Waiting for freestyle libre

EquineDude

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After some advice.

beginning of March I was told I was successful in getting a freestyle libre on the NHS. I was given a prescription for the sensors and was told I would get an appointment 3rd week of March.

sensors arrived and I waited to hear about an appointment. Obviously then lockdown happened.

I want to email my diabetic nurses and ask what is happening. Or should I wait until this whole caronavirus goes away. I really want to start with the freestyle.

MarkHaZ123

Contact them. They will tell you if its fine to go in and see them

The libre was the best thing Iv done so far, it has so many advantages. Iv been using it 5 weeks now

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Um. I know that in my diabetes clinic most of the staff, nurses up to consultants, have been transferred to the nhs 'frontline'. All routine appointments, pump starts etc. are temporarily cancelled. E-mail by all means, but I wouldn't expect a quick answer. Sorry.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
sensors arrived and I waited to hear about an appointment. Obviously then lockdown happened.

When I used the libre (self funding) I just bought it and used it. There are pretty good instructions. Do you even need to see anyone to use it? Some points

1) you need a reader (maybe your phone if they haven't given you one).
2) the libre reading tends to lag behind your actual blood sugar reading by about 15 minutes.
3) they can be inaccurate, particularly for the first 24 hours (some people apply and wait 24 hours before activating).
4) I'd recommend checking the readings with your meter until you can see how accurate they are, particularly at low levels, as they can under read dramatically for some people.
5) There is an app that can be downloaded to calibrate the libre against your blood sugars, thereby making it more accurate, but you'll hopefully find it's fine as is.

It works brilliantly well for some, not at all for (a few) others, but it can still provide useful trends even if it isn't always accurate enough to dose off.

Good luck. Any questions, ask away, there are a lot of libre experts on here (not me unfortunately as I had to stop using it when I developed an allergy).

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are instructions on how to apply on You Tube. Watched them many times when I first got mine. Good luck.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yeah you don’t need to go see them... self founders don’t see anyone..

In fact for the first time I’m about to get my first ones on NHS consultant has written to GP to issue them, and not once did they say I have to see them.

All they did say is they will want an hba1c in 6 months and if it’s improved I can keep the Libre

So many videos now on application and use

PATN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After some advice.

beginning of March I was told I was successful in getting a freestyle libre on the NHS. I was given a prescription for the sensors and was told I would get an appointment 3rd week of March.

I want to email my diabetic nurses and ask what is happening. Or should I wait until this whole caronavirus goes away. I really want to start with the freestyle.
After some advice.

Hi,
I was in the same boat. My Libre training got cancelled the day before it was due. However because of COVID 19 the courses have been changed to an online one (webinar?) You are contacted and given a link to click to join a live online tutorial at a specific time. If you miss something you can then reply it again later.
The course was very helpful and seems to be run by Abbots and your health care trust. (Four people on my screen)
I think things were delayed because they had to prepare things first.
Hopefully things won’t be to long for you.

Temi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything that bores me
When I used the libre (self funding) I just bought it and used it. There are pretty good instructions. Do you even need to see anyone to use it? Some points

1) you need a reader (maybe your phone if they haven't given you one).
2) the libre reading tends to lag behind your actual blood sugar reading by about 15 minutes.
3) they can be inaccurate, particularly for the first 24 hours (some people apply and wait 24 hours before activating).
4) I'd recommend checking the readings with your meter until you can see how accurate they are, particularly at low levels, as they can under read dramatically for some people.
5) There is an app that can be downloaded to calibrate the libre against your blood sugars, thereby making it more accurate, but you'll hopefully find it's fine as is.

It works brilliantly well for some, not at all for (a few) others, but it can still provide useful trends even if it isn't always accurate enough to dose off.

Good luck. Any questions, ask away, there are a lot of libre experts on here (not me unfortunately as I had to stop using it when I developed an allergy).

Hi, can I ask what app you’re talking about in point 5? Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs