New Pre Diabetic

Del2864

Hello recently told I'm pre diabetic, after a long while in denial anything was ever wrong with me I went for my 40 - 70 health check , only to be told that I'm not only pre diabetic, but have high blood pressure and high Cholesterol, so I'm now trying to find the balance with food, I've attended the Desmond course which is for type 2 diabetics with my wife she has now reversed her diebetas so I'm in good hands , I'm testing blood daily at the moment and currently my % is 6.3 as an average Fingers crossed I implement the correct regime

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Welcome to this fantastic forum- I have just joined as well and getting good advice from the other members

Reactions: Del2864

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Del2864, It's good that you have a Blood Glucose meter and are testing. The way most people in here reverse their T2D is by using a Low Carb way of eating, not necessarily any calorie restriction even for those who want to lose weight.

An alternative to Low Carb is a fairly short ultra low calorie diet (800Cals ) 2 that are used most are the Newcastle diet (meal substitutes) or the Blood Sugar Diet by Dr Michael Mosely which is 800Calories but uses real food.

There are 2 problems with these crash diets (apart from the willpower required to basically starve yourself):
1. You can only do them for a limited time and then have to switch to something more sustainable (such as Low Carb).- so why not do Low Carb in the first place since it acts just as fast for Blood Glucose reduction and is easier to do for most because there is no starvation involved.
2. When you starve yourself your body adapts so as to use less energy to just stay alive. You feel that lack of energy. But this means that in order to maintain the weight loss you need to cut calories even more and your body adapts to that again. Then when you end the diet you must stick to a much lower calorie intake for life since if you eat more then your body will put weight back on.

The 3rd alternative (but really only for those who are severely obese is fasting which is the approach of Dr Jason Fung. Basically this is living off your stores of fat and taking supplements to avoid severe deficiencies. Strangely this approach doesn't reduce your resting metabolic rate, so afterwards a more reasonable calorie intake rather than an artificially reduced one is possible.

For any Type 2 trying out Low Carb, I strongly suggest measuring BG before each meal and then 2hrs after first bite. This is because each person processes Carbohydrates slightly differently. Some can eat small quantities of potatoes, where I can't even eat a raw carrot.! Only by testing (aiming for a rise of less than 2 mmol) can you tell which carbs in which quantities your body can tolerate.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Del2864

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hello recently told I'm pre diabetic, after a long while in denial anything was ever wrong with me I went for my 40 - 70 health check , only to be told that I'm not only pre diabetic, but have high blood pressure and high Cholesterol, so I'm now trying to find the balance with food, I've attended the Desmond course which is for type 2 diabetics with my wife she has now reversed her diebetas so I'm in good hands , I'm testing blood daily at the moment and currently my % is 6.3 as an average Fingers crossed I implement the correct regime
You are already on track to get you BG under control. The main thing is that you are doing something to get it down. Most people don't. I am now in the normal range with an HBA1c of 40. It was 53 at diagnosis 2.5 years ago. Lots of exercise and a low carb diet should be all you need. The vital thing is that you don't see it as a short term cure. You have to change your mindset and realise that you are making changes for the rest of your life. Keep reading on this site. everything is here that you need to succeed.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm another who has normal blood sugar levels on low carb. I've also lost weight while not in any way counting calories. This site and the amazing people on it have made all the difference. Read around and good luck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help some, though if your wife's reversed hers, you probably already know all this. (if not, ask away) Good luck getting back to good numbers!
Jo