Really annoyed by NHS Diabetes prevention program

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got diagnosed as pre diabetic around 4 weeks ago. I’ve really overhauled by life since then and am on a low carb diet, trying to transition into keto. I’ve lost weight and I’m feeling good.

But today I got my call from the Diabetes Prevention people my GP put me on to and it threw me for a real loop. They want me to eat more carbs, they’re weirdly patronising (“we’re going to teach you how to read a nutrition label” “choose an apple instead of crisps”) and I feel like they weren’t listening when I said I felt good about my current diet.

But since it was referred to me by my GP I feel like I should give it a chance? What does everyone else think?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got diagnosed as pre diabetic around 4 weeks ago. I’ve really overhauled by life since then and am on a low carb diet, trying to transition into keto. I’ve lost weight and I’m feeling good.

But today I got my call from the Diabetes Prevention people my GP put me on to and it threw me for a real loop. They want me to eat more carbs, they’re weirdly patronising (“we’re going to teach you how to read a nutrition label” “choose an apple instead of crisps”) and I feel like they weren’t listening when I said I felt good about my current diet.

But since it was referred to me by my GP I feel like I should give it a chance? What does everyone else think?
Hi @RosieMaxwell .
Seems you are doing fine without the input of the Diabetes Prevention team, who are probably going to be using the old Eatwell plate science.
They are probably going to be a bit toobusy to be bothering you for the forseeable future, apart from, perhaps offering online teaching. Up to you whether or not you engage.
In your position I would be inclined to follow the path I had chosen for myself, but keep accurate records of what I was eating, my weight, and regular testing of blood glucose levels. I hope you are testing, at the very least fasting level; before each meal and 2 hours after each meal. That way, when current crisis in health is over, and someone in your GP surgery checks up on you you will be able to ‘educate’ them on how you sorted things without their intervention.
Sure you will be able to do it

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I'd have some rather pointed questions ready - I don't think that newcomers should have such bad information given to them. I was not so unruly when diagnosed, but I believe that one of the people on the course with me has lost a foot since them, and the other one was looking bad, in a sort of rubber cover with bandages - the 'educators' said that baked beans with baked potato was a good choice for lunch.
It probably isn't worth the aggravation, but I'd let the GP know that you don't want to have such rubbish spouted at you - someone has got to tell them that they need to get real.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd stick to your current low carb diet, ignore the dumb advice from the so called "professionals" as they clearly don't know what they are talking about and do not let them dictate to you what to eat. They have no right to do so, no one does.

Chances are you will potentially elevate your risk of becoming diabetic if you follow the "eat more carbs advice." I would not personally give it a chance if it were me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Why should you eat more carbs when (as you already know) less carbs help reduce our glucose levels: Go on the course if you must, but just ignore what they tell you - in the end they can't dictate what you eat if you're getting good results.

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel a little vindicated.

I don't understand why they're so focused on carbs being a good thing. I was trying to tell her that I've been a yo-yo dieter in the past and although I lost weight on an old form of WW, I felt hungry ALL THE TIME. It was a real struggle to stay within my allowance so obviously as soon as I hit goal I just stopped and the weight came straight back on again.

I really feel like low carb is so much simpler. I still have energy and although I'm aware the Keto flu might be coming as I try to transition, I'm also aware it's short term. I have a significant amount of weight to lose and I just don't want to be hungry and tired for months and months when it seems like there's a way to lose weight and not feel that way.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel a little vindicated.

I don't understand why they're so focused on carbs being a good thing. I was trying to tell her that I've been a yo-yo dieter in the past and although I lost weight on an old form of WW, I felt hungry ALL THE TIME. It was a real struggle to stay within my allowance so obviously as soon as I hit goal I just stopped and the weight came straight back on again.

I really feel like low carb is so much simpler. I still have energy and although I'm aware the Keto flu might be coming as I try to transition, I'm also aware it's short term. I have a significant amount of weight to lose and I just don't want to be hungry and tired for months and months when it seems like there's a way to lose weight and not feel that way.

Don't forget that you are in charge of your own health.
You choose what goes in to your body.
Other people can advise but at the end of the day it's all down to you.
If it works for you then stuff them!

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel a little vindicated.
My doctor has been very supportive and said "there's increasing evidence that diabetics don't deal well with carbs". It's hard to 'go against' healthcare professionals' advice but it's worth noting the professionals don't all agree with the advice you are getting.
Low carb has really worked for me so I'm not unbiased!

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even me, as a Type 1, agree with people here above - do what seems to work, and ditch the carbs, if you feel well that way. I'm myself limiting carb intake to almost keto-status, but because of not quite suitable insulins, I'm not there yet...
So, if I as a Type 1 can reach keto-values, without bigger problems, ask them why they think carbs are so essential...
(Ketones nowadays more or less constantly between 0.3 and 1.5, but that's not quite enough yet. Have to treat smaller hypos, a bit too often, so that's the reason for not reaching better values yet...)

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor has been very supportive and said "there's increasing evidence that diabetics don't deal well with carbs". It's hard to 'go against' healthcare professionals' advice but it's worth noting the professionals don't all agree with the advice you are getting.

Fascinating. Actually now that you mention it, when I first spoke to the diabetic nurse all those weeks ago she SEEMED like she was talking about bringing down my carb intake (that's actually how I found this site). But I only had 30m with her that one day. Since then, the Prevention people are all about carbs carbs carbs.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fascinating. Actually now that you mention it, when I first spoke to the diabetic nurse all those weeks ago she SEEMED like she was talking about bringing down my carb intake (that's actually how I found this site). But I only had 30m with her that one day. Since then, the Prevention people are all about carbs carbs carbs.

Suggest they change name to Hindrance People, then... :angelic:
(without the word Diabetes appearing)

Reactions: Bex72

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Smile, nod, and do what you think best, that way you don't go down as unco-operative

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why they're so focused on carbs being a good thing.
It was generally accepted (not anymore) that eating fat was bad, causing heart attacks etc. So because people have to eat the Eatwell Guide reduces fat by increasing the proportion of carbs. Not only was the basic idea wrong but worse was applying the same guide to diabetics as well as the general population.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Your diabetes nurse probably did seem to suggest that you should reduce your carb intake. However, (s)he will be walking the tightrope between having to provide the official NHS advice and giving advice based increasingly on the evidence from her patients who are successfully dealing with their Type 2 diabetes.
Have confidence in yourself to make intelligent decisions about what you eat. You will feel so much healthier!

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Smile, nod, and do what you think best, that way you don't go down as unco-operative

Hmm... I agree to only some extent, meaning, if you get into real trouble, yes.
In other cases I think it's better to stand up for your cause, because If you don't, you can be totally overrun with bad ideas AND the other part doesn't know where you stand...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Like others I could say things here which could get me banned! Carbs are the enemy and one day PHE and the NHS will get that - give it another 20 years. Personally I would leave the course and tell the GP why but it's your choice. BTW its the same PHE that has messed up Corona virus testing

M

Member496333

It works both in terms of food and medicine.. something we often forget when in thrall to our "experts" who often aren't!

Too right. My position on any advice from a healthcare professional is now one of default scepticism until proven otherwise. Eminence based medicine is out.