COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
One thing I don't understand is why/ how the virus makes the lungs/throat/nose so very dry?
Possibly an anticholinergic effect, an atropine like effect that the virus upsets.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As the understanding of how this virus works continues to be understood, it's important to remember what we can do...

In cancer treatment there are two approaches (that can be used together, not just one or the other): 1) kill or remove it and 2) change the terrain of the body so it's not a happy home for the cancer.

I'm putting my energy and effort into the latter as I do what I can to prepare for exposure to this coronavirus, but will use those drugs too if needed and available.

Yes, this is absolutely the point, Winnie. This is what we can do.

>>I listened to Peter Attia's current podcast last night. Still processing it<<

Yes. Me too. Very affected by it. “Supply chain, supply chain, supply chain.”

Lucy

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's all very informative and good to know.

It doesn't explain why some become severely ill while others are asymptomatic or only mildly ill though.

Increasing production of these drugs and PPEs and ventilators needs to happen now but that's outside my control and influence.

As the understanding of how this virus works continues to be understood, it's important to remember what we can do...

Get glucose levels down with diet and exercise. If you're not already, take a good quality multivitamin and mineral supplement - (for B vitamins, zinc, and selenium); vitamins A and D3; magnesium and vitamin C. I always take D3 with K2.

Interestingly, it appears most of the vitamins and some minerals play a role in preparing the body for battle with this virus.

In cancer treatment there are two approaches (that can be used together, not just one or the other): 1) kill or remove it and 2) change the terrain of the body so it's not a happy home for the cancer.

I'm putting my energy and effort into the latter as I do what I can to prepare for exposure to this coronavirus, but will use those drugs too if needed and available.

The problem continues to be access to testing in the US for a variety of reasons. I listened to Peter Attia's current podcast last night. Still processing it.

I also listened to Peter Attia's podcast while I went for my very lengthy walk today. There is something reassuring about his calm take on the pandemic, but he's very worried and that makes me worried too. I'm also digesting it and I plan to review the podcast notes tonight.

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
valuator, I think Dr. Attia, like so many of us, is frustrated by the many unknowns. I recall in previous episodes hearing his frustration with the lack of data due to the lack of testing throughout the country. And prior to that hearing him describe going through problem solving processes while sleeping for a couple of nights.

Perhaps now that he's had a few guest on The Drive podcast that are very experienced and knowledgeable about past pandemics and epidemics, he's beginning to see a way through this challenging time.

I guess the big question is, will enough of the population be willing/able to shelter in place long enough? I'm introverted so am quite happy to be at home. But in recent days, part of me wants to become infected with the virus so I can get past the daily stress of worrying about having it and passing it on to someone else.

Right now, as Lucy mentioned, the attention needs to be on building supply chains. A local manufacturer here has begun production of masks for healthcare professionals. They're hoping to ramp up production enough to supply regional hospitals. It's a start. Hearing stories like this around the country are encouraging.

[Oops, edited for clarity.]

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today, Dr. Mark Hyman, MD and three of his colleagues, who specialize in function medicine, did a live webinar, A Functional Medicine Approach to COVID-19. It's a good overview and there's some Q & A at the end...

And I believe this is where additional written information is provided - (Full article: https://www.drhyman.com/c19 ) - but I haven't been able to view it yet. 35,000 people viewed the live webinar today, and tonight the website appears to be overwhelmed. Will try again to see what's there in the morning.

Later today, Dr. Peter Osborne uploaded a video on what's happening with vitamin C and other treatments being used with COVID-19 in the US and elsewhere right now...

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to the original topic:

USA figures from CDC
Diabetes 10.9%

upload_2020-4-2_7-38-35.jpeg

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6913e2-H.pdf

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what we need to know is what about those diabetics made them higher risk? It’s an awfully large umbrella at just “diabetes” What is specifically relevant
Type?
Complications of diabetes? Eg cvd, obesity, low vitamin c, kidney function if so which ones
lack of bg control and stability?
current glucose level? metabolic disease in the wider sense for type 2
Mechanisms that are still dysfunctional regardless of control/complications?
Is it actually about insulin levels not bgl etc etc

These are the questions that matter in trying to establish what our personal risks are and how important to covid each aspect is

I suspect it’ll be some time before it’s identified

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what we need to know is what about those diabetics made them higher risk? It’s an awfully large umbrella at just “diabetes” What is specifically relevant
Type?
Complications of diabetes? Eg cvd, obesity, low vitamin c, kidney function if so which ones
lack of bg control and stability?
current glucose level? metabolic disease in the wider sense for type 2
Mechanisms that are still dysfunctional regardless of control/complications?
Is it actually about insulin levels not bgl etc etc

These are the questions that matter in trying to establish what our personal risks are and how important to covid each aspect is

I suspect it’ll be some time before it’s identified
Also, diabetes could be only one of a number of comorbidities a deceased had.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to know the numbers that have been recorded as dying of Coronavirus because they tested positive, but had other serious illnesses. . Just what is being put on the death certs in these cases? Is it the only cause of death, the main cause, or listed as a contributory cause, or would they have died anyway?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to know the numbers that have been recorded as dying of Coronavirus because they tested positive, but had other serious illnesses. . Just what is being put on the death certs in these cases? Is it the only cause of death, the main cause, or listed as a contributory cause, or would they have died anyway?
I read this morning that only when we can compare actual deaths in this period to “normal” and “expected” rates will we know what the increase has been. Sadly some of these Coronavirus labelled deaths would have occurred otherwise but with different terminology on the certificate.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

i think it will be almost impossible to winnow ‘facts’ out of the recorded numbers for anything. :(

only yesterday I read that the reason Germany has such an astonishingly low C-19 death rate is not because people are not dying. Rather it is because the death certificates record cause of death differently from other countries, and if the COVID-19 made someone so ill that their heart gave out, then they are recorded as dying of heart failure, not C-19.

as @HSSS says, we will only see anything clearly when the horrendous final numbers are in.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this might answer your question but it will need more study than I have done so far.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIDBAM&usg=AOvVaw1QSI5nQjb1KhF8ilbOx1ke

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is the document...

Attachments

• guidance-for-doctors-completing-medical-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf
    372.4 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: Bill_St

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting that the choice is T1/insulin dependent or T2/non-insulin dependent. Not just T1 or T2.

jane1950

if you have type 1 diabetes that is not well controlled, would you be more likely to be hospitalised if you get coronavirus

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you have type 1 diabetes that is not well controlled, would you be more likely to be hospitalised if you get coronavirus
The only indications that I have seen is that T2 is more likely for severe illness but there is no indication at all about level of control in that - only that hyperglycaemia is more likely to create conditions for worse outcome.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An interesting chart on the lockdown front.

My second home in Murcia Spain has a very strong lockdown - not even walking for exercise! Indeed there have been quite a number of reports to police when neighbours break the lockdown and very large fines imposed ; €600 minimum.
Here is the chart of new cases. A very clear drop.
upload_2020-4-2_19-47-21.jpeg

This drop is not as clear in Madrid where there are many large apartment blocks and much more difficult lockdown enforcement.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting chart on the lockdown front.

My second home in Murcia Spain has a very strong lockdown - not even walking for exercise! Indeed there have been quite a number of reports to police when neighbours break the lockdown and very large fines imposed ; €600 minimum.
Here is the chart of new cases. A very clear drop.
View attachment 39942
This drop is not as clear in Madrid where there are many large apartment blocks and much more difficult lockdown enforcement.
Hubby works with someone whose family live in Madrid. People in Madrid were told not to go out to work because of the virus...so they went to Murcia and treated it as a holiday. Rather like the idiots here who went to Wales and Scotland. So that's probably why there's a harsh lockdown in Murcia now. They didn't have any cases until people from Madrid took the virus there.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
i think it will be almost impossible to winnow ‘facts’ out of the recorded numbers for anything. :(

only yesterday I read that the reason Germany has such an astonishingly low C-19 death rate is not because people are not dying. Rather it is because the death certificates record cause of death differently from other countries, and if the COVID-19 made someone so ill that their heart gave out, then they are recorded as dying of heart failure, not C-19.

as @HSSS says, we will only see anything clearly when the horrendous final numbers are in.

I heard a German doctor saying exactly that in a TV interview a few days ago. He went on to say this would possibly change and the Germans should expect to see a large increase in recorded deaths.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I imagine that you would be hospitalised only if your coronavirus symptoms warranted it, whether you have diabetes or not.