Newly diagnosed with Prediabetes

Kazar

Hi....would like to introduce, my user name is Kazar, I am 57 and am a keen runner and swimmer. I have just been diagnosed with prediabetes.
I am hoping to find information concerning diet and snacks regarding my sport and my diagnosis. Welcome to any advice . Thank you.
IMG-20200118-WA0003.jpg

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088

The link above is a good place to start. The good news is that being prediabetic is is quite possible that a smaller reduction in the carbs you eat will reduce your levels to normal quite quickly.

I'm a fan of getting all the information you can so I would suggest getting a meter and testing so that you can confirm for yourself the foods that increase your blood sugar levels. The earlier you get the information the quicker you can reduce your levels.

Read around this site- it is amazing and full of useful information and helpful people.

Good luck.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya and welcome :)
I'm still quite new to everything myself but my main concern at the beginning was learning how it would affect exercise. I've compiled resources together, from other communities to articles to books:
https://kyeorugitiger.wordpress.com/resources/
I recommend the book Your Diabetes Science Experiment for a more sport specific focus and I am just now starting to read The Athlete's guide to diabetes as well.

Hope these help a bit ^.^

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Kazar, I suggest that you watch some of the YouTube videos of Prof Tim Noakes (who was the medical/nutrition expert for South Africa's long distance athletes). He was extremely pro Carb-loading until he got diagnosed with T2D soon after he read a book about Atkins diet - read it intending to tear it to pieces.
He found it made sense and adopted Low Carb Way Of Eating, he reversed his T2D, lost weight and still runs S. Africa's longest race (90Km) in his 70's.

Reactions: VashtiB

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prof Tim Noakes increased his endurance and times. Look him up.

Baajh

Hi....would like to introduce, my user name is Kazar, I am 57 and am a keen runner and swimmer. I have just been diagnosed with prediabetes.
I am hoping to find information concerning diet and snacks regarding my sport and my diagnosis. Welcome to any advice . Thank you. View attachment 40013
I am hoping to find information concerning diet and snacks regarding my sport and my diagnosis. Welcome to any advice . Thank you. View attachment 40013

hi I’m new to this site and in the same situation as you. In my 50s very fit and now pre diabetic. No help from gp Have you got to grips with anything and can offer some advice