Best Carb Counting App?

Shari68

Hi which is the best Calorie Counting App for UK? I'm newly diagnosed t1, LADA and I've been on insulin for a couple of weeks. My DSN and dietitian has now said to count the carbs and work out insulin needed before each meal.
I was told to download an app called Carbs and Cals but the reviews aren't that great. Is there a better one out there? I don't mind having to pay for it.
Thanks in advance

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could try MyFitnessPal as an alternative. I used the free version to count calories and carbs in the past and it worked well. Not sure about the best though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi which is the best Calorie Counting App for UK?
My DSN and dietitian has now said to count the carbs
Hi @Shari68 , I can't advice you on apps, as I usually look up the carbs on the back of the food package or else do a quick google search (like 'carbs apple' or such).
But could you tell us if it's the calories you want to count or the carbs? Like your DSN said, it's the carbs, not the calories helping you get your doses right.

All the best, stay safe!

Reactions: Shari68

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use Carb Manager app. tracks your carbohydrates and calories and fats and protein you just search the food eaten on the data base and it does the rest for you.

It does have loads of other features I use it every day

I'm not T1 but it is still a useful app to have but must admit maybe not so great for a T1

Last edited:

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check out diabetes:m. Not just calorie counting but a food database and bolus calculator too.
+1. This is brilliant and well worth the money. When did they add the food data base? Maybe I'm just blind and it was always in there. The feedback from this app really helps you stay on top of your diabetes.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
+1. This is brilliant and well worth the money. When did they add the food data base? Maybe I'm just blind and it was always in there. The feedback from this app really helps you stay on top of your diabetes.
Am I imagining that? Quite possible. I don't personally use it, but did install it an play with it a while back. I'll take another look later.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew, thought I was losing it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200402-063510.png
    Screenshot_20200402-063510.png
    513.7 KB · Views: 133

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just wonder why you are counting calories do they make a difference when calculating insulin dosage?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is no need to count Calories - just Carbs. Carbs are the food group that affects our blood sugar and also most of our weight. Calories are not a food group and as the body treats different food groups in different ways, calories don't measure the right things we need to know. Just measure the carbs and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. Ignore the front of food packaging such as Traffic Light labels and look at the back of packs and Total Carbs.

Shari68

Hi @Shari68 , I can't advice you on apps, as I usually look up the carbs on the back of the food package or else do a quick google search (like 'carbs apple' or such).
But could you tell us if it's the calories you want to count or the carbs? Like your DSN said, it's the carbs, not the calories helping you get your doses right.

All the best, stay safe!
Hi sorry for the mix up. I don't even know why I put Calorie Counting, I meant carb counting.....