Frequency of RH symptoms

Drumbum

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,

I've had instances where I felt shakey, weak and hungry a couple of hours after my first meal (I do intermittent fasting as a choice anyway) and it caught me unaware while out and about twice in the past two weeks so I bought a meter and the next time it hit (at home at my desk, thankfully) I measured 65mg/dL.

My question is how often would you be expecting to have hypos? It's not an every day occurence for me.

I went to the doctor and she took bloods so I'm just waiting to hear back to see what the next step.

Is it weird that I hope it is RH and not "in my head", figuratively and literally.

On a side note, I've been reading up on RH more and interestingly the bit about the role of cortisol. My menstruation was always very regular up to about a year ago. Had that looked at and I had low cortisol and high prolactin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

Short answer ;) It depends.

Personally, I only get RH when the circumstances are right, which basically means eating too many carbs (and also, for me, that I have eaten gluten in the last few days).

It is different for everyone. Not everyone is affected by gluten as I am. And we all have different carb tolerances. And things like stress levels and activity levels also have an impact.

I also have high prolactin. I have a prolactinoma which is a benign tumour in the pituitry gland that pumps out masses more prolactin than normal. It is likely that this affects a great many things, from hormone balances and weight control, and a few others, including my blood glucose control. However, not everyone who has high prolactin has a tumour, there are other reasons too - from pregnancy to stress.

Reactions: Drumbum

Drumbum

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Brunneria

I had an MRI and it ruled out a prolactinoma.

The past 3 times have been following a breakfast containing oats but I've been eating oats for a long time. I can think of one brunch I went to that involved eggs and bread, a croissant and a french toast so while not involving oats it was clearly very carb heavy. I really didn't feel good about 3 hours later after that. One ingredient I can say for sure I had in all 4 instances is maple syrup.

So they won't necessarily say that it has to have happened an "X" amount of times over a "Y" amount of days then.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Brunneria

I had an MRI and it ruled out a prolactinoma.

The past 3 times have been following a breakfast containing oats but I've been eating oats for a long time. I can think of one brunch I went to that involved eggs and bread, a croissant and a french toast so while not involving oats it was clearly very carb heavy. I really didn't feel good about 3 hours later after that. One ingredient I can say for sure I had in all 4 instances is maple syrup.

So they won't necessarily say that it has to have happened an "X" amount of times over a "Y" amount of days then.

Oats or as we say porridge was how I got my referral and two hypos in front of my endocrinologist. No milk or sugar either, just boiled water and oats!
This was because all my dietary advice previous was to eat this supper food!
It wasn't super or healthy for me!
I always go hypo with oats, grains, whole wheat flour, starchy vegetables and anything else that contains a few carbs, I'm intolerant to dairy, just to make it a bit more complicated!
It does all depend on how much carbs you can tolerate!

When first diagnosed the usual dietary advice is to eat every two to three hours because that will negate the hypo by boosting your blood glucose levels. This won't stop the symptoms or the hypos if you miss eating and will still create too much insulin which causes the hypos.
If you are diagnosed with Hypoglycaemia, I would certainly consider a lower carb diet to help with control. Having normal blood glucose levels is always the best treatment, stopping the trigger is always the best treatment.

Best wishes

Drumbum

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn't even consider my diet to be high carb all that much. Enough to keep me fueled because I am in an active job (unfortunately curtailed due to the virus) and do strength training. Generally have between 70g and 120g of carbs each day.

Thanks for your reply

Reactions: Schmoukes

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't even consider my diet to be high carb all that much. Enough to keep me fueled because I am in an active job (unfortunately curtailed due to the virus) and do strength training. Generally have between 70g and 120g of carbs each day.

Thanks for your reply

I don't think it is really about the number of grams of carbs someone is eating a day, rather it is about whether that number is simply too much for the individual.

I feel best on 0-20g carbs a day
Can cope with up to about 60g carbs as a one-off special day, such as a birthday or Xmas.
But if I do 60+ for more than one day at a time, I start to feel rougher and rougher.

Plus, because of the gluten intolerance, if I add gluten in, even on a day of 20g carbs, then things go wangy (technical term ;) ) very fast.

OF course activity levels and stress levels, and type of food (fast or slow digesting carbs, amount of fibre, and amount of fat) affects things too.

It is a bit like balancing on a wobble board, but it is surprising how quickly we learn to balance, especially when armed with a blood glucose meter, and a good understanding of what RH is, and how it affects us. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Thanks for your reply

To give you an idea of what will trigger the reaction of too much insulin to send me hypo, if I don't add good fats or enough protein with either potatoes or bread, (I don't eat either!) it is about 5% carbs total in any one meal, but with fats, I wouldn't go over 10%, but the portion size is important, and I would only have between 20g and 50g carbs daily at the most.
You do have to find out the right balance of protein, fats and the small amount of carbs you can tolerate.

Best wishes

Drumbum

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oats or as we say porridge was how I got my referral and two hypos in front of my endocrinologist. No milk or sugar either, just boiled water and oats!
This was because all my dietary advice previous was to eat this supper food!
It wasn't super or healthy for me!
I always go hypo with oats, grains, whole wheat flour, starchy vegetables and anything else that contains a few carbs, I'm intolerant to dairy, just to make it a bit more complicated!
It does all depend on how much carbs you can tolerate!

When first diagnosed the usual dietary advice is to eat every two to three hours because that will negate the hypo by boosting your blood glucose levels. This won't stop the symptoms or the hypos if you miss eating and will still create too much insulin which causes the hypos.
If you are diagnosed with Hypoglycaemia, I would certainly consider a lower carb diet to help with control. Having normal blood glucose levels is always the best treatment, stopping the trigger is always the best treatment.

Best wishes

******, what can ya eat?!

Haven't had any feeling of hypo the past couple of days. Making that oat breakfast tomorrow again just to see if it has an affect.

Was expecting to hear back with the results today but nothing. I guess that's got to do with the virus and resources being stretched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
******, what can ya eat?!

Haven't had any feeling of hypo the past couple of days. Making that oat breakfast tomorrow again just to see if it has an affect.

Was expecting to hear back with the results today but nothing. I guess that's got to do with the virus and resources being stretched.

An example of today's food intake.
Fasted till 2pm.
Sausage, fried egg and tomatoes for first meal.
Just had chicken curry with salad for evening meal.
Maybe some full fat yoghurt for supper.

There is plenty of protein, vegetables you can eat depending on where you are.
The low carb forum has plenty of ideas and recipes.

When in work, the chef cooks for me, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms.
Or an omelette!
If there is something you particularly enjoy, there is a low carb alternative.

Keep safe

Best wishes

Drumbum

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have scrambled egg and veg almost everyday with avocado. It's the best!

Reactions: Lamont D