Evening all!!

J1mmyMacK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

I’ve recently been diagnosed type 2, 51 yrs old and live in the UK.

Great to read the information in the stickies. I notice that we should be offered blood sugar monitoring. I asked about this at my doctors and was told I didn’t need to monitor daily, but would have regular blood tests.

I was in hospital today for a minor op (I know! I was expecting it to be cancelled too!). They were really surprised that I wasn’t monitoring daily and had to test themselves twice, for obvious reason.

Should I be pushing my doctor for the monitoring system, get one myself or not worry about it?

Thanks in advance!

James

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Buy one for yourself ASAP

Some doctors will give them out to Type 2 some will not.

Short answer...

Reactions: J1mmyMacK

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would add, you are unlikely to get a GP to prescribe testing kit for T2. Not because it is not beneficial, as some would have us believe, but because of cost.

Test and record, at the very least, on waking - your fasting level; then before each meal, and two hours after each meal. If you also record what you have eaten, you will be able to see how various foods affect your blood glucose levels.

The following links could be useful, too.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

Reactions: J1mmyMacK

J1mmyMacK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, poemagraphic and Pip, this is what I thought most likely. And thank for the tips Pip. My course and eye test have been cancelled so things I should have picked up last week!
Much appreciated

James

Reactions: Pipp

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Well done you for asking.

Tee 2 for me. Great bit of kit... a must have TBPH

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, was looking at that last night. Also Bluetooth to pair with a tracking app (I do like a gadget!).
Hah my diagnosis just before Xmas was a great excuse to equip myself with a BG monitor, a new set of scales and a blood pressure machine, all of which Bluetooth to my phone, which then rounds up all the info into a single app. I love it, and can geek out for hours over my latest set of stats.

I find it motivating... maybe I’m just self-obsessed! :cat:

Reactions: VashtiB and Pipp

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

I'm another who likes gadgets. I like the mysugr app as it give a prediction of your HbA1c- I find it very motivating. I do have scales which I can sync with my phone- haven't done that yet but will soon- I have lost a lot of weight- more than 25kg but I didn't 't want to focus on my mighty loss but on my blood sugar levels first. I'm trying g to think about it not as a diet but as just the way of life no. I manage that but if I was concentrating on weight loss I would try to eat less and then would be hungry. I am still losing weight so not worried about it yet.

In relation to the course- I think you will get much more from the links provided by @Pipp

Good luck.