Type 1 self isolation, sick note key worker

I am type 1 diabetic I am a chef in a care home I was given a sick note by my doctor to be off work for 12 weeks as I was at risk of infection from coronavirus the note also confirms unfit to work, duration 12 weeks. I called my manager and told them the situation. The manager seemed very surprised which I was quiet shocked about and did not offer support only to say please email me the sick note. I explained I did not feel like I should be going to work especially as we have alot of residents and workers who could give me the virus, and being a type 1 I am classed as at risk. Social distancing is almost impossible in a health setting and was not prepared to put myself or my family at risk so I would be taking the doctors advice. My manager said they would be in contact in the following days. I recieved a call from manager 3 days later saying he was following HR's instructions to call staff to see if there is anyway they can put in measures to help staff return to work, I was very shocked by this as I know many type 1s who have been given alot of support under the current circumstances in different jobs regarding coronavirus and feel like they are not interested in the sick note. I told my manager I had to follow the Dr's orders and would remain off for the 12 weeks. Manager said they would pass on my response to Hr. I wanted to ask if anybody else has experienced anything like this and what they have done. I am honestly expecting another call probably from occupational health to assess me. Can an employer refuse a sick note and try to make me go to work? I feel like they will just try to discipline me or even worse sack me for being off sick when all I am doing is trying to protect myself, family and job, surely we should be supported by employers in these times and have our job protected ? I have called acas and they have said just wait to see what there response is. Thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 1 diabetic I am a chef in a care home I was given a sick note by my doctor to be off work for 12 weeks as I was at risk of infection from coronavirus the note also confirms unfit to work, duration 12 weeks. I called my manager and told them the situation. The manager seemed very surprised which I was quiet shocked about and did not offer support only to say please email me the sick note. I explained I did not feel like I should be going to work especially as we have alot of residents and workers who could give me the virus, and being a type 1 I am classed as at risk. Social distancing is almost impossible in a health setting and was not prepared to put myself or my family at risk so I would be taking the doctors advice. My manager said they would be in contact in the following days. I recieved a call from manager 3 days later saying he was following HR's instructions to call staff to see if there is anyway they can put in measures to help staff return to work, I was very shocked by this as I know many type 1s who have been given alot of support under the current circumstances in different jobs regarding coronavirus and feel like they are not interested in the sick note. I told my manager I had to follow the Dr's orders and would remain off for the 12 weeks. Manager said they would pass on my response to Hr. I wanted to ask if anybody else has experienced anything like this and what they have done. I am honestly expecting another call probably from occupational health to assess me. Can an employer refuse a sick note and try to make me go to work? I feel like they will just try to discipline me or even worse sack me for being off sick when all I am doing is trying to protect myself, family and job, surely we should be supported by employers in these times and have our job protected ? I have called acas and they have said just wait to see what there response is. Thank you

I can't speak for any special conditions surrounding this time, but when all is said and done, your employer has a business to run, and care, to a certain standard, delivered to their residents. Being off sick does not guarantee anyone a job.

In another life, as a a senior manager, I have had to manage employees out of the business where they were unable to work over a period of time, but their jobs needed to be done.

It can take a while, but it can be done.

To reiterate - I am not commenting on your specific set of circumstances, and I am not posting that to put the wind up you. It is what it is.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Did you actually email the sick note to your manager? Your post doesn’t make it clear whether you did or not.
A work place will have procedures that they have to go through in cases where a employee is well and I expect this is what they’re doing. There’s usually a staged return that’s set up once the sick note period has expired and it may be that HR want to talk about that. These are all things that were instituted pre-Covid19 and I imagine very few institutions will have had time to devise new procedures.
It’s possible that your worries about the effects Covid19 has on a T1, raised blood sugars, etc etc, are making you more anxious about HR’s actions than you need to be. You have a sick note, your doctor’s looking after your best interests. You were lucky to get one before the government changed the guidelines about who was vulnerable. Most of we T1s will envy you
Stay safe, stay healthy, and try to stop worrying: anxiety raises blood sugars.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are many of us with diabetes who are in very different sets of circumstances BUT if you have had the 'letter' (as coveted as the chocolate bar ticket out of Charlie & the chocolate factory) then I think you should stay at home. No matter what your Employers think about YOUR medical history, they are not the experts and the actual experts have said you are at risk and you should self isolate. To me there is no room for negotiation once you have been instructed to do this, it is not a game and without dramatising it all, are you really prepared to put your life at risk? Without such a letter there may well be room for negotiation and personal risk assessment by your employers but to answer your question, I say stay at home. (I cannot imagine any employer would get away with sacking you in these circumstances without a hefty penalty). Also @andrewjones080385#, get your Manager/HR to put everything they are telling you in writing, it is much harder for them to go completely against medical advice when they are having to write down WHY they are ignoring it. x

Naoglo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was going to post to ask a similar question..
I am a nurse with type 1.. I work in an outpatient setting right now and can do a lot of telephone work with patients.
My manager has risk assessed me and has told me that I should be ok to be redployed to work on a ward if the need arises..
I have contacted OH, who originally said that as it is impossible to practice social distancing so that was not acceptable, now they back tracked.. I have contacted my union who were supporting me but I am conflicted. I want to help out but don't want to put myself at risk..

Can I ask if there are any other key workers who are not being supported by manager with social distancing? Also, I don't know how risky it is? My HbA1c is 7.6% so not too bad..

Thanks

Reactions: KesLouise

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to post to ask a similar question..
I am a nurse with type 1.. I work in an outpatient setting right now and can do a lot of telephone work with patients.
My manager has risk assessed me and has told me that I should be ok to be redployed to work on a ward if the need arises..
I have contacted OH, who originally said that as it is impossible to practice social distancing so that was not acceptable, now they back tracked.. I have contacted my union who were supporting me but I am conflicted. I want to help out but don't want to put myself at risk..

Can I ask if there are any other key workers who are not being supported by manager with social distancing? Also, I don't know how risky it is? My HbA1c is 7.6% so not too bad..

Thanks

I’m a key worker social worker and have to go into peoples homes to visit my manager and team across the board are very supportive. They did a risk assessment as well and were concerned about the change in government guidance from what it originally said. I can’t complain to be honest, they try to do the best they can by me!

Naoglo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m a key worker social worker and have to go into peoples homes to visit my manager and team across the board are very supportive. They did a risk assessment as well and were concerned about the change in government guidance from what it originally said. I can’t complain to be honest, they try to do the best they can by me!
Thanks KesLouise, so I guess you are just continuing to do your job as normal without social distancing?

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks KesLouise, so I guess you are just continuing to do your job as normal without social distancing?

Strictly speaking we are social distancing and following the guidance, working from home where possible - how this is happening is quite difficult