach to life than some, so I will not be at all surprised if the majority disagree.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.

I'm STILL waiting. It's like Mother Nature is playing a joke. It's just turned really cold again too 9like below freezing with the windchill).

Come on rain, send those viral super spreading kids inside.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Does anyone here reckon they could self-isolate for a year? To be clear I mean more from a mental standpoint.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely I can't be the only one praying for rain?

All this good weather and the 'current situation' seems to have brought everybody out. I want to go on a run without loads of people around.

*Please join me in my rain dance.:playful:

Aye, it was a lot quieter yesterday when I did my bike ride, less than half the number of people milling around I'd guess, but you forget how much a waterproof coat catches the wind when you're riding into it, although the same coat gives you the sail effect when the same wind's at your back which was quite fun :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Does anyone here reckon they could self-isolate for a year? To be clear I mean more from a mental standpoint.
Well here in the UK we started warehousing people in giant prisons in the sixteen hundreds with the building of naval prisons such as HMP Preston.
Thousands of men had no choice but to do it and thousands do it today in prisons around the world so I think the majority of people can survive it ok.
Prepare yourself mentally and yes you should be fine.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a carer and diabetic our boss says we need a letter saying we must stay at home but the government are not giving us them.

That's correct and that is because the govt has decided we do not fall into the very vulnerable group. I would say that on top of being vulnerable, you have another level of risk to deal with because you are a key worker and presumably working with other vulnerable people. You'd have to make a business case with your Boss obviously, maybe you could get a different type of note from your GP explaining that you in particular are in quite extenuating circumstances. x

philr59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suppose I can count myself lucky, I'm type 2 diabetic and I'm off work for 12 weeks on full pay.

jan.steamqueen67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*waves from an appropriate distance to fellow ambulance person*

Have you spoken to Occy Health?
one of my managers filled a form in to send to them but manager put me as low risk not heard anything back from them it was over a week ago

H23456

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok,
I work for DWP and have been working from home for the past 2 weeks. The Gov' has posted the following which may help:
Government launches Coronavirus Information Service on WhatsApp

The UK Government has today launched a GOV.UK Coronavirus Information service on WhatsApp.

The new free to use service aims to provide official, trustworthy and timely information and advice about coronavirus (COVID-19), and will further reduce the burden on NHS services.

This will help combat the spread of coronavirus misinformation in the UK, as well as helping ensure people stay home, protect the NHS and save lives.

The GOV.UK Coronavirus Information Service is an automated ‘chatbot’ service which will allow the British public to get answers to the most common questions about coronavirus direct from government.

The service will provide information on topics such as coronavirus prevention and symptoms, the latest number of cases in the UK, advice on staying at home, travel advice and myth busting.

The service will also allow the government to send messages to all opted-in users if required.

To use the free GOV.UK Coronavirus Information Service on WhatsApp, simply add 07860 064422 in your phone contacts and then message the word ‘hi’ in a WhatsApp message to get started.

A set of menu options is then presented which the user can choose from and then be sent relevant guidance from GOV.UK pages as well as links to GOV.UK for further information.

H23456

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok so I’m so confused do we have to self isolate for 12 weeks type 1 diabetics or not ?? I read the gov website I’m still not sure ???
Hi,
The government has set up a WhatsApp site to advise people -
To use the free GOV.UK Coronavirus Information Service on WhatsApp, simply add 07860 064422 in your phone contacts and then message the word ‘hi’ in a WhatsApp message to get started.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks I’m type I, with ckd. I work in social care I decided after my shift on Monday that I was not going to work I’m due back to work tomorrow . I emailed gp who replied and said stay home but discuss this with your employer. My employer has asked me to get self isolating certificate, I have emailed my gp and asked for one of these is any one else in this position and if so did your gp give you this certificate?

I'm pretty sure the self isolation certificate is the one on the Public Health England website which lasts for 7 days, or 14 if you are isolating for 14 days.

Unfortunately Government dithering has left a lot of people in the dark about this and vulnerable to unscrupulous management techniques.........your management needs to check with HR and OH departments as to policy. They still have a duty of care towards you, even during a pandemic...in fact more so.....

Reactions: PapaOrca

fatrats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
current confusion regarding life in general
hi am new here trying to find out about high HbA1c levels making you more vulnerable...if anyone knows please post x

hjm1986

Hi I just had a conversation this morning with my T1 diabetic nurse and there’s no reason to be self isolating for T1 diabetes alone. I’m self isolating as I have asthma as well. But just to confirm if you “just have” T1 diabetes my diabetic nurse says not to.

Reactions: fatrats

ANGEBABES

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am a T1 and have been for 25 years. I work in the NHS and have been fighting for weeks to work from home. We get sent a risk assessment form which was assessed by someone of the sane grade as me in which it sets out section one, which is all people with low immunity either due to their condition or due to medication they take for their condition. These are the people who should get a letter and should be shielding for 12 weeks. Section two is the category we are in and this is the section of people who aren’t at a greater risk of catching the virus but are still vulnerable of developing a serious illness and complications if they do develop the virus. Diabetes after all is an autoimmune disease itself which means your immune cells attack your healthy cells in different parts of your body, in type 1’s that’s your islet cells which produce insulin. As everyone knows diabetics don’t heal very well. So our chances of developing severe complications from Covid-19 are very high and thereby good chance of taking up a bed in critical care. When I was diagnosed my consultant told me that I could end up in hospital with a cold and that’s why sick day rules are so important. As I have got older my diabetes reacts quite badly to common viral illness and the last one in 2017, a tummy bug, in a matter of two days I ended up in a coma with a GCS of 5. My son found me unresponsive. By the time I reached hospital the A&E consultant told my family I may not make it. They were just about to intubate me and at the last second, with tube in my mouth, I made a groaning sound so they stopped. I ended up in ITU and then HDU before getting well enough to be looked after on a normal ward. So I wish with all my heart that someone would listen to our plight and let us protect ourselves at home. I don’t want to sit at home doing nothing, I still want to contribute and work from home but even giving all this information to my manager, my risk assessment failed. I also have high blood pressure and tachycardia along with gastroparesis which makes your digestion really slow so trying to synch insulin with food digestion is very difficult but Libre sensors have been a marvel to me. The government advise that anyone with diabetes, there is no difference between T1 and T2 that they know of so far, should work from home if you can work from home but I wish NHS Management would read that bit and show a bit of care to their staff. I have worked in the NHS for over 30 years and this is how you get treated when you need their help. They just don’t care. It depends which health authority you work in also because I know that all the non-clinical staff at other health authorities in Scotland have been sent home to work. They are supposed to be a caring profession. I really feel for the domestic who was writing earlier because one of our ward clerks had just went off with a cough, so it’s not just the doctors and nurses who are at risk, we all are. I thought their main aim was to stop vulnerable people taking up beds, well I think the NHS management missed that memo, we are vulnerable people and are being FORCED to come to work when we don’t need to as can easily work from home and are very likely to take up a bed. Do the math. Their latest excuse is there is a waiting list for IT to give remote access and the clinicians come first - thought most of them already had remote access and aren’t they the ones you need in the building and not at home. There should be as little staff as possible in the hospital to protect everyone. Rant over.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatrats

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
There is cause for concern in many countries - that the 'cure' could in fact result in many more deaths than intended. There is CONCRETE evidence than many one-day workers are dying from starvation because of their governments hasty action to protect their capitals by shutting down every mode of transport leaving the workers to walk many hundreds of kilos to their villages. No names no pack drill as they say but sections of other countries shut down all non-food premises laying off their staff without money AND THIS WAS EIGHT WEEKS AGO. The moral being - if COVID-19 doesn't kill you - your Government WILL. God help the so-called recovery aftermath - only the US has really done anything to ease the workers'[
plight. Countless small businesses will never recover.