I feel like i wont be happy again:(((

rebetic

I was diagnosed a month ago and nothing felt normal afterwards i’m worried all the time and im scared that i’ll have or develop another disease and whenever i read an illness symptoms i start feeling them or i think about them all the time, they said that if i have type 1 i’ll get celiac disease soon ! I know **** well that worrying about it wont prevent it but i keep thinking about it and if i get it there isnt a lot of options in my country for celiacs everything has gluten in it and if its gluten free it will be so expensive why am i even thinking about this i dont have it yet !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with T1, it's a lifelong illness (probably, though there is hope for a cure in your lifetime, if not mine.)

I've been T1 since the age of 8, for 50 years, so I don't really remember much about life before diabetes. But it certainly hasn't stopped me enjoying my life, and my health is still good, despite many years of mediocre to poor control before glucometers became available. No one's ever told me that I would get coeliacs, though I do understand it is a bit more likely for T1s. (It's still very unlikely, just a bit more likely than for a non T1).

Though it's not a disease I'd wish on anyone, it is one where the patient can have much more control than the doctor. In the long run, as you learn about how carbs, insulin, exercise, illness, stress and everything else interact with your body, you'll learn how to optimise your dosing and lifestyle decisions, and there are few paths in life that are closed to you. Modern treatment for T1s is improving in leaps and bounds, and I really don't see why you have to inevitably get a whole load of other illnesses as a result.

Can I ask which country you are in, as options for medical help and food choices do vary by country, though the basic illness may be the same? Remember, whatever the issue, whatever the time of day, they'll always be someone on these forums to listen and (hopefully) offer help and advice. Diabetes affects everyone differently, but there's a good chance that whatever issue you face has been faced before by others on here. There's a very steep learning curve for managing this, which can seem overwhelming when you start out, remember you don't have to learn it quickly, it's the long term (years and decades) that is important.

Good luck, keep safe, and try to remember that things will get easier in the future.

rebetic

I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with T1, it's a lifelong illness (probably, though there is hope for a cure in your lifetime, if not mine.)

I've been T1 since the age of 8, for 50 years, so I don't really remember much about life before diabetes. But it certainly hasn't stopped me enjoying my life, and my health is still good, despite many years of mediocre to poor control before glucometers became available. No one's ever told me that I would get coeliacs, though I do understand it is a bit more likely for T1s. (It's still very unlikely, just a bit more likely than for a non T1).

Though it's not a disease I'd wish on anyone, it is one where the patient can have much more control than the doctor. In the long run, as you learn about how carbs, insulin, exercise, illness, stress and everything else interact with your body, you'll learn how to optimise your dosing and lifestyle decisions, and there are few paths in life that are closed to you. Modern treatment for T1s is improving in leaps and bounds, and I really don't see why you have to inevitably get a whole load of other illnesses as a result.

Can I ask which country you are in, as options for medical help and food choices do vary by country, though the basic illness may be the same? Remember, whatever the issue, whatever the time of day, they'll always be someone on these forums to listen and (hopefully) offer help and advice. Diabetes affects everyone differently, but there's a good chance that whatever issue you face has been faced before by others on here. There's a very steep learning curve for managing this, which can seem overwhelming when you start out, remember you don't have to learn it quickly, it's the long term (years and decades) that is important.

Good luck, keep safe, and try to remember that things will get easier in the future.

Thank u so much i truly felt better after reading your reply , im from Dubai

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed a month ago and nothing felt normal afterwards i’m worried all the time and im scared that i’ll have or develop another disease and whenever i read an illness symptoms i start feeling them or i think about them all the time, they said that if i have type 1 i’ll get celiac disease soon ! I know **** well that worrying about it wont prevent it but i keep thinking about it and if i get it there isnt a lot of options in my country for celiacs everything has gluten in it and if its gluten free it will be so expensive why am i even thinking about this i dont have it yet !!!

Hello again,

I've been diabetic since a kid for comming up 43 years.. Apart from T1 & a stabilised & fixed eye issue.
Nothing else..

Why are you even thinking about this? It may never happen.

Take your condition as it is now with your concerns, & learn regarding your life experience at this time.

Be happy.

Reactions: rebetic

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand how you feel - I was only diagnosed 6 years ago and at the time it felt completely overwhelming. It’s a lot to take in, so give yourself time to process it. The good news is that you have a condition which with the right management will have negligible impact on your life. You will adapt to it but this takes time and practice. Just take each day as it comes, try not to worry about things that haven’t happened yet (I know that’s easier said than done), and keep talking about how you’re feeling- there’s tons of great advice here on the forums.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a relative newcomer compared to those two just being in my 36th year of it and apart from T1 nothing else too, it's very easy for me to say but concentrate on 'learning' your diabetes first and foremost and 'don't borrow trouble' worrying about things outside your control

I've a friend with a diabetic son (3 or 4 years in) and his mum has the gluten allergy but the boy doesn't as far as it goes.

:)

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had to put my nose in here...
I agree with all here, and just wish to say - I got my diabetes, when I was 15 months old, and this means I'm at about 54 years with diabetes. Some small problems, yes, but nothing that is fundamentally wrong, as long as you don't count what's between my ears, possibly...;) I don't even have celiac disease. I am oversensitive to wheat flour, true, but that is not celiac.

Please, don't panic - you probably have a long life, free from diabetes related diseases in front of you. The only thing that is important, to get this happen, is that you take care of yourself...

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
they said that if i have type 1 i’ll get celiac disease soon
Whilst you may be slightly more susceptible to getting it, it is definitely not a certainty, as you can see quite a few here have T1 and are not coeliac.
Whilst I do have both, that doesn't mean you will, and my coeliac diagnosis was definitely not soon after my T1 diagnosis anyway, nearly 30 years between the two diagnoses.

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regarding your diagnosis - have you heard about Dr Bernstein's diabetes solution book? I would highly recommend it. If you can't get it in your country or if it is too expensive, you can watch his videos on youtube. He has lived with diabetes for over 70 years - and reversed all of his complications by following very low carb moderate protein diet, hight intensity excercice, and correct amounts and timings of insulin.

Regarding celiac disease - it is not cause by diabetes, it is caused by glyphosate - a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide and crop desiccant. It is the active ingredient in the herbicide, Roundup® that causes celiac disease. Fish exposed to glyphosate develop digestive problems that are reminiscent of celiac disease. Celiac disease is associated with imbalances in gut bacteria that can be fully explained by the known effects of glyphosate on gut bacteria. Characteristics of celiac disease point to impairment in many cytochrome P450 enzymes, which are involved with detoxifying environmental toxins, activating vitamin D3, catabolizing vitamin A, and maintaining bile acid production and sulfate supplies to the gut. Glyphosate is known to inhibit cytochrome P450 enzymes. Deficiencies in iron, cobalt, molybdenum, copper and other rare metals associated with celiac disease can be attributed to glyphosate's strong ability to chelate these elements. Deficiencies in tryptophan, tyrosine, methionine and selenomethionine associated with celiac disease match glyphosate's known depletion of these amino acids. Celiac disease patients have an increased risk to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which has also been implicated in glyphosate exposure. Reproductive issues associated with celiac disease, such as infertility, miscarriages, and birth defects, can also be explained by glyphosate. Glyphosate residues in wheat and other crops are likely increasing recently due to the growing practice of crop desiccation just prior to the harvest.

Have you heard about PKD diet by paleomedicina in Hungary - they are reversing celiac disease patients by changing their diet to what they call paleo-ketogenic diet protocol where you stop eating carbs for up to 4 weeks and only eat animal products (2:1 fat-to-protein in grams). You can find Zsofia Clemens or Csaba Toth interviews on youtube. What they preach is that modern processed food based diet destroys your gut and leads to metabolic diseases including Crohn's disease and diabetes.

What you eat has a big impact on your health. If you have a bit of time (the video lasts 90 minutes) , please watch "Is a Calorie a Calorie? Processed Food, Experiment Gone Wrong" by Prof Robert Lustig where he explains why "eat low fat and exercise more" does not work.

There are also emotional support group for diabetics on facebook or you can speak to a counselor in your town.

Take care and good luck in your journey.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I'm a relative newcomer compared to those two just being in my 36th year of it and apart from T1 nothing else too, it's very easy for me to say but concentrate on 'learning' your diabetes first and foremost and 'don't borrow trouble' worrying about things outside your control

I've a friend with a diabetic son (3 or 4 years in) and his mum has the gluten allergy but the boy doesn't as far as it goes.

:)
Hi @kev-w Interesting you should say this. My family have been bombarded with auto-immune conditions over nearly 150 years. Before that I have no information. But I do know that none of them had more than one of these conditions at the same time. My maternal Grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis, her children, including my mother, all escaped this, but her genetic lineage almost certainly caused me to be diagnosed type 1 while still a baby. My sister has had rheumatoid arthritis for at least ten years now. My daughter has the celiac element, having suffered severe anaphylaxis on her first day in Australia nearly twenty years ago. For @rebetic None of us have had lives that can be classed as miserable. We've all had moments, but I'm going to enclose the last letter I wote to father, shortly before he died:
Dear Duds,

It was good to talk to you this morning. As I mentioned, I thought I would put down some thoughts concerning your anxiety about making the right decision on 9th July 1959. I have never doubted that you did the right thing. Some of my earliest recollections date back to before we moved from Adur Avenue.
I remember you knocking over Mrs Greenyer's dustbin with the Bentley and watching it roll down the drive. Also my favourite record and movement in particular was the slow movement of Brahms' First Piano Concerto played by Kempff. I also recall moving house in the Bentley sitting in the back with a section of train set perched at 45 degrees so that Giles and I were able to shunt trucks down, giggling all the time.
On reaching 337, the garden was so wild, with straggly raspberry bushes growing in what looked like a storm-damaged cornfield with 3 apple trees (conveniently we owned 1 each), a damson tree, and a huge privet hedge which we could crawl through and hide inside. I remember Johanna, at the age of three, biting into an apple while perched in the fork of the biggest tree, and Giles and I pointing out that it had a slug (I now think maggot) and an ant in it. With that she grinned and shoved the rest in her mouth. I also, at a similar age, remember her being the only one of the three of us being brave enough to go and find your Thor copper mallet with which she squashed a large wasp on the kitchen doorstep. I also remember that for years there was a completely flattened wasp in the same door's hinge plate. I would guess that the garden was nothing but a burden as far as you were concerned, but to us it was magical. As there were at first 2 pianos in the house, I think it was inevitable that I would be sucked into music, even if played badly. Whatever the standard of playing I very much enjoyed the challenge of trying to run before I could walk.
Complaining of boredom never met with sympathy, and I remember Mummy saying “There's plenty of drawing paper, books to read, trees to climb or a piano to play”. Of course she was right and I have never regretted her stance. Sometimes we would walk along to Buckingham Park or up to Erringham Farm, playing tollybonks* or looking for newts in the dewponds. In many ways we enjoyed a very liberal childhood. A little later came the go-cart... Even though I damaged myself on more than one occasion by taking a bend too quickly or falling off the back while acting as co-pilot, I had enormous fun on what became a Silver Cross Brescia Bugatti. I also loved exploring the finer parts of south-east England in whatever car we had at the time. Directly resulting from this I often turn off down tracks having no idea where they might lead, but I am able to rely on a grid system to keep my bearings. I remember you stopping at tiny churches, mainly in the hope of finding an unlocked organ. We enjoyed both playing and pumping the bellows on many of them. Resulting from listening to Widor, Schweitzer and Power-Biggs, this directly influenced a whole future career both at Lancing and beyond. I have made so many wonderful contacts in the organ world including the Directors of Music of Rochester, Ely, and St Edmundsbury Cathedrals as well as Southwell and York Minsters (The latter of course being Francis Jackson) not to mention Anne Page, Hans Hielscher of Wiesbaden Marktkirche, Martin Setchell (Organist of Christchurch Town Hall and Cathedral, New Zealand) for whom I am a reviewer. I also have an open invitation to play at St Magnus the Martyr, London Bridge. In addition to all this I have also played on a wonderful Cavaille-Coll at St Omer Cathedral.
All this is enough to have made life more than worthwhile. In post university years I have enjoyed organ building and 19 years of teaching, travelling abroad and touring all over England, Wales, Scotland and Southern Ireland. I have had the joy of seeing Stephanie flourish and become an excellent mother to gorgeous Amelia, as well as continuing the long line of Vicatic musicians. It looks as if Amelia will follow suit. Time will tell.
When looking at the darker side of a longer life than any medic predicted, I have been blessed by remarkably nice carers and doctors, including during the epic stay in Southlands in 1966. Oddly I felt pampered, probably because I was the only child walking about the ward and thus able to help the nurses.
This has continued right the way till now. I have had over 150 cards #, messages and prayers, including past pupils and even from an American author (for whom Helen does the illustrations) who sent me a signed copy of one of her latest works with a lovely message on the title page.
In short I have felt a great sense of achievement every time I celebrate another birthday and enjoy chalking up the years.
Thank you for making the right decision in 1959 and also for all the support in the ensuing years. The good has far outweighed the bad.
Lots of love to you both,
Grant

Adur Avenue, at the end of the first paragraph, refers to 6 Adur Avenue, Shoreham-by-Sea. My mother's brother Jack moved there once we had left.

337, at the beginning of the third paragraph, refers to 337 Upper Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea.

* Tollybonks are pulled up handfuls of stubble with a large blob of clay, which fly through the air impressively

# Actually 255

Last edited:

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rebetic

I can add very, very little to what the good folks here have said. I’m now 56 years on insulin and for sure, I have never ever tried to lead a normal life because I don’t believe such a thing exists. What I have done though, from an early age, is learned to adjust to suit the condition and me.

In my long life, I’ve done everything I ever wished to do but was only able to do that by ‘adjusting’ to suit whatever I did. That could mean how and when I took my insulin, what I ate etc. I feel sure you will learn very quickly how to do that and will begin to notice, over time, how easy it becomes. Also, please do not get anxious about what could happen because there is a very good chance it will not. I can happily say I speak from experience about that.

I wish you well in this new journey and keep coming back here because the forums and the folks who freely contribute will always try to help and reassure. For me, signing up was the best ever thing I did!

Bill

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kev-w Interesting you should say this. My family have been bombarded with auto-immune conditions over nearly 150 years. Before that I have no information. But I do know that none of them had more than one of these conditions at the same time. My maternal Grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis, her children, including my mother, all escaped this, but her genetic lineage almost certainly caused me to be diagnosed type 1 while still a baby. My sister has had rheumatoid arthritis for at least ten years now. My daughter has the celiac element, having suffered severe anaphylaxis on her first day in Australia nearly twenty years ago. For @ rebetic None of us have had lives that can be classed as miserable. We've all had moments, but I'm going to enclose the last letter I wote to father, shortly before he died:
Dear Duds,

It was good to talk to you this morning. As I mentioned, I thought I would put down some thoughts concerning your anxiety about making the right decision on 9th July 1959. I have never doubted that you did the right thing. Some of my earliest recollections date back to before we moved from Adur Avenue.
I remember you knocking over Mrs Greenyer's dustbin with the Bentley and watching it roll down the drive. Also my favourite record and movement in particular was the slow movement of Brahms' First Piano Concerto played by Kempff. I also recall moving house in the Bentley sitting in the back with a section of train set perched at 45 degrees so that Giles and I were able to shunt trucks down, giggling all the time.
On reaching 337, the garden was so wild, with straggly raspberry bushes growing in what looked like a storm-damaged cornfield with 3 apple trees (conveniently we owned 1 each), a damson tree, and a huge privet hedge which we could crawl through and hide inside. I remember Johanna, at the age of three, biting into an apple while perched in the fork of the biggest tree, and Giles and I pointing out that it had a slug (I now think maggot) and an ant in it. With that she grinned and shoved the rest in her mouth. I also, at a similar age, remember her being the only one of the three of us being brave enough to go and find your Thor copper mallet with which she squashed a large wasp on the kitchen doorstep. I also remember that for years there was a completely flattened wasp in the same door's hinge plate. I would guess that the garden was nothing but a burden as far as you were concerned, but to us it was magical. As there were at first 2 pianos in the house, I think it was inevitable that I would be sucked into music, even if played badly. Whatever the standard of playing I very much enjoyed the challenge of trying to run before I could walk.
Complaining of boredom never met with sympathy, and I remember Mummy saying “There's plenty of drawing paper, books to read, trees to climb or a piano to play”. Of course she was right and I have never regretted her stance. Sometimes we would walk along to Buckingham Park or up to Erringham Farm, playing tollybonks* or looking for newts in the dewponds. In many ways we enjoyed a very liberal childhood. A little later came the go-cart... Even though I damaged myself on more than one occasion by taking a bend too quickly or falling off the back while acting as co-pilot, I had enormous fun on what became a Silver Cross Brescia Bugatti. I also loved exploring the finer parts of south-east England in whatever car we had at the time. Directly resulting from this I often turn off down tracks having no idea where they might lead, but I am able to rely on a grid system to keep my bearings. I remember you stopping at tiny churches, mainly in the hope of finding an unlocked organ. We enjoyed both playing and pumping the bellows on many of them. Resulting from listening to Widor, Schweitzer and Power-Biggs, this directly influenced a whole future career both at Lancing and beyond. I have made so many wonderful contacts in the organ world including the Directors of Music of Rochester, Ely, and St Edmundsbury Cathedrals as well as Southwell and York Minsters (The latter of course being Francis Jackson) not to mention Anne Page, Hans Hielscher of Wiesbaden Marktkirche, Martin Setchell (Organist of Christchurch Town Hall and Cathedral, New Zealand) for whom I am a reviewer. I also have an open invitation to play at St Magnus the Martyr, London Bridge. In addition to all this I have also played on a wonderful Cavaille-Coll at St Omer Cathedral.
All this is enough to have made life more than worthwhile. In post university years I have enjoyed organ building and 19 years of teaching, travelling abroad and touring all over England, Wales, Scotland and Southern Ireland. I have had the joy of seeing Stephanie flourish and become an excellent mother to gorgeous Amelia, as well as continuing the long line of Vicatic musicians. It looks as if Amelia will follow suit. Time will tell.
When looking at the darker side of a longer life than any medic predicted, I have been blessed by remarkably nice carers and doctors, including during the epic stay in Southlands in 1966. Oddly I felt pampered, probably because I was the only child walking about the ward and thus able to help the nurses.
This has continued right the way till now. I have had over 150 cards #, messages and prayers, including past pupils and even from an American author (for whom Helen does the illustrations) who sent me a signed copy of one of her latest works with a lovely message on the title page.
In short I have felt a great sense of achievement every time I celebrate another birthday and enjoy chalking up the years.
Thank you for making the right decision in 1959 and also for all the support in the ensuing years. The good has far outweighed the bad.
Lots of love to you both,
Grant

Adur Avenue, at the end of the first paragraph, refers to 6 Adur Avenue, Shoreham-by-Sea. My mother's brother Jack moved there once we had left.

337, at the beginning of the third paragraph, refers to 337 Upper Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea.

* Tollybonks are pulled up handfuls of stubble with a large blob of clay, which fly through the air impressively

# Actually 255

Grant, what a fantastic letter and one I could have written myself. I especially loved when you wrote:

'Oddly I felt pampered, probably because I was the only child walking about the ward and thus able to help the nurses'.

Do you remember that every few years most of us kids were admitted to be 're-stabilised'? I could never figure this out as those fizzing little tablets were mostly green or blue but there was no option. Almost every time, although only a child, I was placed in a ward of mostly miners suffering from lung related conditions. I loved every one of them and my god, they spoiled me rotten. Sometimes, when checking back in two years later I'd meet one or two miners I'd 'lodged with' before. Loved that. Sounds crazy but I actually looked forward to this wee week's 'holiday' every few years!

Bill

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Grant, what a fantastic letter and one I could have written myself. I especially loved when you wrote:

'Oddly I felt pampered, probably because I was the only child walking about the ward and thus able to help the nurses'.

Do you remember that every few years most of us kids were admitted to be 're-stabilised'? I could never figure this out as those fizzing little tablets were mostly green or blue but there was no option. Almost every time, although only a child, I was placed in a ward of mostly miners suffering from lung related conditions. I loved every one of them and my god, they spoiled me rotten. Sometimes, when checking back in two years later I'd meet one or two miners I'd 'lodged with' before. Loved that. Sounds crazy but I actually looked forward to this wee week's 'holiday' every few years!

Bill
I know exactly where you're coming from! Great to hear from you Bill. I'm locked in my own castle for the (foreseeable?) future - today I dug up 22 brambles - with venom! I trust you're keeping well. All the best. Grant

Bishop

You need to stay positive, it's not easy when you just find out you need to live with this condition for the rest of your life.
I am also a type 1 and I remember what a dreadful time it was when I got diagnosed. You need time but everything will be good for you. You will be able to enjoy yourself again and actually you will manage to control your diabetes easily and you will become a much tougher and better person than you used to be. Maybe it sounds impossible now but this is how you will be shortly, believe in yourself! How many times did you manage to achieve something which seemed impossible to you in the past? This is one of these things, you just need a bit of time.
As about other new conditions, don't waste your time too much about it, there is no guarantee you will get anything else, focused more on living your life. I hope this may help you.
I have a new youtube channel, I am trying to help more people like us. You can have a look if you want to.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi... it is difficult, managing it is a full time job, and large parts of your life will change especially the way you have to consider things.. for example one I used to be able to go out and so long as I had my wallets and keys nothing else mattered... now there is a whole list of stuff and the list gets bigger the longer you will be out..

Then there battling with do I go out socially as it’s much more complicated now....

But life does start to feel normal again, and life does go on.. and I’ve adopted more of a what happens, happens attitude and deal with it as it comes..

If you are really struggling I’m sure you diabetic team can point you in the right direction for emotional help.. even if it’s a local group of diabetics that you can just talk to..

Good luck, and above all remember life’s not over.. it can get easier
X