Help

lee16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First hope everyone is staying safe, right was diagnosed in June 2017, got off meds in Feb 2019, been off since managed to stay within the pre diabetes number, but numbers are gradually going up again, how do I stop this when we r in lock down and can only do an hours exercise a day, HELP!!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you relying on exercise to reduce your levels or do you eat a low carb diet?

lee16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you relying on exercise to reduce your levels or do you eat a low carb diet?
I was working in greggs before we closed so working 6 hour shifts and didn't really eat that much, but I do eat wholegrain pasta, pumpkin seeded brown bread, and sweet potato, it's just sitting about stressing plus bp is up am just needing some reassuring that it will come down again!!

mouseee

Those things you've listed are carby! I'd spike with any one of those. Much as I miss a lovely slice of bread. If you want your blood glucose down, the obvious thing is to ditch them. Ditch all the carbs!! I know that the carbs sneak in with or without you noticing them! At least you know you can get them down again.

It will have a very quick impact on your blood sugar and you'll find it should go down.

It's not easy, but its worth it.

Join in with PE with Joe Wicks on YouTube... I'm told it's a good workout... prefer a bit of online yoga myself!

lee16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those things you've listed are carby! I'd spike with any one of those. Much as I miss a lovely slice of bread. If you want your blood glucose down, the obvious thing is to ditch them. Ditch all the carbs!!

Wholegrain pasta and the seeded bread doesn't spike my bloods at all, I think it's the stress of all of what's happening was meant to have my hba1c test soon, but there not doing it so trying to keep it down in general

It will have a very quick impact on your blood sugar and you'll find it should go down.

It's not easy, but its worth it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was working in greggs before we closed so working 6 hour shifts and didn't really eat that much, but I do eat wholegrain pasta, pumpkin seeded brown bread, and sweet potato, it's just sitting about stressing plus bp is up am just needing some reassuring that it will come down again!!
The bad news: All that stuff is carby and will spike blood sugars. Good news being, you can gain a lot of ground by cutting out the carbs. As in, in all likelihood you can get back to non-diabetic numbers, rather than prediabetic. Have a read, it might be a bit of an eye-opener: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

lee16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bad news: All that stuff is carby and will spike blood sugars. Good news being, you can gain a lot of ground by cutting out the carbs. As in, in all likelihood you can get back to non-diabetic numbers, rather than prediabetic. Have a read, it might be a bit of an eye-opener: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
It's organic wholegrain pasta and seeded bread that's very very low in carb and sugar, I've been eating then si ce diagnosed and have come along way, but with everything going on at the moment am struggling and more comfort eating again and it's trying to get out of that,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The sweet potatoes are higher in carb than the ordinary - pasta is going to be over 60 percent carbs, so quite a hit - and unless the bread is specifically made low carb, like the livlife or the protein bread at 4 gm per slice, I doubt it is very very low, really - have you really checked on the amount of carbs? I don't want to be harsh - but I am rather concerned. There are very few type twos who can eat such high carb foods and stay in normal range.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
try down loading something like the carb manager app and log in what you eat it will tell you how many carbs are in the food you are eating.

Things like pasta rice bread potatato sweet potato are all high carb foods there is no getting round that.

Lilylala

Skip a few meals , or Omad for a few days a week will bring you back into line and as mentioned a bit of online joe wicks will help.try not to spoil all your hard work by eating the wrong thing that made your numbers high.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You can't run from a bad diet I have found that to be so true.

mouseee

It's organic wholegrain pasta and seeded bread that's very very low in carb and sugar, I've been eating then si ce diagnosed and have come along way, but with everything going on at the moment am struggling and more comfort eating again and it's trying to get out of that,
I would love to know the brands as I miss both of these. But I really would double check them.

A slice of ordinary bread can have around 30g carbs. However much sugar is listed in the nutritional info it's the total carbs that's the problem.

If you had a poor diet previously then the changes you made will have made a huge difference then but perhaps now you need to drop the carbs a little lower again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what do you consider low carb? I eat well under 20 grams per day... Wholegrain pasta is about 40 grams per 100 grams, depending on the brand. That's more than I eat in two days. Could be others are perfectly fine with that though, but have you ever had 100 grams of pasta? That's next to nothing. Anyway, thing is, if you keep eating carbs in certain amounts, your body keeps having to deal with them: Diabetes T2 is a progressive condition unless you give your pancreas more breathing room... It may have been fine a year ago to eat grains in some form or another, but odds are your insulin insensitivity has gotten worse over time, as your body kept having to deal with glucose... So... Do yourself a favour and check with a meter what certain foods do to you. Your diet may have worked in the past, and it hasn't changed... But your body will have. Don't take it from a stranger on the internet, check with your meter. It won't try to sell you on some dogma or another. It'll just tell you whether you can still deal with that amount of carbs. (Test before a meal and 2 hours after it. If you go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, then it really isn't agreeing with you anymore).

Sorry. Wish I had better news.
Jo