Whats the longest honeymoon period?

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Okay so l think maybe lm being far too positive but after being diagnosed in Feb lm low carbing and exercise every day and insulin down to only 5units of Levemir a day and no novorapid. Just saw my nurse and saw how excited and positive l am and gently told me this probably wont last... sob.
So l thought l ask others that have gone low carb and lots of exercise how long they have delayed their honeymoon period for? Do you think its possible for the pancreas to repair itself.. even a little bit... l would be happy to go on like this.... sob l hope!!!
Its almost a bit mean being diagnosed injecting 5x a day, then down to injecting x1 then having it all taken back.. lm just really going to do my best and do everything l can and hope that doesnt happen.
Thanks everyone. Sorry but l had to ask the question.
Jo

Hi Jo

I don't know any facts about how long the honeymoon period can last but just wanted to let you know that you won't necessarily have to start using huge amounts of insulin even if you are honeymooning at the moment :) I was diagnosed two years ago and think I probably had a little bit of a honeymoon as I also used to be able to get away with no fast-acting with low carb meals...but even now my Levemir varies between 4-7 depending on how stressed/lazy I am :wink: and I usually only use around 1-2 units for low carb meals, maybe up to 3 or 4 if I eat something particularly carby like a big bowl of fruit or if I slip off the wagon and have a carb fest :oops: luckily I'm getting the hang of not doing that now!! Oh and I'm definitely at the liberal end of low carb at the moment liking my fruit and being vegan, so I can imagine if I were stricter I would use fewer units.

Anyway all that waffle was just to reassure you that you might not have to use all that much insulin in the future! Don't worry!

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Thank you! Thats good to know.. lm just hoping l dont have to use any Novorapid at all even if l eat low carb.... maybe if my BS does go up l can eat then find some stairs and start pounding! ;0)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Having been diabetic 17 years there's no way this is a honeymoon, but since low carbing i have drastically reduced my insulin, from 28-40 u lantus and 6u novorapid with meals, to 14u lantus and no novorapid at all, take metformin with meals instead. It's simple really - less carbs, less insulin - you may need a little more background insulin in the future, only time will tell but the beauty of low carbs is that you probably won't need much long term, good luck with that

caitycakes1

Hello,

Don't despair. With low carbing it's possible to extend your honeymoon for quite a while. I have been type 1 for a year and I low carb. I'm probably still honeymooning as I only take a total of 9u of pre-mix daily, but I don't expect to be taking large amounts of insulin when the honeymoons over either. Low carb means keeping insulin doses low too!

At my last hospital check-up the consultant rather smugly told me that my excellent control was down to honeymooning and that I would find it much more difficult to control when the honeymoon was over. I was incredibly angry that he was putting the good control down to the honeymoon rather than my efforts with low carb etc. My answer to him was a very polite "we'll see".

Caitycakes x

Reactions: New2T1D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jo, ditto what the others have said.
I think Dr. Bernstein has a number of T1 patients whose 'honeymoon' has continued indefinitely provided they dropped their carb intake soon after diagnosis.
I'd been T1 for 20 years before I started low carbing, so my honeymoon was long gone, though I don't even remember having one anyway. Even so, I've been able to reduce my basal from 24 to 8 units per day, and my bolus from 50-60 to 12 units per day.
Second honeymoon? :D

Keep us posted though. It would be really useful to know if you're able to maintain such low doses and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

fergus

yipster29

Hey Jo

I've read of people supposedly 'honeymooning' indefinately but I reckon that's more to do with their low carbing!
I kind of figure my honeymoon over as when we came back from holiday my levels went mad, really high then drop quickly (DN said probably body adjusting back from different heats) and eventually ended up on double the levimir than I needed before going away... I now have 4 units instead of 2.
My Novorapid hasn't changed, I need more if I eat carbs, I need 1-2 units if I eat no carbs unless I'm exercising after the meal (even a brisk walk) when I need no units :)
Can't see with the low amounts other low-carbers need that our needs will go up much even if we are still honeymooning.
I did ask the question (hopefully!) months ago about the Pancreas and got the reply from DN it does not regenerate itself even slightly.
How'd the blood result go?????
Cath
xx

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
O thats a shame re the pancreas not regenerating itself... but the body is pretty amazing.. and heals itself really well hence why l wonder if the pancreas can do the same thing.... who knows hey anything is possible!

Ended up just having a chat at the docs as BS person had gone home! Nice if they had told me that... o well! So going down one morning next week.
Need a good kip first.. was out Friday and Sat night and didnt get to bed both evenings till 4:30am! Eeek not good! Although lm very proud to say l didnt drink Friday night and only had 3 glasses on Sat night! Feeling so much better for majorly cutting down on the drinking!
xx

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
My parents are friends with this bloke down the pub and his wife had diabetes type 1 but sounds like she reversed it and is now type 2! She did low carb and did all the right things when diagnosed.
Will get my dad to find out more....

yipster29

Hmmm go careful matey.....
My DN seriously considered putting me on tablets instead of insulin at my last check because of how well I'm doing but she 'ummed and ahhed' over it and said that she'd only done that with a couple of people whose control was that tight she felt she could try and in both cases they ended up back to square one as the tablets couldn't mimic the pancreas the way we need it to where we have no insulin production.
She said I could try and I replied that frankly I'd rather stay as I was with good control and feeling well!!
Be interested to hear what you get told though.
Take care :)
Cath

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
HBA1C posted- 5.6% :) Yay!! They are giving me a new BS monitor as well which tests Ketones.

yipster29

WOW!! Get straight in there on that sofa girl!!!! Fantastic Jo, huge well done!! when you think how scared we were 4 months ago :(
Let me know how you get on with monitor so I know whether I want one!! :D
Cath
xx

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Thank you :)
I know- 3 weeks of feeling like poo was worth the way l feel these days though :)
Ha although not sure how seriously l took it- when was shipped into the 'resusitation unit' at the hospital l just ended up telling my mum not too worry so much and flirted with the cute Irish doctor haha ;) Got to keep yourself grounded hey :)

yipster29

No I played it down hugely too! (classic symptoms as we now know!) with my BG of 31.8 I was asking whether they were sure I had diabetes as I did have a cold! (feel very silly now... :oops: ) And checking with the consultant dripping me up that I'd still be allowed to drink alcohol wouldn't I :lol:
We got there mate and I'm glad the forum introduced us to each other to share the highs and lows too! (soppy sincere moment over.... I'm going back to the work I'm meant to be doing!! 8) )

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Ahh so true! Big hug :)
I kept telling them that l had been on a massive cocktail night out with work and overdid it that was all! haha- my worry was that l couldnt go out that night to London Fashion weekend! Still went.. oops! Not the best idea looking back... my poor mum was so worried!

colpaxclarke

Hi everyone, I am 14 months in and luckily still on my honeymoon period. Not been doing low carb at all to be honest. I got told the average honeymoon period is around 18 months so just making the most out of it at the moment. Going to try for a baby at the end of the year but my husband is concerned if I'm pregnant and then finish my honeymoon period and levels sky rocket then I may struggle. Has anyone else had a baby before the end of the honeymoon period? Thanks.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I am 14 months in and luckily still on my honeymoon period. Not been doing low carb at all to be honest. I got told the average honeymoon period is around 18 months so just making the most out of it at the moment. Going to try for a baby at the end of the year but my husband is concerned if I'm pregnant and then finish my honeymoon period and levels sky rocket then I may struggle. Has anyone else had a baby before the end of the honeymoon period? Thanks.
This thread is over 10 years old, and meant of its contributors haven’t been seen around these parts for many years. You maybe best creating your own thread with your questions re pregnancy and honeymoon period.

Reactions: colpaxclarke

Niamh93

Hey! I’m Type 1 and I’ve actually had my honeymoon period last for nearly 6 and a half years! Think it’s a record. I’ve definitely not controlled it with diet or anything. My pancreas just started working again. I am just starting this week to take 6 units of basal rate insulin as my sugars have been up to 18 recently. I thought I’d cured myself so I’m pretty gutted, but appreciate I had an opportunity not many get!

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I was diagnosed T1 nearly 7 years ago. Been LCHF for over 6 years. Still in the honeymoon period, been taking insulin for the last 4 years. In my opinion (and dr Bernstein’s) the best way to extend your honeymoon period is to keep your BG levels low. He recommends around 4.7. At this level he says he has seen beta cell growth in patients. I started taking insulin when I could no longer get my BG levels below 6.0 without a lot of exercise. I could probably have gone another year or two without insulin, but this would have reduced my honeymoon period. I started with just 1u insulin, it has gradually increased. Depending on the meal, I take around 3u novorapid and 5u long acting at night to keep my BG in check overnight.

A quote from Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A must read if you really want to extend your honeymoon period.
“There are several hypotheses as to why conventional treatment won’t let the honeymoon go on forever, but my experience with patients indicates that with proper treatment it can. Essential to this is a low-carbohydrate diet and normal blood sugars. This will help preserve whatever insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells you may have. (The same is true for type 2 diabetics. Beta cell burnout the destruction of beta cells caused by excessive demands on the pancreas and by the toxic effect of high blood sugars upon beta cells — can be avoided, halted, and in some cases reversed if you get on the Diabetes Solution program and get your blood sugars normalized.)”