Driving license eye test under lockdown

Julz13

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone is in the situation of having a driving license expiry and needing an eye test while under lockdown. I haven't found any mention by the UK of extending the license. And if there is no paperwork being processed by DVLA does this mean license will expire and we could all end up losing our license

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone is in the situation of having a driving license expiry and needing an eye test while under lockdown. I haven't found any mention by the UK of extending the license. And if there is no paperwork being processed by DVLA does this mean license will expire and we could all end up losing our license

Received a letter a month ago saying my 3 year licence has been okayed and the actual licence would follow in the next two weeks. I am yet to receive this so maybe they are running behind.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Received a letter a month ago saying my 3 year licence has been okayed and the actual licence would follow in the next two weeks. I am yet to receive this so maybe they are running behind.
I still have to have my licence renewed every three years, and on two occasions they have sent a letter like yours, only it said "up to a year" and therefore I kept the letter in my car just in case the police asked for evidence. DVLA said this would be sufficient.

Reactions: Julz13

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For some reason, I came out of the hat to have a medical before DVLA would renew my 3 year licence.

The medical was difficult to get a date for as a 20 minute appointment with your doctor is required and these, apparently are like hens teeth. That said, I managed to get one just within the 6 week deadline. This, however, became a victim of the Covid lockdown when all routing appointments at our surgery were cancelled until further notice.

DVLA's letter gave advice to get in touch with them should this happen. Getting in touch with the DVLA is not the easiest thing to do. The number on the letter to me to a line for collecting payments, whilst all of the other numbers given had a message saying call back due to the current volume of calls being received. I went back to the payment line, which was still being answered and the very nice operator put me through to the relevant department.

The upshot is, that a note has been added to the case file recording the cancellation of the medical. They confirmed that I can carry on driving after my licence renewal date and even sent an email confirming the relevant section of the road traffic act to quote if stopped.

I'd get in touch to ensure that your licence isn't automatically revoked due to this as it may happen automatically if no confirmation of eye test is received.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine expires in July, and has to be renewed annually on passing a medical - I’m wondering what the plan is for that. Not enough to actually contact DVLA, because I’m a championship procrastinator, but I figured they’d put some information on their website before I need to worry :cat:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
In general if you have completed the paperwork and returned it.. you can continue to drive on an expired licence for up to 12months whilst they perform their medical investigations... so even if you need a test but can’t get one there is no desperate rush so long as the delay are aware