Type 1 Insulin pens recommendations

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I have been using an insulin pump for 6 years , I have been advised that I need to replace my insulin pens as mine are very old at least 10 years , I use nova rapid although very small amounts , I have no idea what pens are available, I prefer pens that are not prefilled as there is a possibility that they will expired and will be thrown away . I used to use Levermir as long acting insulin . I am a very long distance from my diabetic team but my local GP will happily prescribe pens if I tell her which ones , I used to use pen with 1/2 units and was also metal although a bit boring but did what was needed , have pens changed ? And what could anybody recommend and why they like the pens they have ,TIA Nicky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have the Echo pen, in half units, it does the job and the 1/2 unit is so beneficial to me, as I normally only have 1/2 unit with breakfast, I use NovoRapid. My Tresiba comes in disposable pens.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I use Novo refillable pens. Their current range includes Echo, Pen 4 and Pen 5. I have the Echo which does 1/2 units. I think the 4 does not do 1/2 units and the 5 does have a last dose read-out but also no 1/2 units.

Reactions: alohanicky2009

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Both really helpful , I had my app with DSN who told me my pens only have a life of 5 yrs max and I need to replace the old ones in case pump fails etc but she didn’t know what pens to recommend but to see my gp who will prescribe new ones . ARGHHHHH ! but as a person she is lovely

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both really helpful , I had my app with DSN who told me my pens only have a life of 5 yrs max and I need to replace the old ones in case pump fails etc but she didn’t know what pens to recommend but to see my gp who will prescribe new ones . ARGHHHHH ! but as a person she is lovely
Worth saying that my pens seem to have lasted more than 5 years with one occasionally mis-behaving with the ratchet. They only do two colours now Blue and Grey.