What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I do wonder if the sore throat, inability to inflate my lungs fully and dry cough I had a week or two ago might have been a very mild bout of coronavirus - it lasted about a week then faded away. As I'm not sure it is definitely best to assume that it wasn't.

So far today (right now its only 11.45) Mr C has walked the dogs (at 5am in the rain!), turned over a lot of the veg patch in a failed attempt to find the remains of last years Jerusalem Artichokes (which means he's scattered them and they'll come back up everywhere), divided and replanted the raspberries, had a work conference call, and has started on sorting out the garage. Oh, and, of course, he's been to the bakers so he could get his breakfast while it was still warm.

Today's menu

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (lemon and elderflower flavour) - Mr C had two warm eccles cakes

Lunch: Actimel and cheese

Dinner: low carb bubble and squeak (celeriac, swede, Brussels sprouts and leftover veg from yesterday's roast), pickles and Linda McCartney burgers - Mr C will have cold roast chicken and chutney with his B&S
I used to grow Jerusalem artichokes but for some reason lost my crop. I used to pickle them. How do you use them.

You never know if you did have it or not but glad you are feeling better though.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I used to grow Jerusalem artichokes but for some reason lost my crop. I used to pickle them. How do you use them.

You never know if you did have it or not but glad you are feeling better though.

i normally steam or roast them or occasionally make soup. I've never heard of pickling them. Do you have a recipe for it?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got a letter pushed through the letterbox from the Police saying we had breached coronavirus restrictions.... there was a few minutes of total panic until I phoned them and found out it was delivered here in error - should have been put through the letterbox of someone who lives in a house with a very similar address. Phew! Bit worried now that if we ever should need them that they would go to the wrong address.
Did you think Mr Chook had escaped and was spotted?

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oooer. I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it.

One thing I really like is being able to see the food as it is cooking (the light can be switched on/off etc), although when I was drying some chillies, way back, we laughed as they started flying around the cavity, when they got dry.
Now that's sold me on it. Flying Chillies.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr Bean does cooking day 7 or 8 - lost count really. Breakfast: Sweetened TWAM - 3 x 700 mls ; Dockey: CWC: L: h/b egg and avocado salad and grated cheddar; Chocologic Belgian choc; Aft: Tea; Meal: Duck (cook in bag; press temp, minute minder, ok and chillax , take out of bag, up the temp to crisp , reset then leave to stand) - what has the duck done to need to relax?; broccoli, cabbage and gravy - veggies = complicated as you need to wash, chop,steam and watch somewhat; then make gravy using fat/juices from the duck - blow that for a game of soldiers; Vit C powder drink. @maglil55 by the time that fridge needs replacing newer models will make that one look prehistoric.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today’s food was thin cut slice from brown FS bloomer toasted. Lunch was meant to be soup but by the time I got the Click & Collect fortnightly shop back SAFELY and unpacked item by item antibac wiping each and into the hall, handwashing as I went through it all (Mr PM opened up the route from front door to hand washing) I was utterly spent so lunch was two tiny Helmsley seeded rolls buttered and two mugs of tea.
Supper tonight is breaded mini fillets for Mr PM with chips and fishfingers and brocolli for me.

@Chook and @Annb glad to hear you are better, @maglil good to hear you are a little better. Hope you can all take things slow and easy.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We (Neil, DIL and myself) think that what we have had may be covid19, but we are aware that it may not. So we assume it was something else and go on as before.

Due to his long term bad health, Neil has been unable to be employed for the last 20+ years and has been on some sort of benefit for much of that time. Now we find that the benefit that is paid via a Post Office account can't be accessed because he is being shielded. There is, apparently, a form that he could submit to get a second card issued so that I can draw cash for him (only being "vulnerable" and not "shielded") but our local Post Office doesn't have them and they can only be had from the main Post Office in Stornoway. There's no way I can get there.

I did ask if there is some other arrangement in place for people in the same position as Neil, but there isn't. Not too bad for us, I have my pension and we can live off of that - as long as no big bills come in, but there must be others who are in a less fortunate position. I worry for them. For us, it just means that Neil will have to rein in his spending for a while (he just bought an ex-showroom, huge electric mower, so must be about cleaned out) but he'll just have to look at things online for a while. Part of this is because of his insistance on security (it's an Asperger thing) so he won't use online banking, which means he can't access his bank account proper and can't transfer his benefits into that account. Maybe No 2 son can help once he is back in circulation

Turns out that Neil only had to press a few buttons to reset the answerphone. Simple! Buttons on electronic equipment are my downfall. Can never remember how to use them. That's why I'm so hopeless with my mobile phone.

Ann, I wonder if the form you, or Neil, needs is online to download and print? Many, many are.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Another day of stress consumption!

Morning saw rather too much 95% chocolate mixed with cream. Lunch was 2 fried eggs, some streaky bacon and grated cheese. Dinner was slow cooked lamb breast followed by a lc hot chocolate. Perhaps one of those high tech fridges could come with the ability to programme how often it can be opened!

Editing to add the forgotten about 3 (small) packs of cheesies :D

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of day written off trying to make decisions about how best to help 89 year old mum who had a fall last night. She isn’t badly injured she damaged her foot - sounds like a soft tissue injury/small bone when she fell over on her foot. She didn’t ring her falls service as she didn’t want to be carted off in an ambulance - I told her that would have been unlikely in current situation! We’ve decided to wait and see how it goes and are hoping she rests and improves. If not, a 120 mile emergency trip up north will be needed to take care of her - we’d have to pick her up and shelter her at ours. If she needs care our view is that we would be a safer option but who knows? She’s managing drinks etc today so feel wait and see is most sensible just now. In normal times we would be in Yorkshire already! Difficult times make fairly minor injuries like this much more complex. Will review tomorrow. Rang Age UK who were very helpful and are also going to talk to her.
Snacky food today whilst stressing including
2 Lc hm granola bars
1 Lc cheese scone
Halloumi fries and pork
2 boiled eggs
1 Hc chocolate- from an Easter treat pack, raided a bit early! Felt needed treats today....... we can only do our best

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of day written off trying to make decisions about how best to help 89 year old mum who had a fall last night. She isn’t badly injured she damaged her foot - sounds like a soft tissue injury/small bone when she fell over on her foot. She didn’t ring her falls service as she didn’t want to be carted off in an ambulance - I told her that would have been unlikely in current situation! We’ve decided to wait and see how it goes and are hoping she rests and improves. If not, a 120 mile emergency trip up north will be needed to take care of her - we’d have to pick her up and shelter her at ours. If she needs care our view is that we would be a safer option but who knows? She’s managing drinks etc today so feel wait and see is most sensible just now. In normal times we would be in Yorkshire already! Difficult times make fairly minor injuries like this much more complex. Will review tomorrow. Rang Age UK who were very helpful and are also going to talk to her.
Snacky food today whilst stressing including
2 Lc hm granola bars
1 Lc cheese scone
Halloumi fries and pork
2 boiled eggs
1 Hc chocolate- from an Easter treat pack, raided a bit early! Felt needed treats today....... we can only do our best
Sorry to hear about your mum and the added stress. Definitely a day for treats but very restrained. Well done on that.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann, I wonder if the form you, or Neil, needs is online to download and print? Many, many are.

Apparently not. I couldn't find it, if there is, nor could Neil and he is much better at finding things than I am. His brother will go in to the town PO for us.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook - I recall you having some discussion about garden plants this summer?

I'e just had an email from Nextdoor, in which someone linked to one of our local garden centres, who are doing free home delivery for orders over £30. The range is limited and is mainly bedding, plugs and hanging baskets, but not unreasonably priced.

I guess they're trying to salvage what they can from their hard work in recent months.

That particular garden centre is owned by Dobbies these days, so maybe other Dobbies location could be doing something similar?

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook - I recall you having some discussion about garden plants this summer?

I'e just had an email from Nextdoor, in which someone linked to one of our local garden centres, who are doing free home delivery for orders over £30. The range is limited and is mainly bedding, plugs and hanging baskets, but not unreasonably priced.

I guess they're trying to salvage what they can from their hard work in recent months.

That particular garden centre is owned by Dobbies these days, so maybe other Dobbies location could be doing something similar?

Thanks for thinking of me but I'm surrounded by a sea of miniature plug plants (I didn't know something so small could be called a plant). I rather over did it on eBay. :meh:. My beloved Brigg Garden Centre is closed for the duration - i don't know where I'm going to get my usual black Russian cherry tomato plants.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for thinking of me but I'm surrounded by a sea of miniature plug plants (I didn't know something so small could be called a plant). I rather over did it on eBay. :meh:. My beloved Brigg Garden Centre is closed for the duration - i don't know where I'm going to get my usual black Russian cherry tomato plants.

Just to say i know there are much much worse things to worry about nowadays and my heart goes out to all those suffering with this horrible disease and their loved ones. And especially to @ianpspurs and Julie and to @shelley262 and her lovely Mum.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with raspberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar
Late Lunch: one left over sausage followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Chicken stir fry, no noodles in my portion just bean sprouts to kid the eye! Followed by SF jelly, cream and berry and almond paleo granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.
Lunch: Cold snags in a low carb wrap.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary, water.

Just put a online order in for the stuff we could not get last week, no delivery windows till Monday coming in the arvo.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
06-04-2020
Breakfast 6.45am CWC.
Made nut granola, without sunflower seeds. Somehow misjudged the amount of oil needed, so added three heaped tablespoons of oats to absorb some of it. Must remember it's now low carb, not no carb
7.30ish portion nut granola, splash of milk.
8.30ish 2 eggs scrambled with butter. CWC
Mid morning CWC
Lunch. Leftover dinner (bacon, peppers, mushrooms in carbonara sauce from lidl. 4.5g carbs per 100g) with cauli rice. Added chopped mushroom stalks to the cauli rice.
Tea and water to drink.
Dinner. Chicken breast, cabbage, carrots, roasted celariac for me, oven chips for him, did snaffle a few. Chunk of petit
Brie, surprisingly different to the larger version. Several glasses of wine for stress relief. Followed by several chunks of chocolate for the same purpose. Will soon be out of chocolate altogether. One of MrSlims biscuits with my bedtime tea.
Building etc. has picked up pace now. MrSlim has spent three days finishing the new dormer window, refurbishing the original as well. Putting up the neccessary scaffold is slow and hair raising. We discovered one supporting pole had bent when the scaffold collapsed in the gales, so it wasn't quite as stable as usual. We had to move the whole edifice three times,
but now both windows are waterproof and looking good. The ridge repair is more complicated and he cannot get the materials needed to do it properly - so temporary measure - hook the roof ladder over the loose bit to hold it in place and stop it flapping/falling next time there is a gale.
My new veg bed is completed. Last metre was very stony and really hard work digging. Good thing I started the other end. Have already planted some parsley there. Plan is to have wigwams of beans as well.
Repotted some baby tomato plants and mange tout. Did an hour on the chop saw so firewood supply looking healthier now. Cut the long parts of the grass. Raked up the cuttings. So many it looked like a hayfield.
Tomorrow more training for me. Need to learn to operate the log splitter and how to fuel the mower. Apparently its not a simple operation. If weather is kind will be bbq.
MrSlim has not been out for three weeks. I went shopping three days ago. Got gas and compost. Am planning to ride my bike to the village shop sometime soon. Fresh bread for mrslim. Also building up goodwill. We used to eat at their restaraunt, but ofc that is closed now.