Type 2 Osteoporosis, alendronic acid and blood sugar levels

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Help,
I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis and started on alendronic acid a couple of weeks ago. Have unfortunately got a bad sinus infection and started taking penicillin yesterday. I don’t test my blood sugar all that often these days but for some reason I did mine before lunch today and it was 8.7 which is terribly high for me although I suppose we had breakfast at about 10.00 and lunch was 1.00, I had rice crispies which is not my usual but I’m trying to drink milk for the extra calcium.
My BS doesn’t normally reach 8.0 after a meal so this feels really high.

I’m wondering if anyone else has osteoporosis and takes bisphosphonates and if so did it raise your blood sugar?

I’ve looked up penicillin and it seems to be able to cause an increase - I’m only going to be taking that for a week though but the alendronic is for five years.

I developed steroid induced T2 after being given steroids for 3 months for inflammatory arthritis, I was able to eat my way out of that but the steroids weren’t long term and this alendronic acid is for five years!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't advise on the alendronic acid, but and infection will usually raise your BG's wait until after the sinus infection is cleared before you start to worry and the other. I'd also look into alternative calcium sources if you milk increase is leading to bad carb habits, off the top of my head spinach is high as are some tinned fish if you eat the bones (salmon, sardines etc)

Reactions: Lizzie2

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take alendronic acid once a week, I don't notice much effect, if any, on my bgl.

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can't advise on the alendronic acid, but and infection will usually raise your BG's wait until after the sinus infection is cleared before you start to worry and the other. I'd also look into alternative calcium sources if you milk increase is leading to bad carb habits, off the top of my head spinach is high as are some tinned fish if you eat the bones (salmon, sardines etc)

Thank you, I was thinking more of the rice Crispies - all that sort of stuff was what used spike my blood sugar. You’re right, spinach, kale, tinned salmon etc are all good for calcium.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it would be a perfectly normal reading for a type two after eating rice crispies.
If you want calcium in your diet then traditionally made oxtail - where the tail is soaked in a vinegar marinade overnight, should supply all you need.

Reactions: Lizzie2

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take alendronic acid once a week, I don't notice much effect, if any, on my bgl.

Sounds like it’s most likely the penicillin and maybe just having the sinus sinus infection that did it.
OT - do you get bone pain? The wrist that I broke plus that arm and shoulder are incredibly painful at night. The pain is weird, like icy cold. I knew you could get bone / muscle pain but this isn’t how I expected it to be and why only really in the damaged arm? Very strange.
Think I wore my sling for too long - everyone said to keep my arm up and no one said not to wear a sling, plus my plaster(s) was too tight - first thing the doctor said after the final plaster came off. I’d been saying for weeks that the inspire of my wrist and ulnar bone felt as if they were burning. Now I think the nerves in that hand have been damaged, it feels like someone else’s hand has been grafted onto my wrist, fingers are swollen like sausages and won’t straighten up plus nothing I touch feels right. So annoying. Anyway good news that the alendronic doesn’t affect your BS.

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think it would be a perfectly normal reading for a type two after eating rice crispies.
If you want calcium in your diet then traditionally made oxtail - where the tail is soaked in a vinegar marinade overnight, should supply all you need.

Thank you, I’m blaming the rice crispies too. The oxtail sounds interesting!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The drugs I take put me at risk of osteoporosis. They are a preventative measure.

An infection will definitely raise sugars. And the rice krispies and milk. :)

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds like it’s most likely the penicillin and maybe just having the sinus sinus infection that did it.
OT - do you get bone pain? The wrist that I broke plus that arm and shoulder are incredibly painful at night. The pain is weird, like icy cold. I knew you could get bone / muscle pain but this isn’t how I expected it to be and why only really in the damaged arm? Very strange.
Think I wore my sling for too long - everyone said to keep my arm up and no one said not to wear a sling, plus my plaster(s) was too tight - first thing the doctor said after the final plaster came off. I’d been saying for weeks that the inspire of my wrist and ulnar bone felt as if they were burning. Now I think the nerves in that hand have been damaged, it feels like someone else’s hand has been grafted onto my wrist, fingers are swollen like sausages and won’t straighten up plus nothing I touch feels right. So annoying. Anyway good news that the alendronic doesn’t affect your BS.

Thank you

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been taking alendronic acid for quite a while now it does not seem to effect my blood sugars to any noticeable extent.

But please ensure you follow the instructions to the letter in order to minimize the chance of any side effects.

D

Deleted member 308541

I used to take Actonel once a month tablets, but stopped taking them, and now on six monthly Prolia injection.

No difference in my bgl readings as I can remember.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate Wednesdays. Wednesday is alendronic acid day. This morning it was 5.30am. :{

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I hate Wednesdays. Wednesday is alendronic acid day. This morning it was 5.30am. :{
Same here but today it was 6 AM.

My sister in law was prescribed them then they realised as she already had had esophageal cancer it may be best to take her off them.

D

Deleted member 308541

I took mine on a Sunday when I was on weekly ones, and whaatever the day the monthly one was due.

Pain in the butt having to wait thirty mins before I could get into my first cup of coffee in the morning.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I had taken Alendronate years back, sent my levels through the roof. I stopped taking it after 4 doses of once a week alendronate. I started to supplement with magnesium, zinc, vitD and K2 and BMD scans are showing a reversal of osteo. My diet is keto, also eat collagen everyday. I do lift weights. And I do ave my mineral levels, vitamins checked on to make sure I'm at optimal levels.

Below is pretty good info vid from Dr.Ken Berry if you are interested in watching.