JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have just been informed that you may not receive a letter if you have not registered as a vulnerable person and included your NHS number the 9 digit number on the
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable page

Even if you have had one or are not expecting to get one it may be best to register as a vulnerable person anyway.

Edited to correct link

And may just be me panicking and every one had registered already.

Last edited:

gillytee31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried this but you can only register if you are classed as EXTREMELY vulnerable and being diabetic does not count. I am type 2,and until December was on insulin but have several other co-morbidities including heart disease, liver disease and hypertension together with severe disability caused by childhood polio. I feel as though I am extremely vulnerable but according to the government I am not.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I tried this but you can only register if you are classed as EXTREMELY vulnerable and being diabetic does not count.

To be honest I had not realised that you needed to have comorbidities or would not be able to register. And it annoys me it probably makes many people justifiably feel abandoned by the system.:(

Sorry if I had raised unfounded expectations though there are many here who have other conditions and I hope the information may have at least been useful to them.

:sorry:

Reactions: Mrs Badger

Mrs Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put in an application anyway as I have Type 2 (but taking Gliclazide and Metformin), Heart Disease, High Cholesterol, Underactive Thyroid, Hypertension and Polymyalgia (taking Steroids for that and weakens my immune system). I didn't get a letter but I have been told by my surgery to self isolate for 12 weeks due to my conditions. It is getting very frustrating.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have not had a letter have registered on the link I gave above I have diabetes, asthma and myasthenia gravis which directly impacts my breathing it weakens the muscles that control breathing and I also take prednisolone though I know someone who received a letter because they take 20 mg of preds a day but I had recently stepped my dose down to 15 mg a day seems no rhyme or reason to it.

Reactions: Mrs Badger

Mrs Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have not had a letter have registered on the link I gave above I have diabetes, asthma and myasthenia gravis which directly impacts my breathing it weakens the muscles that control breathing and I also take prednisolone though I know someone who received a letter because they take 20 mg of preds a day but I had recently stepped my dose down to 15 mg a day seems no rhyme or reason to it.

No there is no rhyme or reason to it John. The registration site is very vague and should have a notes section to list what other high risk medical problems you have so they can make a more considered decision.

I registered last week, and gave them my NHS no. They cannot tell me that they looked into my medical records to make a decision. I strongly believe that there are more than the 1.5 million people (government quote) in this country that are vulnerable that need some kind of help or assistance.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
I have T2 and not well controlled just had meds increased. Also hypertension,anaemia and hypothyroid. Have self isolated last week with a cough ( nhs worker) Had so much conflicting advice about work . Finally contacted occupational health and they have told me that high hba1c and unstable diabetes is high risk and have told me I should be shielded for 12 weeks. Feel glad that I can stay safe at home but equally sad that I'm not with my colleagues on the front line during this terrible time

spingoblin

I have not got any of the conditions on that list of 'extremely vulnerable people' that was getting sent out to 1.5m people and wasn't expecting it.

Today however I received a 4 page NHS headed letter which has my NHS number at the top and it seems to be the same as what I have found googling online as to what that letter looks like.

Paragraphs 2 and 3 state (And parts of the letter are in bold too);

'You are receiving this letter as you have been identified as someone who is at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus. This is based on information that is held on your GP records. You may already have received this letter directly from the government and we are sorry if this causes you concern however we felt that it was important to make sure that you had the information you need to stay safe.
'The safest course of action is for you to stay at home at all times and avoid all face-to-face contact for at least twelve weeks from today, except from carers and healthcare workers who you must see as part of your medical care. This will protect you by stopping you coming into contact with the virus'

My conditions are Type 1 Diabetes (Historically not very well controlled!) and Depression. It appears to be authorised by my GP surgery and directs me to the website link gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable several times within the pages.

Anyway i've registered via the link and i'll see what happens, worst is that they can only turn me down - and I did not ask for or expect this letter.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw that diabetes was included at first (we get a free flu jab...) but later disappeared from some lists.
We have an excellent BBC local radio station here in Norfolk and on the phone-in medical section this week , I asked the following:-

"Can the GP confirm if diabetes is on the list of "vulnerable conditions" also does Type 1 or type 2 make a difference and would how well you are controlled matter?"

The response I feel was VERY clear (for a change!) and to summarize:-
1. No reply about differences in type....
2. If your HbA1C is over 75 then you WILL be on the vulnerable list.

My only other comment would be this does obviously NOT preclude listing due to other illnesses/conditions!

Hope this helped others, definitely cleared things up for me!