Coronavirus

moorby86

Hi, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are around the coronavirus and their diabetes/dealing with things, are people worried etc.

My thoughts are as follows, (purely from a selfish point of view and without meaning to be insensitive) I am a type 1 diabetic of 32 years, I'm 34 so had it since I was 2. For me I am worried about people around me, family etc but the virus really doesn't concern me as I have been battling my own 'war' for many years with an illness that isn't going to go away- I am working from home, I have had many arguments with doctors etc in the past how I don't feel perfect control with my diabetes is possilbe with everyday life, I.e working, leisure, child care... in a perverse way the virus and staying in has made this a possibility and at the moment my control is near perfect I am managing to go for very long walks, exercising on an exercise bike and things I just do not have the time to do in 'real life' (obviously I wish the circumstances in which the opportunity has arose were different though)

thanks-

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
I'm similar to you in a way, I've had T1 diabetes for 44 years, and have always struggled to maintain "perfect" control. Just as I think I've got it right, it goes a bit wrong (not in a bad way). I'm struggling a bit at the moment with my control as I'm so out of routine, so trying to adjust to this new way of life, again not in a selfish way. Hope you manage to carry on with things keeping things good.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @moorby86 Only 8 years into my diagnosis, but after the initial anxiety regarding the virus dissipated I am now experiencing the best control i've had for a long time, less stress, more exercise, healthier eating, regular monitoring etc etc, there certainly is an upside to all of this for us ;)

Reactions: urbanracer

moorby86

I'm similar to you in a way, I've had T1 diabetes for 44 years, and have always struggled to maintain "perfect" control. Just as I think I've got it right, it goes a bit wrong (not in a bad way). I'm struggling a bit at the moment with my control as I'm so out of routine, so trying to adjust to this new way of life, again not in a selfish way. Hope you manage to carry on with things keeping things good.

Good luck too! My control over the last year is better than it's ever been to be honest, I hadn't had any complications but then started to have problems with my eyes and eventually surgery on one of them so that, have a child and growing up a bit has made me want to kick on but I agree I find perfect control impossible and that my body just seems to throw out erratic readings some times (but I guess that's the same for non diabetics too), I'm appreciating having the time to focus more on my diet/exercise and control at the moment, we have to take the positives!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it is great that you are having a little more time to focus on your diabetes and the fact it is due to a nasty virus is of no importance. We will all learn good things from this and I am grateful to have a fully paid and furloughed job for now.
IMO though when we all go back to normal life e.g not being a professional diabetic but having irregular meals and exercise plus variable stress, it is very tough to get anywhere close to good blood sugars and getting in under 7% is hardly a high bar although most of us fail to achieve it. I wish consultants would not imply that all we must do is try very much harder but never know anything about low carb or other actually useful ways to manage blood sugars.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My control has taken a real nose-dive this last couple of weeks since I stopped rushing around and doing shift work. Running much higher than I’d like. And I’m a bit bored, so can’t wait to get back to normal. I had it nailed before all this!

moorby86

Hello @moorby86 Only 8 years into my diagnosis, but after the initial anxiety regarding the virus dissipated I am now experiencing the best control i've had for a long time, less stress, more exercise, healthier eating, regular monitoring etc etc, there certainly is an upside to all of this for us ;)
Who knows, maybe some companies will realise people are capable of working from home part of the week and start incorporating that into the working week, which in turn will mean we've more time to work on our health- good luck with 'perfecting' your control

Jimmyc0808

I’ve been diabetic for 11 years now, my ****** sugars I still fight with on a daily basis. Although there normally flying around 8 I find that’s my happy figure. I recently posted about COVID and how I have been feeling last week or so. I’ve had some serve anxiety problems which I called doctor about. They prescribed me some tablets to help me sleep as I was getting my self so worked up. I know we’re all in the same boat, we are all here to help each other. Moorby I feel like your right it’s another war we have to fight and we have been fighting diabetes well what feels like fighting it for years.

Last edited by a moderator: