Type 1'stars R Us

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, yesterday disappeared in a flash somehow until I really screwed up last night. Took 10u of what should've been Lantus, but was fiddling with both pens at the time (stoopid!) and suddenly realised I didn't know which I'd injected. I practically never have that much Humalog, so if that's what I'd taken I was in trouble . So had to choose between waiting and fixing a potential hypo, or eating and fixing a potential high. I waited, and if I'm ever dim enough to not know again what I've injected (first time in 34 years to be fair) I'm not going to wait. Managed to fix it myself but there was a point where I thought I might have to ask for help. Drop was massive, very fast, and took forever to respond. I think because it was so low and prolonged I had a massive liver dump because I woke at 4.15 this morning at 18+. A cautious correction (couldn't face another hypo!) saw me get up on a 13, hope I've fixed that with a breakfast adjustment. Thought for the day: do not have both pens out together when injecting. Think I'll write that out 100 times......

Have a good day all, like the bunnies @karen8967 :)
thanks hh1 hug for the pen mix up ,i done this myself a couple of weeks ago horrendous it was although my pens are different colours i know keep them in different rooms xx

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all, a waking 4.1 for me, @hh1 glad you're ok as things like that can be very scary and frustrating at the same time.

I've software issues this morning, again I forgot the Libre had expired when the reading didn't change and when I'd warmed the new sensor up it was late and xDrip wouldn't run with 'weboop' enabled so I imagine I'll be reinstalling it later, and last night I did a Kev classic when going for a bike ride half hour short of dusk as I'd put a rear light on the front and back but didn't notice till lighting up time.

It's confusing riding forwards when your back light's flashing in front of you :p

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I must be a slob, - I went straight to "day 8" , Morning folks!

upload_2020-4-1_9-7-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-1_9-5-40.png
    upload_2020-4-1_9-5-40.png
    903.8 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@hh1 - scary! Glad you’re ok though - always a bit of a sobering experience, I did it myself once. From a paramedic perspective, my colleagues in green always like a nice type one job, because you can fix a hypo like magic with IV glucose :)

Not much to report here, my rotary washing line snapped, so I’ve bodged it with some scrap metal and cable ties for now until we can replace it. Sugars cruising in the 7s overnight so have increased my basal by 20% to fix that.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow T1’ers. I’ve not been frequenting these parts recently.
Workplace has now shut down for a “ while.” How long a while is we’ve no idea.
Nice to see some new faces and it’s great to see the regulars still going strong.
Stay strong stay safe.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carb free meal last night, still had to whack in some go-go juice and some more early morning as was steadily climbing through the night until I needed a pee!

@LooperCat, I've never required the assistance of a paramedic for diabetic reasons - just wondered what the procedure is if paramedics are called to an unresponsive person (but alive!)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow T1’ers. I’ve not been frequenting these parts recently.
Workplace has now shut down for a “ while.” How long a while is we’ve no idea.
Nice to see some new faces and it’s great to see the regulars still going strong.
Stay strong stay safe.
Nice to see you back

Reactions: kev-w

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@LooperCat, I've never required the assistance of a paramedic for diabetic reasons - just wondered what the procedure is if paramedics are called to an unresponsive person (but alive!)

We follow the same procedure for any patient - DR ABCDE

D - check scene for danger as we approach, to ourselves, patient, anyone around. Any catastrophic haemorrhage? Deal with that first. Mechanism of injury?

R - response, using AVPU scale. Are they Alert, responding to Voice, Pain or Unresponsive? Check neck for any injury.

A - airway - is it clear? Anything blocking mouth or nose? Teeeth, tongue, vomit (suction this) etc... head tilt/chin lift to open airway. Consider using an airway adjunct to keep it open. Check carotid pulse - if absent, commence life support - (CPR, attach pads for defibrillation and analyse electrical output of heart. Shock if in a shockable rhythm, recommence chest compressions, reasses every two minutes. Insert an airway and give high flow oxygen, one ventilation every 5-6 seconds. . Gain IV access (if the veins have collapsed consider intraosseus access - by drilling into a bone to get a cannula in) and give adrenaline and then consider amiodarone after the third shock.)

Breathing - rate per minute? If >30 or <10, assist ventilation using a bag valve mask and oxygen. Look at depth, evenness and if there is a bilateral rise and fall of the chest - consider pneumothorax. Listen to to lungs with a stethoscope.

C - circulation. Rate, rhythm, character of heartbeat - bounding, thready, regular? Take blood pressure and oxygen saturation. Assess colour of patient - are they a bit blue? Heart rate should be 60-100. Listen to the heart. 12-lead ECG and analysis of the electrical activity of the heart - we can see where a clot may be causing issues in the coronary arteries from this.

D - disability - this would be where we measure blood glucose. No point doing it until the ABCs are sorted. We would check responsiveness of pupils, Glasgow coma scale, that sort of thing. If hypoglycaemic, we’d decide whether to try glucagon or just go straight for IV glucose. That’s delivered as a 10% solution in 100ml/10g boluses to a total of 300ml/30g glucose in total. Reasses BG after 10 minutes. Hopefully they’ll come around, if not...

E - expose and examine - if the patient is still unresponsive, we cut the clothes away (is as dignified a manner as possible, using blankets to cover them) and do a top to toe examination - looking for discolouration, deformation, crepitus, contusion, abrasions, avulsion, penetration, puncture (needle marks between toes for example - could be due to drugs so consider Narcan), bruising, burns, lacerations, tenderness, temperature, swelling and symmetry. We deal with injuries at this point.

Now that all looks very long and laborious but DR are done in a matter of seconds as you approach. You ask anyone present what’s happened, and crack on with securing the airway. We have this stuff so comprehensively hammered into us that you just work as a team, communicate (even if you’ve never worked with these people before) get the stuff done and hopefully get your patient in a better condition than when you found them. ABC is a finely honed and rehearsed procedure - so once the time critical things are sorted, we can start looking at the other reasons for unresponsiveness - drugs, hypo, injury etc. A lot of this problem solving depends on what history we can get - a good look around the room can tell us a lot. Diabetics often have a lot of paraphernalia around, especially T1s! We gather prescriptions/medications and look up potential side effects as well. Then we decide as a crew, and sometimes call control for advice from a grown up, where to take them - A&E, the cath lab for heart attacks, stroke unit etc. All the info we’ve gathered helps us to reach a working diagnosis and then choose the best pathway. Most hypo diabetics can be stabilised and left at home, we wait until they are steadily and reliably over 5mmol before doing that though.

Hope that answers your question? Mx

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greeting fellow pumpers and prickers, hope you are all doing well, keeping sane in these difficult times.

Well I have now joined @therower with work situation. Got an email to attend a conference call at 1pm along with about 12 other folks. We are now on furloughed leave until 31 May. The company will however pay the difference between my salary and the 80% the government pays.

I had been working from home and due to the ongoing issues I have never been busier. But we have been told no more working, dont log on to laptop or check phone. So 8 weeks of doing sod all. I will not have a clue what to do with myself. I have been working ever since I left school almost 43 years ago. The longest i have been off work was probably about 3 weeks.

Hopefully the travelling restrictions will be lifted slightly and I can drive out to my local nature reserve about 2 miles away. Try and improve my birdwatching and photography skills.

Stay safe everyone

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 . Welcome to the world of furlough.
Day one completed.
It wouldn’t be so bad if we could do something but that would go against the whole idea of furloughing.
It’s going to be an interesting and challenging time. I think I’m going to see it as a practice run for retirement.:)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, thankfully a very tame day yesterday after the drama of the previous evening - thanks for all your support, very much appreciated. Been behaving so well since that I woke up on a very happy 5.8. Had a lovely phone call from my diabetes nurse at my surgery as I'd emailed her to ask for more GlucoGel; she rang at 9 having already sorted that out and to check that I was okay. Our NHS, eh?

And on the topic of our NHS, @LooperCat respect as always, and I suspect that you wrote the rundown on approaching a situation pretty much without thinking. I'm hoping that Covid 19 changes our world for the better, and one of those ways would be paying everyone in the NHS what they're worth - if we can find money to keep people off work because of this, surely we can find enough money to reward NHS people properly for what they do all the time, and particularly what they're doing - and risking - now? Happy to pay my tax increase for it!

Hope you're all well and staying as positive as possible.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, thankfully a very tame day yesterday after the drama of the previous evening - thanks for all your support, very much appreciated. Been behaving so well since that I woke up on a very happy 5.8. Had a lovely phone call from my diabetes nurse at my surgery as I'd emailed her to ask for more GlucoGel; she rang at 9 having already sorted that out and to check that I was okay. Our NHS, eh?

And on the topic of our NHS, @LooperCat respect as always, and I suspect that you wrote the rundown on approaching a situation pretty much without thinking. I'm hoping that Covid 19 changes our world for the better, and one of those ways would be paying everyone in the NHS what they're worth - if we can find money to keep people off work because of this, surely we can find enough money to reward NHS people properly for what they do all the time, and particularly what they're doing - and risking - now? Happy to pay my tax increase for it!

Hope you're all well and staying as positive as possible.

Hi @hh1 good start to your morning, hope you are keeping well.

A couple of interesting points have come out of Covid 19. I dont want to turn this into a political argument, but we had 10+ years of austerity. Huge increase in use of food banks. We were told there was not money. Now down the back of the sofa, suddently Boris has found about £500 billion. On the flip side if we had not had austerity and stuck money down back of sofa where would we be now ?

Many of those going to work, suddenly appear to to vital workers, carers, delivery drivers, food processing staff,supermarket staff etc. The majority of these people will be on minimum wage

Whislt it would be good to give NHS staff and those above a wage increase, they thoroughly deserve it, the country is going to be skint for many years to come. With paying furlough leave staff wages, no tax coming in, from petrol sales, folks wages etc, personally I can see us paying a lot more in tax over next few years. Happy days

On a brighter note its sunny here, woke up to a 5.9, its day 1 of my 8 week furlough leave, and I have just ordered my prescription online.

have a great day folks and stay safe:):)

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a hypo in the night (baby stole my sugar), treated and bounced so woke up to a 8.8. Coming down now. Every time I think I’ve got the hang of this, it throws me another curve ball.

Never mind, it’s housework day today, time to break out the feather duster!

npatel19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning guys, hope everyone is well. I woke up with a sugar of 3.6 so treated it with some lucozade. Woken up feeling very anxious again. If I’m honest I don’t know how to process all of this, whilst the govt are saying they are putting measures into place by securing more testing etc you’ve got nhs officials stating that they have no idea if they can handle the peak of this :( I think that I really need to stop watching the news because I’m really letting it consume me. Has anyone got any tips or anxiety recommendations during this period please because I do not want this stress to mess with my diabetes control!

Reactions: pcs63

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning guys, hope everyone is well. I woke up with a sugar of 3.6 so treated it with some lucozade. Woken up feeling very anxious again. If I’m honest I don’t know how to process all of this, whilst the govt are saying they are putting measures into place by securing more testing etc you’ve got nhs officials stating that they have no idea if they can handle the peak of this :( I think that I really need to stop watching the news because I’m really letting it consume me. Has anyone got any tips or anxiety recommendations during this period please because I do not want this stress to mess with my diabetes control!

Morning,

How bizarre. I woke with a 3.1. Drove that pesky low away with a jelly baby & biscuit.

Have you tried escaping into a box set series or epic movie?

Most of mine involve space ailen infestations or invasions inspired by "Cold War" western paranoia. Seems to help me... Lol,

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I escape it all in a good book, or a film. Have you got some outside space where you can be distanced? Looking at things budding and reviving’s cheering. I’ve also sown some seeds and get very excited when the first green bits poke out above the soil (I’m like this every spring). If you’ve any dried mung beans or chickpeas you could try sprouting them.
What do you enjoy doing? Do you like making stuff? A task that demands lots of thought, planning and problem solving, like how to turn all your old jumpers into a new, multi patterned sofa-cosy blanket for next winter, might take your mind off stuff. Do you have friends to share silly stuff and chat with with in something like a WhatsApp group?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gawd, just looked at the jumper idea. The image in my head when I wrote it was stunningly Folk meets Modernism, but the words I’ve written conjured up an image of a friend’s demented mother whose crochet’s now only fit for the BFG.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh and 7.1 on waking, could do better but for the last two days I’ve been visited by the diagremlin that occasionally drops in to play mad sugar roulette with me. No rules apply. Wish I knew why it happens. So I’m happy with a fairly even night and a 7.1.