Newly diagnosed with pre-diabetes

Dpaterson9

Hi all. I'm a 31 year old male who, just recently, has been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Its a shock as I don't smoke or drink, I'm only 12.4 (stones/pounds ). My blood sugar was 9. I then went and got a HBA1C test and it was 45. I will admit, I eat junk food and I'm a very stressed individual smothering with anxiety, depression and a tic disorder. This of course has worsened it all. This time last year I was running 10ks and today ran 3.8, spewed up and felt like I was going to faint. I really need help as the doctor (obviously with the corona pandemic) couldn't help much. If someone could be so kind to give me diet advice and tell me why I'm feeling so dizzy and tired even when doing small physical tasks.
Thank you so much

mouseee

High blood sugar can cause fatigue. When I got my levels down again I suddenly realised how exhausted I'd been before.

You've come to the right place for advice. You can make easy changes to diet which should get your numbers down into normal very quickly.

If you can add a post with a typical days food, we can give you some advice based on it but basically.... ditch the carbs, in any form and any colour.

Also, get a blood glucose meter and check before you eat and 2 hours after first bite and look for a rise of less than 2 as you want to avoid things that make you blood glucose rise any higher.

It took me 7 months to get from 101 to 39, so 50 to non diabetic should be a breeze!

Reactions: Dpaterson9

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Can you tell us what steps you are taking in regards to the prediabetes? 45 isn't too bad and if you have been correctly diagnosed, you can certainly get into the normal range very quickly.

Stress raises levels, so chill as much as you are able.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well firstly many people at DX have MUCH higher figures than those for both Hb and BS so dont panic! Read all you can one Low Carbing it is definately the key for many many people on here and definitely worked for me! Also take care to remember it is a long race and dont expect instant results, it also seems that quick results can also cause problems, lowering BS too rapidly makes many people feel dreadful for a while as the body has become used to higher BS levels regularly!

Keep asking questions on here and listen to all answers as a range of responses to most things is the norm on here, but at least it helps you see the obviously "radical" comments

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi all. I'm a 31 year old male who, just recently, has been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Its a shock as I don't smoke or drink, I'm only 12.4 (stones/pounds ). My blood sugar was 9. I then went and got a HBA1C test and it was 45. I will admit, I eat junk food and I'm a very stressed individual smothering with anxiety, depression and a tic disorder. This of course has worsened it all. This time last year I was running 10ks and today ran 3.8, spewed up and felt like I was going to faint. I really need help as the doctor (obviously with the corona pandemic) couldn't help much. If someone could be so kind to give me diet advice and tell me why I'm feeling so dizzy and tired even when doing small physical tasks.
Thank you so much
First thing on the to-do list: quit junk food once and for all. Next, reduce refined carbs and sugars to a minimum. Then, maintain regular exercise, regularity is more important than duration or type. Finally, look for ways to reduce stress and ensure high quality sleep. Your case is far from being hopeless; you've got plenty of ways to rid your body of the perils of T2D. All the best of luck.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
High blood sugar can cause fatigue. When I got my levels down again I suddenly realised how exhausted I'd been before.

You've come to the right place for advice. You can make easy changes to diet which should get your numbers down into normal very quickly.

If you can add a post with a typical days food, we can give you some advice based on it but basically.... ditch the carbs, in any form and any colour.

Also, get a blood glucose meter and check before you eat and 2 hours after first bite and look for a rise of less than 2 as you want to avoid things that make you blood glucose rise any higher.

It took me 7 months to get from 101 to 39, so 50 to non diabetic should be a breeze!
There are so many people with T2D who have come off clean of all sorts of medications.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much
I'm rather teetotal and haven't smoked since the 13th of August 2004. Surprise, I'm still a bona-fide T2! ;) It's a genetic condition, not something you get because you live a life of vice. So though yeah, fast food isn't really a good idea, this was probably going to happen sooner or later. No need to play the blame-game with yourself, genetics aren't your fault, after all.

Anyway, you wanted to know how and what? https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- that's everything I wish someone'd told me when I was first diagnosed, mainly about diet. For you, it's not a way to control your T2, it's your guide to how to avoid becoming a T2. I hope it helps. trust me, if you get your blood sugars down it will help you get your stamina back, AND it will help with depression, anxiety and related mental conditions... I know my depression reigned supreme before I got my blood sugars under control. It does get better. So while the diagnosis came as an understandable shock, look at it this way: Now you know what is wrong, and you can absolutely DO something about it. This is one of those rare conditions you actually have a say in.

You're going to feel much better soon. Good luck!
Jo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't worry about wine or spirits in sensible quantities - just watch beer and cider. Keep the carbs down. No one ever defines junk food but the 'junk' part is the carbs and not the fats or protein.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

I agree with the previous posters and particularly with the link provided by @JoKalsbeek which gives a whole heap of useful information.

You have found a great place to get information and advice- stick around and you will find you can change your levels probably quite quickly and maybe to the surprise of your doctor.

Good luck.

Dpaterson9

Thank you everyone for you're kind messages. So today I bought a glucometer and took my blood sugar before dinner, it was 5.8, took it 2 hours after some healthy veg and chicken, it was 5.9. I then took it before bed and it was 5.2.
Ill update tomorrow with how they are in morning and after meals.
Thank you again guys ❤️