Leahm92

Hello there,
My name is Leah, I just turned 28. Weight 197, height 5'7, family history of type 2 diabetes. currently losing weight (about 1lb per week) and exercise about 20 minutes each day primarily sedentary besides that, but I'm working on it.

I live in the U.S. so excuse my imperial measurements :p
As you know, healthcare is expensive here and since I can buy a glucose monitoring set I went ahead and did that and have recently been tracking sugar. My family history has me wanting to become vigilant about avoiding diabetes if I can.
My morning measurements are usually around 90-95.
However, after breakfast (typically cereal or oatmeal) my sugar ranges from 160-230! Oddly enough, if I eat cake later in the day, my sugar will be back down below 100 after about an hour or two and might not peak past 130. Between meals, my sugar might go as low as 70-79.

So I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this; sugars that only spike high after high carb meals, even though they don't reach that high in the evenings and are normal otherwise.

Thanks so much.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Carbs are our greatest enemy. If you test your blood before you eat and then 2 hours after the first bite, you are looking for a rise of less than 36. If higher, you had too many carbs.

Most of us control our blood glucose by following a form of lchf.

The first thing I would change is breakfast. Can you have bacon and eggs or a cheese omelette?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cereal and oat meal clearly aren’t doing you any favours. Grains are a big trigger for many diagnosed type 2. Cake whilst nice isn’t on many diet sheets.

also it’s not unusual for different types of carbs to have different effects (size or speed of a spike) and for tolerance to change through the day. Mornings are often worse than evening for example.