What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@annabell1 - I too went off to bed on Monday night with an aching jaw. Mine was gum related though. It's at the site of an extraction I had months ago. I spoke to my dentist and we really don't know why this area is prone to flare up. I'd already started the treatment - increased brushing with Corsodyl and Corsodyl mouthwash. That was the down yesterday. On a positive note, I entered a competition a while back during the Spam appreciation Week for fun. You had to submit a recipe using Spam which I did. I didn't win 1st prize (which was £1,000 of shopping vouchers) but I was one of 10 runners up in the European section and will receive a Limited edition sizzle pack plus Spam products when this is over. It certainly brightened my day and left me with Monty python and Spam, spam, spam, spam going through my head!

Hug for the sore jaw. You don't need that after all the health issues of the last few days

Haven't had Spam for years. We used to have something quite similar, just after WW2, called "luncheon meat" which tasted like salty blotting paper - very popular in our school canteen. I think Spam was rather better quality but I'm not sure if I've ever bought it myself.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few years on life's clock, but not quite that many. I'm hoping I get there though. :)

My parents always used to say that as they applied an Elastoplast with enough pressure to do more damage than the original injury.

I'll never forget my father taking an age to trim a plaster into a bow shape to cover a cut on my forehead (still have the scar), and me refusing to have it changed as the trauma of the first application mentally scarred me for life!

I loved my Dad with every fibre of my being, but you can probably tell, I bore a grudge over that act of kindness.

I loved my parents to bits, but they were very much of the "stiff upper lip "brigade. I was just talking to my brother on the phone a few days ago and we were reminiscing about how we were taught to be stoic - never cry when hurt, head up and walk (not run) to home to see how serious the injury might be. A quick wash of the wound and (maybe) some Dettol, if required and back out you go. (Show 'em you're made of sterner stuff). It did teach us to cope with difficult times, at least. Oddly enough, though courageous in all other things, the sight of his own blood would make my Dad panic.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@maglil55 and @DJC3 - I'm going to be singing the Monty Python spam song all day too. :). (Probably followed by the lumberjack song and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life). Did anyone else see the news report of a Thames Police's cruiser going along the Thames blasting out Always Look on the Bright Side? It really made me laugh.

Unbelievably I have had Jehovah's Witnesses door knocking this morning!!! Three of them all stood in a tight group. They obviously think CV-19 won't find them.

All my little plants arrived today. 144 of them! I think I've probably bought too many but I'm not expecting them all to survive my TLC. Just got to find compost now, which might be a bit more difficult.

My wounded soldier toe has lost its plaster but the other foot still hurts. In normal times I would have taken it to A&E for an X-ray but according to the BBC news app there are 45 people in Doncaster with CV-19 and there's only the one hospital so I'm not taking the risk. I keep dreaming about the fall.

Food....

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup

Lunch: Burgen toast with smashed avocado, chilli sauce and a squeeze of lime with a chopped tomato on top

Dinner: brown block from the freezer - which I'm hoping is a spicy aubergine and green lentil sort of casserole / curry / soup thing I made a couple of months ago

Ed: spelling

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hug for the sore jaw. You don't need that after all the health issues of the last few days

Haven't had Spam for years. We used to have something quite similar, just after WW2, called "luncheon meat" which tasted like salty blotting paper - very popular in our school canteen. I think Spam was rather better quality but I'm not sure if I've ever bought it myself.

Mr C absolutely loves luncheon meat- even the smell of it turns my stomach.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mr C absolutely loves luncheon meat- even the smell of it turns my stomach.

Even the thought. However, maybe luncheon meat has changed over the last 70 years, so might not be as bad as it used to be.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Even the thought. However, maybe luncheon meat has changed over the last 70 years, so might not be as bad as it used to be.

I think he likes it because it reminds him of his childhood so it probably hasn't changed too much. He likes it on white bread with a sweet pickle.

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 and @DJC3 - I'm going to be singing the Monty Python spam song all day too. :). (Probably followed by the lumberjack song and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life). Did anyone else see the news report of a Thames Police's cruiser going along the Thames blasting out Always Look on the Bright Side? It really made me laugh.

Unbelievably I have had Jehovah's Witnesses door knocking this morning!!! Three of them all stood in a tight group. They obviously think CV-19 won't find them.

All my little plants arrived today. 144 of them! I think I've probably bought too many but I'm not expecting them all to survive my TLC. Just got to find compost now, which might be a bit more difficult.

My wounded soldier toe has lost its plaster but the other foot still hurts. In normal times I would have taken it to A&E for an X-ray but according to the BBC news app there are 45 people in Doncaster with CV-19 and there's only the one hospital so I'm not taking the risk. I keep dreaming about the fall.

Food....

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup

Lunch: Burgen toast with smashed avocado, chilli sauce and a squeeze of lime with a chopped tomato on top

Dinner: brown block from the freezer - which I'm hop is a spicy aubergine and green lentil sort of casserole / curry / soup thing I made a couple of months ago
I’ll be singing Always look on the Bright side now too - a good song to keep the spirits up!
Good luck with all those plants, My back is aching at the thought of planting them all out. I think you’re probably wise not to go to A/E you might be worse off after the visit.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Neil just received his letter from the Scottish Government to tell him that he is one of the people considered to be at high risk during this covid19 outbreak. (Presumably his sarcoidosis.) It gives him advice on how to proceed and a list of the kind of conditions considered to be at risk. Diabetes is not one of them! And neither I nor DIL had such a letter. So - are we not at risk, after all? He actually went shopping this morning, before the post came, and came back with very few of the items on the list. He did manage to get half a dozen eggs - that was all the Co-op would allow him to buy. Tesco was shut - apparently due to a medical emergency of some sort in the shop. So loads of people were standing outside in a queue a long way up the road, waiting to get access. He didn't wait around.

On a brighter side - he did find a garage open to buy a new battery for the Scenic and he did make an arrangement with our local pharmacy to deliver regular supplies of the over-the-counter medicine he uses to control his Crohn's disease.

Breakfast - quite late, so probably brunch - was black pudding, streaky bacon, a tomato - all done in the oven and fried eggs on top.

Some time later, I will have AF chicken thighs - Neil did manage to get a box of 2 thighs today. He also found another, last on the shelf, battered box of tea bags for me.
Hug for Neil and just how tardy are the Scottish Government - mine came over a week ago. Also hug for eggs, local guy delivered a tray of 30 to us yesterday. Neil needs to shield as the letter says. Take care.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be singing Always look on the Bright side now too - a good song to keep the spirits up!
Good luck with all those plants, My back is aching at the thought of planting them all out. I think you’re probably wise not to go to A/E you might be worse off after the visit.
Sister in law chose that song to be played as her coffin left the Church - not likely to hear it much if at all in our house but huge respect to her for that and the other plans she made.

Reactions: DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Today I got up early intending to go to the early shopping for pensioners and disabled people between 7 to 8am but was tired and also had to go to the chemist which opens at 8.30 and no idea if my medication was in so decided to wait and ring the chemist first. They had my meds so went and picked up my prescription and decided to quickly pop into Coles intending to buy only a few things got iceberg lettuce at a good price but still brought more things than intended even toilet paper. Oh and minced lamb which is hard to find normally even when no pandemic But What I found strange is when I used to shop I used to take my time checking prices but now with fear of covid-19 I'm in and out quickly forgetting to buy things and not to worried about prices and buying breads more also but I think it is stress buying the carbs.

Breakfast I made Lebanese parsley omelet called ... Eljeh which is a Lebanese fresh herb omelet basically 2 eggs combined with chopped parsley and mint salt pepper and teaspoon flour combined then cooked in olive oil served with bacon, tomato and feta cheese. And a black coffee. Which I enjoyed.

Lunch I had a Sandwich I had leftover salmon that I cooked for dinner on Friday night on sourdough bread buttered and added mayonaise some lime juice and cabbage And a black coffee.

Dinner not that hungry but pickish I brought some hot cross buns from my shop this morning so had a buttered hot cross bun and some grapes. But since eating more bread etc i notice I'm get an itchy throat more often and joint pain mmmmm

@maglil55 nothing worse than gum pain mine I've got a metal band holding up my teeth until I go and get a crown and the gum gets sore every now and again I'm surposed to get a crown but put it on hold for now due to covid-19 hopefully can get it done in a few months time. But congratulations on winning you spam competition I'm not a spam fan and never eaten it. I do know one of my sister makes a dish combined with tomatoes onions spices and eggs that she cooks with spam.

@Chook interesting you got the jehovah witnesses at your house I was only saying how since this pandemic I've not received any spam telephone calls.

20200401_083555.jpg
20200401_090510.jpg
20200401_140302.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hug for Neil and just how tardy are the Scottish Government - mine came over a week ago. Also hug for eggs, local guy delivered a tray of 30 to us yesterday. Neil needs to shield as the letter says. Take care.

Has anyone received a notice from government to say that diabetics are at risk? I'm beginning to wonder if it is all a scare - not the virus, I certainly believe that- but the diabetic issue. Not that it makes any difference - without Neil I can't go out anyway - I need him to push my wheelchair.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Neil just received his letter from the Scottish Government to tell him that he is one of the people considered to be at high risk during this covid19 outbreak. (Presumably his sarcoidosis.) It gives him advice on how to proceed and a list of the kind of conditions considered to be at risk. Diabetes is not one of them! And neither I nor DIL had such a letter. So - are we not at risk, after all? He actually went shopping this morning, before the post came, and came back with very few of the items on the list. He did manage to get half a dozen eggs - that was all the Co-op would allow him to buy. Tesco was shut - apparently due to a medical emergency of some sort in the shop. So loads of people were standing outside in a queue a long way up the road, waiting to get access. He didn't wait around.

On a brighter side - he did find a garage open to buy a new battery for the Scenic and he did make an arrangement with our local pharmacy to deliver regular supplies of the over-the-counter medicine he uses to control his Crohn's disease.

Breakfast - quite late, so probably brunch - was black pudding, streaky bacon, a tomato - all done in the oven and fried eggs on top.

Some time later, I will have AF chicken thighs - Neil did manage to get a box of 2 thighs today. He also found another, last on the shelf, battered box of tea bags for me.

I'm sorry @Annb I missed this post of yours. Big hugs for Neil. Getting that kind of letter always causes distress whether the sender means it to or not. Is there anyone else who can help you with your shopping?

As for eggs, I got 4 dozen from someone who keeps chickens (actually he bought all my chooks from me when I couldn't keep them any more although I doubt any of these eggs are from those ladies though). Is there anyone near you who keeps hens?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone received a notice from government to say that diabetics are at risk? I'm beginning to wonder if it is all a scare - not the virus, I certainly believe that- but the diabetic issue. Not that it makes any difference - without Neil I can't go out anyway - I need him to push my wheelchair.
Mine gave no reason - I assume it is related to last summer's cancer and follow up chemo - but diabetes per se not mentioned. Are there any other family members or friends who can shop for you? Did you post about contacting local council and considering your relationship with local religious organisations is there no help there?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry @Annb I missed this post of yours. Big hugs for Neil. Getting that kind of letter always causes distress whether the sender means it to or not. Is there anyone else who can help you with your shopping?

As for eggs, I got 4 dozen from someone who keeps chickens (actually he bought all my chooks from me when I couldn't keep them any more although I doubt any of these eggs are from those ladies though). Is there anyone near you who keeps hens?

No - oddly, in this crofting area, there is nobody near us who keeps hens any more, other than No 2 son and DIL. However, I think all of theirs are rather elderly ladies now and no longer laying, so they are part of Em's pet brigade now. All the crofters who used to keep hens have died off now - the younger ones don't bother - it's much easier to go to the shop (usually). I used to keep my own hens as well of course, and had a thriving, if small market for eggs, but the caring for them got to be too much - and doing the work with them made Neil's chest much worse. I also used to raise day-old chicks for locals who wanted to keep hens. Loved doing that but, again, it got to be too much. I usually buy 2 dozen eggs at a time - 6 eggs would only last me 2 or 3 meals - maybe over 2 days. Have to cut down drastically.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine gave no reason - I assume it is related to last summer's cancer and follow up chemo - but diabetes per se not mentioned. Are there any other family members or friends who can shop for you? Did you post about contacting local council and considering your relationship with local religious organisations is there no help there?

Ours is only a small religious group, Ian, and not really approved of by the mainstream churches here. (Would they prefer it if we just all died a natural death? It has been said, and, occasionally I have heard the opinion expressed that it was quite justified, when members have been persecuted and killed, in other countries - the Christianity here is very unforgiving.) All of our young people have left the Island for jobs on the mainland or overseas, leaving us old codgers to keep going. I have one offer of help from one of our group (youngest maybe) who is 64 and I may take her up on that, but I know she is currently helping our very elderly friend who is almost blind and very weak after months of medical treatment and so she is pretty busy. We have others who are more at risk than myself, so I should really be helping them. Best I can do is keep in touch though.

I did contact the local council and they just recommended that Neil should go shopping as infrequently as possible. Not much help there. There seems to be no organised volunteer force, just individual shops who might deliver.

No 2 son goes shopping every so often and offers to get things, but usually Neil has done it. May take him up on the offer next time.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ours is only a small religious group, Ian, and not really approved of by the mainstream churches here. (Would they prefer it if we just all died a natural death? It has been said, and, occasionally I have heard the opinion expressed that it was quite justified, when members have been persecuted and killed, in other countries - the Christianity here is very unforgiving.) All of our young people have left the Island for jobs on the mainland or overseas, leaving us old codgers to keep going. I have one offer of help from one of our group (youngest maybe) who is 64 and I may take her up on that, but I know she is currently helping our very elderly friend who is almost blind and very weak after months of medical treatment and so she is pretty busy. We have others who are more at risk than myself, so I should really be helping them. Best I can do is keep in touch though.

I did contact the local council and they just recommended that Neil should go shopping as infrequently as possible. Not much help there. There seems to be no organised volunteer force, just individual shops who might deliver.

No 2 son goes shopping every so often and offers to get things, but usually Neil has done it. May take him up on the offer next time.
I've tracked down the Scottish shielding info and no, it doesn't mention diabetes. There again it doesn't cover disablement either so I'm not sure the list is a complete list. Their list is mainly cancer related. Here's the link Ann but it doesn't really help as it tells you to get in touch with the local authority helpline and they can arrange deliveries for you! Considering you've already been in touch and they told you to send Neil yet the advice says he shouldn't go out.....it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot. The only change I can see is that all the local authorities have contact details now. We're in a better situation due to the local community groups doing their own thing but that's not much consolation to you. I'll go on hunting but they certainly don't make it easy to get to the right information.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...id-19/coronavirus-covid-19-shielding#overview

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tracked down the Scottish shielding info and no, it doesn't mention diabetes. There again it doesn't cover disablement either so I'm not sure the list is a complete list. Their list is mainly cancer related. Here's the link Ann but it doesn't really help as it tells you to get in touch with the local authority helpline and they can arrange deliveries for you! Considering you've already been in touch and they told you to send Neil yet the advice says he shouldn't go out.....it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot. The only change I can see is that all the local authorities have contact details now. We're in a better situation due to the local community groups doing their own thing but that's not much consolation to you. I'll go on hunting but they certainly don't make it easy to get to the right information.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesse...id-19/coronavirus-covid-19-shielding#overview

Thanks for all the efforts you are putting in to get information @maglil55. You're a star. I've been checking through a few sites and forum posts myself and it does appear that diabetes is no longer on the list of extremely vulnerable people. Which, of course, doesn't mean that we can just go out and about. But I might be able to go to the butcher at the edge of the town for myself - if they are open - they have a car park and I can walk into the shop using my sticks. I should also be able to get into the local shop/PO - they have steps and are on a steep slope, but I should manage that. Once the new battery is charged, I will be able to drive the Scenic. So, it's all looking up a bit.

Take care, and don't overdo it - you're not long over your own viral infection and must still be feeling it. I know I am.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sister in law chose that song to be played as her coffin left the Church - not likely to hear it much if at all in our house but huge respect to her for that and the other plans she made.
2018 when I had all these family deaths - cousin's funeral - she was involved with amateur operatic group and she picked all her songs for her funeral. I have never forgotten her entry song for the undertakers and her coffin - Oklahoma. The sight of them trying to keep pace with the music will remain with me forever.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry @Annb I missed this post of yours. Big hugs for Neil. Getting that kind of letter always causes distress whether the sender means it to or not.

The letter didn't seem to upset Neil at all. It was just an item of curiosity as far as he was concerned. He simply goes his own way in the world and doesn't really worry about what others think. He doesn't actually worry about anything. He makes his decisions based on the facts as he knows them (he's very good at fact-finding) and just goes on in his own sweet way. That's one advantage of Aspergers'.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That letter is really going to impact you and Neil @Annb
I really hope he hasn't been exposed to the virus already during his trips out and about, since it has obviously arrived on the island!
If I were you I would be contacting other son and requesting him to help out a bit more - especially if he has already offered :)

Food today:

no B
L: home made prawn cocktail. Deep trauma. The prawns were utterly tasteless, sending me into a small spin of 'is this that mythic 1st sign of COVID-19 whereby your sense of smell disappears?' haha! Highly unlikely since I managed to taste the mayo with no problem. :hilarious:
D: will be leftover chicken stirfry with chilli and lime (and mango chutney)

Bin collection day too.
Which led to a few lively words between Mr B and I.

We got a directive through from the local council, asking everyone to disinfect the handles of their wheelie bins both before and after the bin men went round. It went something like this:

Here at your caring council, we are trying to protect our binmen as best as we possibly can during this pandemic. They will, of course, all be wearing gloves to grab your bins, but please bear in mind that those gloves will be touching approx 600 bins per shift, and if one of those bins has been put out by someone with COVID-19, then those gloves have also touched 599 other bins, including yours... so please, protect yourself, the binmen and all the other 599 ppl, and use disinfectant on your bin handles BEFORE and AFTER we collect your rubbish.

The lively conversation I had with Mr B was because his only priority seemed to be to wash his hands AFTER, when in fact he could be carrying it and asymptomatically spreading it if he didn't disinfect BEFORE as well.
All sorted now.
The garden gate is another matter though... lol

Last edited: