JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
How to make yourself invisible to the virus.

carona virus man.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why? it's a barrier why can it only be worn once?
The main aim is to avoid spraying others..

The issue with rewearing is removing it can be tricky, bearing in mind both outer and inner surfaces can be potentially contaminated. Removing it and touching the contaminant, the touching anything else, including bin lids or whatever, creates another potential transfer option.

Were I wearing a mask and gloves, I would do as I did in a clinical environment, back in the day, exercise a technique for relealis the mask, using one gloved hand, then removing said glove, pulling it over the mask, so that it is almost "bagged". Even structured masks can fit in a size 6 (very small) glove. Then the whole thing straight into clinical or contaminated waste, depending on the circumstances.

I didn't realise those early days of dealing with HIV patients, with gowns, masks, double gloving and deep clean downs would come in handy so long later.

Please do NOT consider I am comparing this to HIV or any other condition. I am not.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why? it's a barrier why can it only be worn once?
The main aim is to avoid spraying others..

The reason given was that if there are droplets on the outside from someone else that will transfer to you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason given was that if there are droplets on the outside from someone else that will transfer to you.

If you are keeping 2m away from people it's highly unlikely to have droplets on it though?

And if they were also wearing one then no means of transmission.. ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The issue with rewearing is removing it can be tricky, bearing in mind both outer and inner surfaces can be potentially contaminated. Removing it and touching the contaminant, the touching anything else, including bin lids or whatever, creates another potential transfer option.

Were I wearing a mask and gloves, I would do as I did in a clinical environment, back in the day, exercise a technique for relealis the mask, using one gloved hand, then removing said glove, pulling it over the mask, so that it is almost "bagged". Even structured masks can fit in a size 6 (very small) glove. Then the whole thing straight into clinical or contaminated waste, depending on the circumstances.

I didn't realise those early days of dealing with HIV patients, with gowns, masks, double gloving and deep clean downs would come in handy so long later.

Please do NOT consider I am comparing this to HIV or any other condition. I am not.
this is my concern with re-usable cloth masks - the removal, and disposal until washed. Maybe people could consider nappy buckets and a weak bleach solution until the masks can be hot washed? I am not sure how the elastic can stand up to that though.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are keeping 2m away from people it's highly unlikely to have droplets on it though?

And if they were also wearing one then no means of transmission.. ?

However if someone sneezes droplets go for over 20ft. I haven’t seen anyone wear a mask so there is a chance of droplets being in your mask, clothes etc. The virus stays in the air for a while too.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the outside of your mask is contaminated where would those droplets have landed if you were not wearing a mask? Directly on your mouth and nose. Surely much more of a risk?

How hard is it to take a cloth mask off by the straps and drop it directly into soapy water? Or a plastic bag if out and about. And then wash your hands as you should be doing anyway.

And it’s even more about reducing your spread of the disease whilst asymptomatic than protecting yourself anyway in which case it’s your own germs you risk touching on removal more than someone else’s.

What about the rest of our clothing /hair etc that may be contaminated? Should we be stripping and washing them as we step inside the house? Possibly yes.

Reactions: Flora123

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Donald Trump says you could use a scarf and he should know.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If it is windy, it depends if your up or down wind.
Even when air still a sneeze or cough can propel aerosols further. 2 metres is not a safety barrier, but dont go out may be.
Unless it comes in on ones food.
D.
What made me unsure was reading this.

"
The two-metre social distancing rule being used to keep people apart may need to be four times bigger to prevent coronavirus from spreading, a new study suggests.
Currently, people are asked to keep a distance of two metres (6.8ft) when out in the community and many supermarkets have now stuck lines of tape to the floor to ensure adequate separation.
But a new analysis by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US has found that viral droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes can travel in a moist, warm atmosphere at speeds of 10-30 metres (33ft-100ft) per second, creating a cloud that can span approximately 7-8 metres (23ft-27ft).
The researchers also warn that droplets can stay suspended in the air for hours, moving along airflow patterns imposed by ventilation or climate-control systems."

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...t-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

I want to know why he wears his scarf on his head? :)

He's changed his mind and now says he aint going to wear one even though the American public are being advised to.:facepalm:

lindisfel

Expert
I heard someone yesterday say that masks, even in the medical context, could be washed carefully and still retain their effectiveness.

I think the experts will eventually come round to the conclusion that masks do add another barrier, but need to be removed carefully.
D.

Max68

Friend of mine works in a hospital and was diagnosed with Covid yesterday. Wore a mask but in his line of work anyway he thinks because his eyes weren't protected that was a possible route of transmission due to the membrane of the eyes also being an access point to the virus. Personally I don't believe in the two metre rule anyway as the thing can apparently stay in the air. So you walk behind someone they cough/sneeze/breathe then you walk through their air space seconds later!!

The only possible way I can see masks being a benefit is for them to possibly stop droplets leaving an infected person, rather than protecting an uninfected person because untrained persons would be unsure on how to fit, remove, wash a mask correctly. Plus if everyone wears a mask then would there be shortages for essential workers>?

Just my opinion. Difficult one.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's changed his mind and now says he aint going to wear one even though the American public are being advised to.
He said he couldn't meet world leaders in the Oval Office while wearing a mask, forgetting that world leaders are not travelling anyway!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only possible way I can see masks being a benefit is for them to possibly stop droplets leaving an infected person, rather than protecting an uninfected person because untrained persons would be unsure on how to fit, remove, wash a mask correctly. Plus if everyone wears a mask then would there be shortages for essential workers>?
This is exactly why they are useful and why homemade masks still offer protection - to people around the wearer who may be a or pre symptomatic but still able to spread it. No shortages using home made ones either.

Reactions: hyponilla