What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb - so glad to see you got sorted out with groceries. I noticed that they are catching up with England & Wales on shielding groups as they have now said text messages should be going out to all those who have received their shielding letters. I've also heard from other friends in England that they started to receive boxes of basic groceries on Friday. Not in the low carb category but they were grateful none the less. I can relate to what you are saying about the floors. I did one side of my kitchen yesterday and knocked myself for 6. DIL pointed out I'm still weak so need to build up gradually. It took an eternity to get that side done though. @DJC3 & @Chook - Eccles cake - loved them. Those and Welsh Cakes. There was a firm I visited frequently in Wales and the owner's wife used to make a batch of Welsh Cakes every time she knew I was visiting.
Still catching up on posts but yesterday
B. TAG and 1 slice black pudding, 2 rashers back bacon, scrambled egg. Felt OK in the morning.
L. Stayed away from mystery freezer packs after yesterday so nothing. Instead decided to tackle one side of the kitchen. Bad idea as I mentioned above.
D. Did a kung po beef stir fry with Lidl high protein noodles. I'd received a butcher and a veggie delivery so had quite a few options.

Still felt reasonable until late evening when I had another funny turn with legs and jaw. Glad to say gums are a lot better thus morning but causing some nausea as the inflammation disappears.
My DGF order appeared today but will save them. Got to of the new flavours- lemon and blueberry drizzle cake and the chocolate and hazelnut blondie. Can I have one of each today (Saturday) since I feel better again?
My mum ( who was Welsh) made fabulous Welsh cakes. I never made them to her standard. Ive also ordered those flavours of DGF cakes not sure when they are due though but I think I will see them straight into the freezer - the way my willpower is at the moment I’d probably scoff the lot in one sitting.
it’s very strange about your funny turns, sounds like there is more than one thing going on but all the niggles are exacerbating each-other. Hope you are soon free of them.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Thanks for all the good wishes. Feeling better today than yesterday and have managed to restrict walking to a short jaunt.

@Chook sorry about your teapot. How are your hands? Do the increased number of posts mean they’re a little better?
@maglil55 glad you’re a bit better today too. Let me know how you get on with the new flavours of DGF. Aside from the double chocolate brownies I’ve found their stuff to be a bit sweet for my taste - especially the millionaires shortbread.

TMAD today. Lunch was mince fried with a few onions (thanks to my Lakeland onion container, a single medium onion has lasted over a month, with a small piece still to use!), two fried eggs, some grated cheese and a few herbs.

Dinner was a chicken leg with a Parmesan and ground pork rind coating followed by a piece of cheese and a pickled onion.

E66C7A69-0149-4478-89E5-0022DDD98488.jpeg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Went out into the sun today. Felt like a mushroom blinking in daylight. Leg held up to minor activity, which was v pleasing. :D:D:D

Meanwhile, the heroic Mr B walked Mutts 1, 2 & 3 from house, to beach, along beach, then back. Quite a long trundle, and it turned out to be a bit too much for Mutt 1 who had several ‘lifts’ en route. Fortunately, being only 5kg and looking like an eternal puppy, Mr B’s street cred is now that of a gorgeous man, carrying a gorgeously cute ‘puppy’, with two more daemonically gorgeous mutts on leads at his feet.

Thank heaven for social distancing, or he would have been mobbed by random women wanting to pet Mutt 1.

B: scram egg and 2 not v nice sausages
L: tuna mayo in a lo dough wrap => indigestion :mad:
S: blob peanut butter which did not help with the indigestion.
D: will be pork chops done in air fryer. With chipotle relish.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Evening all. Thanks for all the good wishes. Feeling better today than yesterday and have managed to restrict walking to a short jaunt.

@Chook sorry about your teapot. How are your hands? Do the increased number of posts mean they’re a little better?
@maglil55 glad you’re a bit better today too. Let me know how you get on with the new flavours of DGF. Aside from the double chocolate brownies I’ve found their stuff to be a bit sweet for my taste - especially the millionaires shortbread.

TMAD today. Lunch was mince fried with a few onions (thanks to my Lakeland onion container, a single medium onion has lasted over a month, with a small piece still to use!), two fried eggs, some grated cheese and a few herbs.

Dinner was a chicken leg with a Parmesan and ground pork rind coating followed by a piece of cheese and a pickled onion.

View attachment 40005

No, no better. On the recommendations of GP and consultant I'm persevering with Tramadol to see if I can get over the side effects by starting it off slowly. Seems to be working. :)

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook - Tramadol and me just could not get along. Knocked me even more stupid. Having said that , I couldn't get along with cocodemal either. Glad you're feeling better @Goonergal. The two new DGF flavours - I don't find them too sweet. The lemon/blueberry it is the lemon that is predominant. The other it's the hazelnut. Very nice but very tempting. @DJC3 - DIL said the same thing that I seem to have different things working against each other. I just had another "funny turn" before dinner but now I feel fine again. The legs are not unusual. Ever since all the damage to my nervous system from the crash, my legs are like an early warning system of an approaching bug. Legs tighten, I feel chesty and just generally "off". Doesn't last long then it passes over and I feel OK again. Glad to say my gums have almost recovered. @isnpspurs - you are very much on form today. Very funny. How's Julie doing?
Bed 5.7 FBG 5.3. BGs are fine despite the funny turns. Was even in the 4's much of today.
B. TAG and a slice of skinny bread with Philadelphia.
L. TAG and one each of the DGF chocolate & hazelnut and the Lemon & Blueberry.
D. Beef wraps. Got thinly sliced steak from the butcher and a very nice (what he called Indonesian sauce). Stuffed the beef with sliced onion and peppers, rolled them up and cooked them in sauce in the oven for 20 mins. Hubby made real chips for himself as we had a big bag of potatoes in our veggie box.

Plenty of water and I reckon I'll be off for a hot shower again soon. Hope that's the funny turns done for today.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you’re feeling better today @Goonergal I wasn’t keen on the DGF millionaires shortbread either.
@maglil55 and @Chook I had a really bad reaction to Tramadol, 3 days after I had my kidney out I was discharged from hospital but only got 100 yards along the corridor when I all but collapsed and had to be readmitted. The funny thing was Id had it before with no ill effects. It looks like you have your hands full with Mr Chook in lockdown.
Today I started with black coffee as usual, then cheesy scrambled eggs and avocado for brunch.
Quite a lot of 100% Montezuma’s Easter Egg this afternoon. Terrible willpower!
Dinner was fathead pizza and a couple of glasses of red. Hope that’s it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and gingerbread carb killa bar
Late Lunch: a handful of pistachios followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - so glad to see you got sorted out with groceries. I noticed that they are catching up with England & Wales on shielding groups as they have now said text messages should be going out to all those who have received their shielding letters. I've also heard from other friends in England that they started to receive boxes of basic groceries on Friday. Not in the low carb category but they were grateful none the less. I can relate to what you are saying about the floors. I did one side of my kitchen yesterday and knocked myself for 6. DIL pointed out I'm still weak so need to build up gradually. It took an eternity to get that side done though. @DJC3 & @Chook - Eccles cake - loved them. Those and Welsh Cakes. There was a firm I visited frequently in Wales and the owner's wife used to make a batch of Welsh Cakes every time she knew I was visiting.
Still catching up on posts but yesterday
B. TAG and 1 slice black pudding, 2 rashers back bacon, scrambled egg. Felt OK in the morning.
L. Stayed away from mystery freezer packs after yesterday so nothing. Instead decided to tackle one side of the kitchen. Bad idea as I mentioned above.
D. Did a kung po beef stir fry with Lidl high protein noodles. I'd received a butcher and a veggie delivery so had quite a few options.

Still felt reasonable until late evening when I had another funny turn with legs and jaw. Glad to say gums are a lot better this morning but causing some nausea as the inflammation disappears.
My DGF order appeared today but will save them. Got two of the new flavours- lemon and blueberry drizzle cake and the chocolate and hazelnut blondie. Can I have one of each today (Saturday) since I feel better again?

My brother (in Swindon) tells me he has just received an e-mail from Asda as he is on a list somewhere as requiring support. They are offering him delivery slots for weekly shopping. He is assuming that Tesco will be doing the same here. Not so far, but who knows? Actually, I don't think Tesco is exactly coming up roses right now. Not that I am complaining because due to our volunteer lady, we should be OK from now on.

I am going to have scrambled eggs this evening but I've decided to add a couple of pork sausages and a couple of tomatoes. They are in the oven at the moment and should be ready in a few minutes. I also succumbed and had a couple of Krackawheat biscuits and peanut butter in the afternoon.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual two egg cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, spudlite.
Lunch: Cheese and kimchi salad lc wraps.
Dinner: Crumbed Nile Perch fillets (salt and vinegar chips smashed up for crumbs), salad.
Dwe01us.gif

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

D

Deleted member 308541

Just had our groceries delivered, some good substituted stuff again:

2 dozen free range instead of two dozen cage eggs.
Brand name shredded cheese instead of generic home brand
Brand name paper towel instead of generic home brand.
Brand name serviettes instead of home brand.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've not really done well eating today. Had a pork pie, pot noodle and some crisps. Just couldnt be bothered having anything I couldnt grab and go with

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@DJC3 and @maglil55 I had two disastrous experiences with Tramadol - i hallucinated and time sort of folded in on itself both times. The first time I was in hospital and I was convinced I could see dead people who weren't there. The second time I was at home and luckily a neighbour stopped by for a mid morning cup of coffee and she was so worried about the way I was behaving that she ended up staying with me until Mr C came home at 10.30pm. I'm on a much lower dose this time.

Big shock this morning... we were having breakfast and the was a really loud bang - like a shot being fired. It turned out to be the glass in our front door - our next door neighbour was mowing her front lawn and the mower flicked up a stone which hit our front door like a bullet. Made us all jump!

High FBG this morning - probably due to a fairly awful night with painful knees

Today's planned menu

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers (Mr C had mackerel on toast)

Lunch: probably not - although there is plenty of different cheeses if I need something

Dinner: quorn fillets (tastes like chicken) roast parsnips and carrots, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli - Mr C will have roast chicken instead of the quorn and will also have sage and onion stuff and probably a couple of his favourite Aunt Bessies carvery yorkshire puddings.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bacon, egg and black pudding at 12.30 today after 4 mugs of tea. The green tea I thought I had turned out to be green tea and cranberry teabags! I did make a pot of tea with it, but wasn't keen. I really thought I had green tea leaves. I seem to have a whole tea drawer (a drawer in one of my kitchen units dedicated to tea) of lots of different kinds of tea bags, which I have obviously either been given or tried for myself but no loose tea at all. For ordinary day to day tea, I don't mind bags, but for a halfway decent cup I prefer leaf tea with no milk. Must get some more of the right stuff, if I can.

Neil informed me this morning that he thinks he is getting over the same virus I have had, whatever that was. I feel so selfish because he managed to hide it from me and was putting up with it while I was mooning around feeling sorry for myself.

Because MS V managed to go to the butcher and came back with lots of meat, I am currently slow roasting brisket and some beef ribs. The brisket with some orange peel and the ribs with garlic. I'll leave them in the oven for about 4 hours, I think. The plan for tonight's meal is a sausage casserole. I was very hungry last night so had an extra couple of sausages. That leaves 4 in the pack - probably too much for one meal along with lots of veg. But I may just have the rest for breakfast tomorrow.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook hug for the front door and tramadol experience. Julie takes tramadol for her back which isn't exactly being helped by the present bed rest. Sleeping well and long is a clear sign whatever she has is poleaxing her. I think the recovery stage will be hardest for her (and me) @maglil55 - as I often say to her I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 3 x 700 mls ; Dockey: CWC: L: 2 h/b eggs and avocado salad with grated cheese and seeds for loosening; Aft: Tea or water; Evening Meal will be: Reheated Ox cheek stew/casserole/melange; cabbage; read the microwave combi oven manual. Just hit Jet Start button enough times - 30 secs @ 900 each time. Other functions require a degree in biomechanical engineering or reading of runes ; Vit C powder drink. I might be tempted to snack if there was anything I liked enough to snack on. Given 2.5 more months I may even be eating Montezumas - highly unlikely but never say never. Hope everyone stays well and socially distanced.
4.4 2 hrs after lunch =- if there was anything I wanted to eat now might be a good time:arghh:

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Headless Heather - that made me laugh.
Poor Heather! Only her bottom left now. Whoops.
@DJC3 and @maglil55 I had two disastrous experiences with Tramadol - i hallucinated and time sort of folded in on itself both times. The first time I was in hospital and I was convinced I could see dead people who weren't there. The second time I was at home and luckily a neighbour stopped by for a mid morning cup of coffee and she was so worried about the way I was behaving that she ended up staying with me until Mr C came home at 10.30pm. I'm on a much lower dose this time.

Big shock this morning... we were having breakfast and the was a really loud bang - like a shot being fired. It turned out to be the glass in our front door - our next door neighbour was mowing her front lawn and the mower flicked up a stone which hit our front door like a bullet. Made us all jump!

High FBG this morning - probably due to a fairly awful night with painful knees

Today's planned menu

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers (Mr C had mackerel on toast)

Lunch: probably not - although there is plenty of different cheeses if I need something

Dinner: quorn fillets (tastes like chicken) roast parsnips and carrots, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli - Mr C will have roast chicken instead of the quorn and will also have sage and onion stuff and probably a couple of his favourite Aunt Bessies carvery yorkshire puddings.
Crikey that stone must have been flicked up at the speed of a bullet. What a relief no one was in the way.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook hug for the front door and tramadol experience. Julie takes tramadol for her back which isn't exactly being helped by the present bed rest. Sleeping well and long is a clear sign whatever she has is poleaxing her. I think the recovery stage will be hardest for her (and me) @maglil55 - as I often say to her I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 3 x 700 mls ; Dockey: CWC: L: 2 h/b eggs and avocado salad with grated cheese and seeds for loosening; Aft: Tea or water; Evening Meal will be: Reheated Ox cheek stew/casserole/melange; cabbage; read the microwave combi oven manual. Just hit Jet Start button enough times - 30 secs @ 900 each time. Other functions require a degree in biomechanical engineering or reading of runes ; Vit C powder drink. I might be tempted to snack if there was anything I liked enough to snack on. Given 2.5 more months I may even be eating Montezumas - highly unlikely but never say never. Hope everyone stays well and socially distanced.
4.4 2 hrs after lunch =- if there was anything I wanted to eat now might be a good time:arghh:

The hug is for Julie but I'll let you share it. :):)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Poor Heather! Only her bottom left now. Whoops.

Crikey that stone must have been flicked up at the speed of a bullet. What a relief no one was in the way.

I hadn't thought of that, we were just glad it didn't hit the car (only bought brand new in December) which was parked in the drive about 4ft away. Poor neighbour, she's totally mortified but luckily its covered by her insurance.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you @Chook How is Mr C dealing with lockdown in such clement weather?

He's gardening like a maniac today. I'm not sure I'll be able to cope with four weeks of this. The dogs are shattered - if he's out in the garden they are totally OCD about following him everywhere. :hilarious:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 So only Heather's haunches remain?? Bed 5.9 FBG 5.3. Legs were a bit better last night following shower but I was up just after 6am to get paracetamol. Managed to get back to sleep though. Gums are still a bit irritated but not as bad as they were. At least I felt improved enough today to do a bit more deep cleaning in the kitchen. I gave the washing machine a good clean yesterday but when I went to use it today nothing would work. Fortunately, after much raking around youtube, I discovered I'd accidentally turned on the child lock! That could have been embarrassing if it was possible to get an engineer out. Took all of 3 seconds to fix!
@DCUKMod - I mentioned to OH about the LIDL air fryer just as a "I'll probably buy that one when current Tefal one breaks down". That prompted him to look at it and now he keeps looking at it but has now progressed to "we really should buy it". "It's in a week tomorrow". "You could go for you shopping early on the Monday and buy one". I fear he is developing an obsession with it. I did point out the current air fryer works but was told - " This one does so much more. You could make your own veggie crisps in the dehydrator". Eventually discovered the attraction is the rotisserie as all the deli counters are closed. He's going to buy it for me. Would I be wrong to refuse?
B. TAG and I followed @Annb in having slice of black pudding, 2 rashers back bacon, fried egg and 4 cherry tomatoes.
L. Just a lot of water. Sweating a bit but hopefully this is my body getting rid of the last of this bug.
D. Will be rib eye steak, mushrooms, green beans and celeriac fries. Hubby is making real chips for himself again. May have a bit of DGF something afterwards. Will certainly have a campari and soda.

It's all kicked off a bit here. Ms Sturgeon's CMO got caught going with her family and the dog to their holiday cottage. Kicked off in the media and online and it seems she's now admitted they were there last weekend too (bit daft I thought). Not surprisingly joe public is calling for her head for not following her own advice.