Teenager

beckyboo12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm a mum of a 16 yr old with Type1 and a husband who is 77& has problem with his breathing so you can guess the problem I do the shopping but I'm worried about getting the virus because last time my son just had a bit of a cold he was really bad with ketones we couldn't control his readings I do everything the gov said to do. It's a nightmare trying to do online shopping neither of them have had a letter I suppose I'm just having a rant because it stressed me out last time which was about 2 years ago it was worsed since he was diagnosed 9 yrs away

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @beckyboo12

I can appreciate how stressed this is making you feel, I have to admit I am trying my best to avoid supermarkets and if I do have to go to take great care in ensuring I clean my hands carefully afterwards and avoid aisles with too many people. I am using local companies for home deliveries though as I can pay online and they will leave on my doorstep, if you have farm shops locally try these instead as these may deliver ? Or check to see if there’s any local support groups offering to do home deliveries from local shops ?

MollieB

Hi I'm a mum of a 16 yr old with Type1 and a husband who is 77& has problem with his breathing so you can guess the problem I do the shopping but I'm worried about getting the virus because last time my son just had a bit of a cold he was really bad with ketones we couldn't control his readings I do everything the gov said to do. It's a nightmare trying to do online shopping neither of them have had a letter I suppose I'm just having a rant because it stressed me out last time which was about 2 years ago it was worsed since he was diagnosed 9 yrs away

I live in the states and don't know if what you guys may have available there. If you can get your hands on some gloves and mask, I would wear them in the store. If you can't get any masks, then some homemade ones may help at least somewhat.
Yang Wang, an assistant professor of environmental engineering at Missouri University of Science and Technology, worked with his graduate students to study various combinations of layered materials. What they found is:
A 600 thread count pillow case captured just 22 percent of particles when doubled, but four layers captured nearly 60 percent. A thick woolen yarn scarf filtered 21 percent of particles in two layers, and 48.8 percent in four layers. A 100 percent cotton bandanna did the worst, capturing only 18.2 percent when doubled, and just 19.5 percent in four layers.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has posted a no-sew face mask pattern using a bandanna and a coffee filter as well as a video on making masks using rubber bands and folded fabrics.

Another study done showed that using high-quality, high thread cotton count quilting fabric could make masks that are nearly as effective as surgical masks. (Study was lead by a Dr. Segal).