I am 56 and diabetic, and CKD 2, with high BP. Iam a nurse do not want to go to work as frightened a

jeanovine

I am 56 nurse, with diabetes, CKD 2,and high blood pressure,do not feel safe at work, in high risk ...do I go to work, as the people I work with could give it to me, no testing.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You could discuss your conditions with your employer. Ultimately the decision about whether to work or not has to be yours. As a nurse you may be better placed than most to judge risk.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 56 nurse, with diabetes, CKD 2,and high blood pressure,do not feel safe at work, in high risk ...do I go to work, as the people I work with could give it to me, no testing.

I'm afraid that no one here can give any advice.
Kidney disease is on the government list of increased risk factors. But I am sure that the stage of the kidney disease, your age, and any number of other factors play a part.

I really think you should discuss this with both your employer and your doctor.

having said that, I really hope you find a way through this. It is such a difficult decision, and so many people are faced with similar situations at the moment. Very stressful.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Jeanovine, It is impossible for us to judge your situation from the outside. There is talk about both tests and PPE being more widely available for NHS staff soon (whatever soon means).

The UK government have finally implemented a fairly strict lockdown. This will both reduce the peak infections and mean that things tail off much sooner. The models currently suggest a peak in 2 to 3 weeks time (though because of the incubation period the diagnosed cases will lag the actual). Thus it may well be that things are a lot safer in say 5 to 6 weeks rather than the 12 weeks that was originally suggested.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forums.

As said above we can't tell you what you should do. But my sympathies. I'm about to have to make a sim liar decision- not in health care but a service industry with a lot of client contact. I'm not much younger than you and with diabetes and asthma feel if I get it the odds aren't great.

I get that you are frightened. It is a tough call- good luck making the best decision for you.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Speak to your line manager.you need a risk assessment, and should be working as far as possible from the Covid 19 wards. If you are dealing with the public you should have PPE . If it’s not available you had better go on furlough.
Frankly, you are no use to the NHS taking up an ICU bed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be clear, nobody can self-furlough and expect full, usually sick pay arrangements. Any granting or enforcing of furlough is down to the employer, as the employers must apply for the "replacement" salary , if they do.

Be careful, @jeanovine , that if you decide for yourself to stop going to work, that you can support yourself - just in case.

That isn't to scare or threaten you into work, but to ensure you are considering all the consequences of any actions you take.

Cdean8780

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dont think you can furlough if you're a key worker.

I'm on similar boat. Diabetic and hypertension but fall into no mans land/vulnerable group.
I work for NHS,my job was cleaning the infected rooms. I was told not to do the covid infections, but if you're on a ward or a+e you have no idea if anyone is suspected of having it or even asymptomatic so how can you keep distance from people displaying symptoms and social distance on wards etc impossible.

I would love to furlough. I ended up getting doctors note for stress n anxiety