Anyone else self funding a Dexcom G6 in the UK?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 51 while living in Singapore and almost immediately started on MDI. HbAc1 on diagnosis was 13.7% (126 mmol/mol) initially down to 7.0-7.5% (53-59) but with lots of hypos, spent next 10 years around 8.0-9.0% (64-75) during a too active crisis management career. Returned to UK end of 2017 and decided time to get serious on BG control. So after discussion with endo switched to Tresiba with some trepidation, but now managed to significantly reduce dose. Still using Novorapid for bolus.

But by far biggest game changer was self funding from last August the latest Dexcom CGM - the G6 - reliable, easy to insert, pushes data to iPhone, good analytic software, very proactive support and doesn't need constant calibration. Cost as of now just under £2,000 p.a.

This has given me massive new insights into the impact of food, exercise, stress, etc on my insulin intake. While I know response is very individual and quite controversial for Type 1, I have aimed for a low carb approach but did fall off the wagon over December-January. Even so reduced my HbAc1 from 8.2% (66) to 7.0% (53) from July to October and latest to 6.8% (51) in mid March (after carby winter!). Now almost zero carb to lower inflammation/infection risk (I do inject bolus for protein) - G6 is predicting HbAc1 down to 5.2% (33) with almost no hypos if I can maintain current food/exercise discipline. No way could I have achieved this even on 10+ daily finger pricks. I am still hypo aware, so for now would not qualify for a NHS funded Libre.

Would love to hear others' experiences.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@oldgreymare . Hi. I also self fund the Dexcom. Initially started with the G4 a few years back. It definitely makes control far easier. At first you have to understand the information it gives you, the time delay. Have often made a correction dose to avoid going out of range only for the arrow to level off 5 mins later:banghead:.
Obviously I’m now using the G6 which in some respects is better but I do miss the G4.
G6. No calibration, very accurate but only 10 day lifespan and 3 month transmitter life.
G4 . 2x daily calibration, accurate, ability to reboot and 12 month + transmitter life.
I don’t do low carb but nonetheless the Dexcom makes dosing a doodle most of the time. Alarms can be a bit annoying, especially during the night. If my sugars are hovering around the mark where I’ve set my parameters then it gets a tad annoying to have the “ occasional “ alarm go off.
I don’t like having a sensor on constantly, I usually do a sensor session and then go without for a few days or a week. I find this keeps me more aware of what my body tells me about my sugars. Dexcom, I feel can make you lose that “ gut feeling “ of where you’re at.
On the whole the Dexcom is brilliant. If only I could reboot the darn thing just a few more days I’d be over the moon.:)

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@oldgreymare . Hi. I also self fund the Dexcom. Initially started with the G4 a few years back. It definitely makes control far easier. At first you have to understand the information it gives you, the time delay. Have often made a correction dose to avoid going out of range only for the arrow to level off 5 mins later:banghead:.
Obviously I’m now using the G6 which in some respects is better but I do miss the G4.
G6. No calibration, very accurate but only 10 day lifespan and 3 month transmitter life.
G4 . 2x daily calibration, accurate, ability to reboot and 12 month + transmitter life.
I don’t do low carb but nonetheless the Dexcom makes dosing a doodle most of the time. Alarms can be a bit annoying, especially during the night. If my sugars are hovering around the mark where I’ve set my parameters then it gets a tad annoying to have the “ occasional “ alarm go off.
I don’t like having a sensor on constantly, I usually do a sensor session and then go without for a few days or a week. I find this keeps me more aware of what my body tells me about my sugars. Dexcom, I feel can make you lose that “ gut feeling “ of where you’re at.
On the whole the Dexcom is brilliant. If only I could reboot the darn thing just a few more days I’d be over the moon.:)
I've read a few books recently that explain the NHS/NICE history of CGMs - sadly UK was an early adopter but not enough immediate successes, so now CGMs mostly written off in UK (almost easier to qualify for a pump - and how does anyone fine tune a pump without a CGM??). Will post title of USA book that completely liberated my approach to insulin dosing (beyond the obvious bible Dr Bernstein). Agreed about how annoying the alarms cam be - but urgent low alarm reassuring.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've read a few books recently that explain the NHS/NICE history of CGMs - sadly UK was an early adopter but not enough immediate successes, so now CGMs mostly written off in UK (almost easier to qualify for a pump - and how does anyone fine tune a pump without a CGM??). Will post title of USA book that completely liberated my approach to insulin dosing (beyond the obvious bible Dr Bernstein). Agreed about how annoying the alarms cam be - but urgent low alarm reassuring.
Check out "Sugar Surfing" by Stephen W. Ponder on Kindle.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So do I. Very sad that NHS/NICE decided to retract support from CGMs quite a few years ago. Wrong.

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi - my DSN wouldn’t fund the libre so I self fund the G6 and personally I wouldn’t do without it now, it’s pretty accurate unless bg levels are moving at a rapid pace but that’s the joy of CGM, but it’s helped me drop my HbA1c to low 40’s along with a pump and I’m over the moon with that.

Reactions: oldgreymare

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’m currently self funding g6 but have only done so for a few months..

I have now been told I qualify for the Libre and am being put on a 6 month trial if I show an improvement in control in that 6 months I will have it on my repeat prescription permanently

I will run the Libre with a Bluetooth adapter so it work like the dexcom except not quite as accurate. But for a saving of £159 a month I can tolerate a slight drop in accuracy

Reactions: Jack06 and therower

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I began self funding Dexcoms about 6 years ago after some very frightening overnight hypos.
It was such an obvious game changer that I felt sure that it would soon be available on the NHS.. hmm.
With the G4 it was easier to stretch out the life of a sensor & the transmitters would last a year or more.
The G6 is great but the latest transmitters have restricted sensor life.
I now have a t:slim X2 pump which uses the G6 as part of it's Basal IQ algorithm, so at least I feel I'm getting more "value" from each sensor.