What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's proposed menu - have had breakfast and main meal is cooking so 2 elements in place. We'll call the mains : So why go to the trouble of buying and moving an IP if you won't use it ? Matthew Fort eat yer heart out it is authentic clownshoe old git cooking. Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 3 x 700 mls ; Dockey: Cheddar cheese: L: h/b egg and avocado salad and maybe some Sainsburys 85% Choc; Aft: CWC and tea; Meal: Ox cheek stew/casserole/melange; some kind of leafy green veggies; Vegges likely to be cabbage . Melange has onion, carrot, swede, mushroom, celery, 300 mls oxo, tomato puree, star anise and smoked paprika . Saute meat (***) throw veggies add liquid spice/aromatics/ pretentious nonsense, stir then hit slow cook, keep warm and low expectations buttons. Vit C powder drink for me and lots of fruit, tea and coffee for Julie so no one starves. Hope y'all protect our NHS by protecting yourselves. Tomorrow's fun will be roasting a duck!
@shelley262 thanks for the wishes for Julie - basically she just seems sleepy. Hope Cooper and your son stay/ get well and hug for the stress. @Goonergal healing and full recovery not the same thing - take it easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had curry left-overs for breakfast. I don't usually do that, although my husband used to love curry for breakfast, but it was there and I was hungry. Now feeling quite nauseous.

Dinner - who knows when? It will not be the other chicken breast - freezer for that, I think. May just be scrambled egg and (perhaps) a RyVita or 2. Feel the need for plenty of fluids today. Neil still hanging around trying to clear up after me. Doesn't seem to be too much bothered about distancing himself from me. I guess, if he was going to catch anything off of me, he would have done so by now.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Today's proposed menu - have had breakfast and main meal is cooking so 2 elements in place. We'll call the mains : So why go to the trouble of buying and moving an IP if you won't use it ? Matthew Fort eat yer heart out it is authentic clownshoe old git cooking. Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 3 x 700 mls ; Dockey: Cheddar cheese: L: h/b egg and avocado salad and maybe some Sainsburys 85% Choc; Aft: Tea; Meal: Ox cheek stew/casserole/melange; some kind of leafy green veggies; Vegges likely to be cabbage . Melange has onion, carrot, swede, mushroom, celery, 300 mls oxo, tomato puree, star anise and smoked paprika . Saute meat (***) throw veggies add liquid spice/aromatics/ pretentious nonsense, stir then hit slow cook, keep warm and low expectations buttons. Vit C powder drink for me and lots of fruit, tea and coffee for Julie so no one starves. Hope y'all protect our NHS by protecting yourselves. Tomorrow's fun will be roasting a duck!
@shelley262 thanks for the wishes for Julie - basically she just seems sleepy. Hope Cooper and your son stay/ get well and hug for the stress. @Goonergal healing and full recovery not the same thing - take it easy.

For someone who claims not to cook, that sounds pretty impressive. Good for you. Julie sounds to be well cared for as well. You are both lucky in each other. Sleepy sounds pretty normal for latter stages of many of these viral things, as does slow complete recovery (therefore not pushing oneself is a good idea @Goonergal and everyone else who is still feeling the effects of illness). Be good to yourselves.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For someone who claims not to cook, that sounds pretty impressive. Good for you. Julie sounds to be well cared for as well. You are both lucky in each other. Sleepy sounds pretty normal for latter stages of many of these viral things, as does slow complete recovery (therefore not pushing oneself is a good idea @Goonergal and everyone else who is still feeling the effects of illness). Be good to yourselves.
Thank you @Ann B. Hardly impressive just buy good equipment and ingredients, stay awake when Heston is on TV (even if pretending not to listen or watch), then press buttons. I hope you and your family are keeping as well as possible and as nourished as possible. Lucky? I have other ideas about who or what directs my life but people's mileage varies on that. We're faaambly now anyhow:angelic:

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds good. Rotisserie is a huge bonus and a big reason we went for that one. Maybe a link to the cheaper model would be an added bonus. We can't keep all the good toys to ourselves. Hoarding of loo rolls is local league level. Air fryer hoarding is Champions League level.
Our local Farm Shop has been promoted to Premier for the vast stocks of tinned tomatoes and toilet rolls they've managed to get in AND still sensibly limiting customers to 1 Pack of toilet rolls and 1 x 4 tinned tomatoes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A wee bit behind as, like @Goonergal, I had a bit of a relapse which I reckon was down to trying to do too much plus this gum issue. @ianpspurs - the gums have improved but still causing problems. Inflammation is going down but not pleasant. Dentist reckons my body has been so busy fighting off whatever was infecting me left the way clear for the gum flare up. Since it is subsiding, better to persevere rather than get antibiotic. @Goonergal - hope you are recovering again. I have a lot of posts to catch up on. @DJC3 - Happy belated birthday x Caught that on a brief scan. @Chook - how are you doing keeping Mr Chook inside?
Think my last post was Wednesday. Thursday bed 5.5 FBG 5.3.
B. TAG
L. Brought another "unknown" from the freezer which I hoped was soup. It was, but it was Scotch broth which is a bit carby. I felt so vile that I ate it which put my BGs to 9.2 at their worst but they came down quite quickly.
D. IP went into action to do beef olives with carrot, onion and chucked potatoes in for Hubby as well. I had the beef olive with mashed carrot.

Felt almost normal again at bedtime.

Reactions: annabell1 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="ianpspurs, post: 2244287, member: 193971 Lucky? I have other ideas about who or what directs my life but people's mileage varies on that. We're faaambly now anyhow:angelic:[/QUOTE]

So do I, but let's just call it luck, or fate, or karma or whatever you want. Good to be in that place anyway. We are all family (even if it only feels temporary) and, as they keep telling us, we are all in this together - the whole world of us!

On my 6th mug of tea so far. I think I'll dig out the green tea and make up a pot of that at a time to bolster the hydration.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Day 2 of Mr C's lockdown: first thing he took off to buy olive oil, new hose fittings and vegetable plants -there wasn't any veg plants so he bought a really random ten packets of veg seeds - our veg patch is only 12ft x 35ft . Now he is disassembling part of the kitchen (I've no idea why) and in doing so has broken the hoover and cracked the big yellow teapot which he gave me on the day we got engaged - the teapot was displayed on the dresser and he moved the dresser without take all the stuff on it off. :arghh:

BIG SHOCK at the cost of the seeds! I normally get them off eBay at a fraction of the cost :wideyed:

@Goonergal a big socially distanced hug coming your way and I hope you feel a lot better soon

@ianpspurs thats exactly how I cook. I read recipe books and watch tv cooking programmes for ideas but never follow recipes

@Annb the idea of living in such a remote place sounds idyllic but the reality sounds very challenging. My daughter used to always eat leftover curry (or leftover anything) for breakfast when she was in her teens.

@shelley262 I hope you manage to get your sons meds soon. Nightmare situation!. We had a text message from our local pharmacy saying any repeat prescriptions should be required by phone and they will deliver. Trouble is its almost impossible to get through on the phone.

Today's menu

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (tiramisu flavour - not nice) (Mr C had a couple of sausage rolls from the butcher's in the village)

Lunch: Actimel and a bit of cheese. (Mr C thinks he will have a couple of fish fingers in a roll with tartar sauce)

Dinner: Me: Linda McCartney burgers (which are very, very nice) with mushrooms cooked in butter and halloumi 'chips' and a green salad - (Mr C will have the same but with potato wedges and no halloumi). I will have a couple of strawberries for pudding - Mr C will choose from the selection if desserts he has bought himself.

I'm thinking of hiding Mr C's cards otherwise we will be broke by the time this lockdown finishes.

Take care every one x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All. Hugs for those of you still not firing on all cylinders. Spent this morning food cupboard and freezer stocktaking, making cheese scones and directing Mr PM trimming shrubs. He has a tendency to overdo it and get down to the brown twigs!
Today I had slice HiLo from the basement of the freezer toasted, good butter, lots of tea. Lunch Mr PM and I shared some rustic Brie from the farm shop, again rustic bread from FS for him and cheese scone gor me. Supper will be two rump burgers with melted cheese few chips for Mr PM and cheese & tomato omelette for me. If the wind drops might be preceded by a gin or two on the terrace.
I am getting to the end of my Waitrose goodies in the freezer and realise it will be many months before I realisticly can replace them unless the internet shopping improves oc. This far in fortnightly C&C at Sainsburys has been the way to go. Take care All.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - so glad to see you got sorted out with groceries. I noticed that they are catching up with England & Wales on shielding groups as they have now said text messages should be going out to all those who have received their shielding letters. I've also heard from other friends in England that they started to receive boxes of basic groceries on Friday. Not in the low carb category but they were grateful none the less. I can relate to what you are saying about the floors. I did one side of my kitchen yesterday and knocked myself for 6. DIL pointed out I'm still weak so need to build up gradually. It took an eternity to get that side done though. @DJC3 & @Chook - Eccles cake - loved them. Those and Welsh Cakes. There was a firm I visited frequently in Wales and the owner's wife used to make a batch of Welsh Cakes every time she knew I was visiting.
Still catching up on posts but yesterday
B. TAG and 1 slice black pudding, 2 rashers back bacon, scrambled egg. Felt OK in the morning.
L. Stayed away from mystery freezer packs after yesterday so nothing. Instead decided to tackle one side of the kitchen. Bad idea as I mentioned above.
D. Did a kung po beef stir fry with Lidl high protein noodles. I'd received a butcher and a veggie delivery so had quite a few options.

Still felt reasonable until late evening when I had another funny turn with legs and jaw. Glad to say gums are a lot better this morning but causing some nausea as the inflammation disappears.
My DGF order appeared today but will save them. Got two of the new flavours- lemon and blueberry drizzle cake and the chocolate and hazelnut blondie. Can I have one of each today (Saturday) since I feel better again?

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1/2 pig update. Was indeed a very substantial pig. Pack included 2 trotters and half the liver. Some amazing joints and huge number of chops - I'm not a fan of chops but in these times just getting hold of food when you can't/shouldn't leave home is a bonus. Belly pork looks amazing and when we tried their's that was fantastic. Also came with a box of veg. Do I ask for half a lamb next? - less keen on lamb in general but their's is good.
Trotters are brilliant for a gelatinous stock.

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb so glad Mrs V turned up trumps. What a relief for you and Neil.
@Brunneria I volunteered for prescription delivering here. We were told to either post through the letterbox or if too large, put on doorstep knock on the door and take 3 paces back to wait for the door to open.
Today’s food black coffee this morning plus one with cream to try to lift my mood ( didn’t work as I don’t seem to enjoy it with cream anymore - that alone cheered me a bit!)
Lunch was leftover cream of spinach soup.
Dinner https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/pork-loin-roast-with-blue-cheese-sprouts another odd sounding recipe that turned out to be a winner.
A lovely surprise sent by a friend today- a Montezumas 100% black ‘Heather Hen’ Easter egg complete with peanut butter eggs. Yay! My intention to keep it til Easter lasted 4 hrs and poor Heather is now headless.
Headless Heather - that made me laugh.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Trotters are brilliant for a gelatinous stock.
Rodney, Del Boy, Granddad or Uncle Albert?:angelic: Did I ever tell you about the time I sunk off ....:angelic: Thanks though. Quite upset there wasn't an ear and half a tail. Refund maybe? - no @Tipetoo will tell me they were in the sausages - which were nice last evening in a casserole type production including plenty of leek and oxo gravy. 5.8 at 2 hrs which is bad but impossible to tell what impact any of the variables had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annb and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal take care and look after yourself
@Brunneria wish my eldest sons pharmacy had your volunteers we have long queues to face during very limited opening hours plus as they don’t answer their phone one of us has to keep going and queueing to find out that yet again no his asthma preventative inhaler isn’t there yet - now ordered over two weeks ago and running very low - isn’t yet in because of a national shortage! Resorted this pm after yet another stressful experience to start looking at private pharmacies- it shouldn’t be like this....... but if his severe asthma deteriorates will be real probs.
@Annb pleased to hear about your Mrs V - think we all need one.
@DJC3 headless chocolate chicken mmm! Sounds like my sort of birthday surprise a very thoughtful friend indeed.
@ianpspurs your half a pig sounds amazing wish we lived nearer! Hope Julie improving?
@Tori71 love cheesies a pack was delivered on mother’s day to me but all cheddar ones - my favourite as I like strong cheese
@Chook hope you keep mrC in lockdown sounds a challenge and that your Asda delivery worked out well.
Difficult care worn day today but we are all well and safe. Our neighbour also is very poorly at the moment. He has MS and an infection and they are considering moving him to hospital not a good place to be at the moment. Worrying would normally give my friend and neighbour his wife a big hug but really can’t do anything like that at moment. They have carers in every day must make you even more vulnerable.
Also poor cooper youngest sons dog - my avatar - isn’t well and had emergency vet visit. Got treatment and hoping he gets better soon.
Anyway back to food topic what I ate today:
Breakfast two boiled eggs and chaffle
Lunch lc cheese scone and hm lc choc granola bar
Dinner lasagne made with chaffles as substitute pasta followed by sf jelly and cream.
I was aware of the inhaler issue. I never know which are which but our chemist did a double issue for my son. They panicked because they couldn't find the blue ones but turned out someone had put them in the fridge with the pinks. They did say the blues were becoming a problem.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rodney, Del Boy, Granddad or Uncle Albert?:angelic: Did I ever tell you about the time I sunk off ....:angelic: Thanks though. Quite upset there wasn't an ear and half a tail. Refund maybe? - no @Tipetoo will tell me they were in the sausages.
That did occur to me. Trotters Independent Gelatinous Gravy?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo could do online video courses?

Our local butcher really indulges me, if the shop is quiet. I have often asked, if he's butchering something for us, if I can watch very closely and he'll talk me through any unseen checks or processes he's doing, like feeling out joints, or avoiding sinew, or whatever.