Cheat Day

Laconic

Had a couple of cheat days in the last few weeks, 6 cans of beer packet of crisps and large Dairy Milk tested sugar in morning 10.1 has now gone down, to normal range. How will this affect overall HBA1C.
I’m only human, at the end of the day

Lilylala

Would not of thought 1 or 2 treats would make any long term effect on your HBA1C as it's a average of 3 months reading , if the rest of the time you are at normal range.If you want a treat have one , but restricted .Don't throw all your hard work down the toilet by treating more than once a week , that's what I say to myself.If I want chocolate cake I will eat chocolate cake and I won't let anyone tell me I can't or get on their high horse and preach about it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I don't call them cheat days just life. Of course it can be very easy to slip more of those things you've been avoiding into your normal diet so personally, I keep an eye on it. A bag of crisps is my go to. x

Reactions: Robbity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest in the present situation regarding the pandemic and the availability of foods for me every day to some extent has become a cheat day when this is all over if I am still around I will go back to the way I was, if I'm not it doesn't really matter.

Laconic

I’ve decided to have a tub of Quality Street at Christmas, Christmas Day will be my next cheat day

5.3 after my evening Chicken and Broccoli so hopefully it’s not done too much harm

Last edited:
Reactions: Buzzer81

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a couple of cheat days in the last few weeks, 6 cans of beer packet of crisps and large Dairy Milk tested sugar in morning 10.1 has now gone down, to normal range. How will this affect overall HBA1C.

Wow that is low considering what you ate. I’d be in the 20s

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shouldn’t affect it too much. When I’m on holiday I tend to eat more carbs than usual and still manage to keep my hba1c within normal levels.

Reactions: KK123

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't do "cheat days" but nor do I believe that LCHF/ketogenic diets should ever be deprivation diets, so while I may occasionally have minor dietary diversions into something slightly higher carb, most of my treats tend to be low carb variations anyway - e.g. @xfieldok's suggestions.

Minor blips will have little impact on 3+ months HbA1C averages, and all of my slightly higher results have been due to non dietary issues - pain, illness, medications, stress, etc, but not to "sinful" eating.:D

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
You have to cheat a little or you go nuts!!!!!!!! I will make my self a small pizza on a Saturday afternoon and take a 1 hour walk afterwards to burn off the excess sugar in my system. The thing I just do not cheat in the evening when I do not have a chance to burn the sugar off. Secondly when I make my pizza I do from scratch so I have some control what goes in it.

Portion control is also important. if I want some pie, blueberry is my favorite, I buy a small one that is one serving. The same is for beer instead of buying a six pack I just buy 1 can. I just do not want the stuff just lying around the house.

I guess what I am saying it is alright to cheat just plan it out. I was lucky to work with a dietician who taught me a lot about diet and diabetes. One thing she also taught me how could cheat !!!!!! Enjoy !!!!! An occasional rebellion is a good thing !!!!!! Just be smart about it

Dave Bailey