Supermarket vulnerable

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
of course, if anyone is unhappy with the possibility of data sharing beyond their personal comfort zone, then they should immediately cancel any delivery slots they have booked, contact the supermarket in question, and request (in writing) that their data be erased from the system.

That would only work for me if I had actually booked a delivery slot.
Oh and if I knew where my data had been sent. Multiple retailers?

D

Deleted member 308541

In Australia both of the two major online retailers are checking the various pension card numbers so you can get priority slots for grocery deliveries.

I consent to Woolworths collecting the information provided on this form

I also consent using it for the purpose of verifying the accuracy of this information, including by validating this information with a third party or Government agency if required. All information provided will be treated in accordance with our Collection Notice and Privacy Policy.

If you do not agree you will not get priority shopping slots, simple as that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would only work for me if I had actually booked a delivery slot.
Oh and if I knew where my data had been sent. Multiple retailers?
Of course it would work for you.

Received a letter/email/text that makes you suspicious?

Then contact the supermarket(s) directly to query it. You can ring them all, one after the other.
Ring their helpline or access the Contact Us section of their website.
Ask why/how you were contacted, and what data about you is being held on their systems.
Once you have done that, if what they tell you still makes you uncomfortable, then take the necessary steps to have that data removed.

Of course, if the contact you received turns out to be a scam, then the solution is even quicker and easier.
Simply block that sender, using the block facility on your phone, tablet or email provider's software. (it takes me about 3 secs to do this on any of my devices). https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/securing-your-devices

Also report the scam immediately. I understand that the UK government has actually set up dedicated task forces to deal with fraud during the coronavirus crisis

These steps will resolve the issue, but they take a little more effort than speculation and rumour on an internet forum.

Here is some more information about coronavirus scams
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/03/coronavirus-scams-how-to-spot-them-and-stop-them/
and here is a link to report them in the UK
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

The reason I am finding the 'conspiracy thinking' on this thread so problematic, is that I have had numerous encounters with government agencies and data. DVLA, IR, GOV.UK website, both personally (tax return) and professionally. I can say with certainty that their security and data protection measures are the strongest that I have encountered, with complicated assigned passwords, pin verification with time limited log on access, only after confirmation via email or text using only contact details that were previously verified. The fines that are imposed for data breaches are serious, and any organisation found to breach are held accountable to the tune of many thousands of £££.

@DCUKMod has also posted a link earlier in the thread suggesting that people read the specific, restricted time criteria of any government data sharing. I will post it again for those who haven't already read it:
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/data-sharing-during-this-public-health-emergency

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, please don't worry I've signed onto Sainsbury's separately and it's been confirmed I'm a vulnerable customer, it's all legitimate and the delivery is coming Thursday.

All the press releases have confirmed that the data is being sent to supermarkets via the government, so if you're receiving the same email from Sainsbury's, it won't be scam.

I had to sign onto the standard Sainsburys website separately to book the slot. I think it'll be the diabulimia, as this makes mine a complex type 1 case.

Hope all are well.

Hi,

It's great you varyfied the legitimacy of the email & you're getting priority support.

Stay safe.

Reactions: mooshk

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I think it is a matter of consent. Why should data be shared in this way automatically, leaving a person in a position where they have to then go through a series of actions to resolve it if they don't agree. I fully understand that the Supermarkets are genuinely trying to help the most vulnerable but surely an email from the govt to the customer ASKING them to tick a box in order for any medical data to be shared with whoever would be better.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe what the supermarket does is look for a name on a list of those deemed vulnerable. The list wouldn't have to specify what that vulnerability was.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m thinking that the govt. won’t be passing on medical details or other personal data, I think that they will just be telling the shops who is vulnerable not why. I’ve been wondering why I have been given priority and I wonder if it’s because I receive an NHS pension, although I took early retirement, so I don’t actually meet the age criteria for priority slots. Who knows, but I will not abuse the privilege.

Reactions: Brunneria and zand

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
I'm currently self isolating and am at higher risk of infection due to diabulimia. It's really beneficial to have the availability of this for myself and others.

I'm also slightly confused as to why people are freaking out about the government having our data. Unfortunately, this is the era we live in as in wiki leaks/Facebook etc. At least now it's being used in a beneficial way.

Again, sorry for kicking this all off.

Reactions: kev-w

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having stopped having a moment of panic, and unwittingly added to any notions of corrupt use of data, I am sorry, @mooshk and anyone else who is feeling dismayed by reaction to data sharing.

Brunneria’s post https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/supermarket-vulnerable.173385/page-2#post-2245087 is reassuring, in that it explained how the data is accessed, and is secure as it can possibly be.

My own concerns were not really relevant to this thread, so won’t continue to derail.

On reflection, Sainsbury are to be applauded for recognising a flaw in the method of offering dedicated shopping hours to vulnerable customers. Many of these are in the shielding category, like myself, who are to stay at home, at all times, for at least 12 weeks, therefore not able to access the dedicated times in store. I have heard from other people that other supermarkets are not yet offering this service, and that must make people shielding, and their loved ones, frantic with worry.

There is nobody, anywhere who won’t be affected at all by the current pandemic.some so very much more than others. To have the ‘sacrifice’ of having personal data available to others without permission, is minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

I hope @mooshk , and anyone else needing to make use of the vulnerable persons concessions, is able to get the delivery needed, and thank anyone who like @Rachox has been offered the concession, but feels that it is not needed, for leaving the access to delivery slots for those in greater need.

Reactions: mooshk

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently self isolating and am at higher risk of infection due to diabulimia. It's really beneficial to have the availability of this for myself and others.

I'm also slightly confused as to why people are freaking out about the government having our data. Unfortunately, this is the era we live in as in wiki leaks/Facebook etc. At least now it's being used in a beneficial way.

If it maintains your access to the foods you need then it can only be a good thing. :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Gosh, don't apologise! We love posts like this, it opens up a whole new load of questions & healthy debate and opinions. x

Reactions: mooshk and Antje77

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been well impressed with Sainsbury’s since being placed on their vulnerable list. I’m seeing booking slots for home delivery sometimes for the next day or just a few days forward. This makes me feel more relaxed because they’ve delivered all I’ve asked for whenever I need it. Very friendly lads and lasses too out driving their vans.

I am a only two years short of 70 but around 3 weeks ago when I got my first delivery (booked a fortnight before) the lad who brought it asked if I was over 70yo. I told his I wasn't but was type 1 diabetic. I think perhaps he had their system updated because a few days later I'd an email saying I'd been placed on the vulnerable list of customers and would see additional slots.

I’m reading on some local online forums that folks can’t get a home delivery slot for almost three weeks as they are showing as fully booked on the Sainsbury’s website. I’m therefore very grateful they’ve been able to help me and no doubt others in the same situation.

Bill

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You have ABSOLUTELY nothing to apologise for!
Discussions like this are the lifeblood of the forum :D