JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That's a proper use of your meter to find the foods you can eat and those you most definitely shouldn't.

Reactions: Allan59

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am glad that things are improving for you. When you look at how many carbs are in food, it’s really eye opening. I still have sauces with my food, but much, much less than pre-diabetes diagnosis. Most folk on here, myself included, are permanently on a low carb, high fat diet. I’m on pretty low carbs, as I’m trying to lose weight, but once I’m at my goal weight, I’ll increase my carbs a bit to keep my weight stable. In the meantime, bring on the low carb foods such as double cream, meat, eggs, bacon and cheese etc. keeping a food diary, along with doing and noting pre-meal and 2 hours post-meal blood sugars, will give you a food menu of how you react to different foods, so you’ll know what to foods to avoid because they spike your blood sugars. Ideally, you want to have blood sugars at:

Before eating: 4.0 - 7.0 mmol/L
2 hours after eating: under 8.5 mmol/L.
With no more than a 2.0mmol/L increase above the before eating blood sugar number.

Hope this all helps. :)

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Thanks everyone - looks like I have to do some shopping and buy some better food for myself.
Because my fridge is full of my favorites that is certainly not good for me.
But now I know- I can have a omelette :):)

Reactions: AloeSvea

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
:)
Thanks everyone - looks like I have to do some shopping and buy some better food for myself.
Because my fridge is full of my favorites that is certainly not good for me.
But now I know- I can have a omelette :):)
Eggs are good they go well with bacon.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any meat, fish, seafood, cheese, eggs, all are fine if not messed with - I often smile when I see things marked as 100 percent meat or fish on the front of the package, and there is a thick layer of starch on the outside of it.
There are quite a few low carb veges which should not push up your glucose levels, cabbage, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, swede, turnip, courgette, aubergine, mushrooms, celery, beansprouts, radishes are just a few. I have cream in my coffee and on the frozen mixed berries I have from time to time.

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar free jelly, some strawberries (a low carb fruit) and double cream make a yummy dessert!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Tons of stuff you can have that don't have huge amounts of carbs in them.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay - Round 2
Before dinner: 6.7
Dinner - was only a oven pizza bought from the shops ..
2 hours later: blood sugar was 12.1
I also, took one tablet .

Wow ! no more of these pizza,s - blood sugar level nearly doubled
Know what the scary thing is with pizza? It's called the Pizza Effect. They spike high, but they spike slow. It's one of those foods that contain a lot of carbs, and a lot of fats... And fats slow down the uptake of carbs. Would be a good thing if it was just a bit of carbs, but alas, pizza has a lot of them so... You probably missed the highest spike. Probably came at 3 or 4 hours after the first bite.

I don't miss pizza much, but if I do I make one with keto mug bread dough put in a pan. (In mug: 15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour and ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Done. Unless of course you want a pizza, then the dough goes in a frying pan). If that's too complicated, as pizza is after all a food of ease, you can just put toppings on an omelet. Then there's fathead pizza, but I never tried my hand at that, as I'm not much of a cook. ;)

Reactions: UK T1 and Allan59

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's called the Pizza Effect. They spike high, but they spike slow
And quite often they spike twice because of that combination of fats and carbs I have when eating a pizza had a spike then a drop then a spike again and the effect can last many hours I have not now eaten pizza in well over a year.

Except when I've had the odd fit of madness.

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Yeah! I think the pizza was a big mistake and a lesson to be learned.
This morning- I skipped breakfast ( don't know if this was the right thing to do ) - but before I was going to eat my lunch ( omelette again ) - I checked my sugar level and was surprised to see it was 9.0 - will check again in 2 hours time.
I have also took one tablet.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah! I think the pizza was a big mistake and a lesson to be learned.
This morning- I skipped breakfast ( don't know if this was the right thing to do ) - but before I was going to eat my lunch ( omelette again ) - I checked my sugar level and was surprised to see it was 9.0 - will check again in 2 hours time.
I have also took one tablet.
Might still be high due to the pizza, but more likely Dawn Phenomenon. Our fasting blood sugars are the last to come down. Don't panic, you're still on the right track. ;)

Reactions: UK T1 and Allan59

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Might still be high due to the pizza, but more likely Dawn Phenomenon. Our fasting blood sugars are the last to come down. Don't panic, you're still on the right track. ;)
Thank you for the support - it is down again to 6.6 :)
Got to think what I will eat tonight :banghead:

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to continue to eat pizza, fathead pizza is delicious and very similar to a bread dough pizza - it is also very hard to eat more than slice as it is very filling.

https://headbangerskitchen.com/recipe/fathead-pizza-crust/

I get a lot of recipes off this site - he does lots of videos on YouTube and has plenty of recipes for keto curries and breads, plus lots of other stuff, and he is very entertaining as well.

I have made this recipe a few times, and it is a big hit even with the bread eaters of the family as it is very similar to a normal pizza.

I now eat grilled fish with butter on - and I don't miss the battered or breaded fish at all. Your tastebuds adapt, and I now find things like bread or other starchy foods so bland.

Interestingly I realised that what I really missed about fish and chips was the taste and mouthfeel of the salt and the fat, rather than the fish and chips themselves.

Good luck with your food journey!

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that not eating in the morning was not a good thing for me. I now eat morning and evening, because my morning numbers keep on going up until I do. My liver is being helpful in case I need to travel far or fast to find food.

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Okay a little up date:
Tonight before dinner 6.1
Dinner - chicken & a salad - with a little potion of chips on the side - also took one tablet
After 2 hours: 8.7
I think if I left out the chips- it would have been less ;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just thought I would like to point out that metformin has a negligible effect on blood sugars the same cannot be said of chips.

You are probably correct in thinking without the chips the blood sugar levels would have been less.

Allan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Too many to mention:
Little up date: Things are going okay, still working out what kind of foods are okay for me to eat.
Being Easter and as a chocolate lover - this is going to be a hard weekend.
Last night before dinner 7.1 - chicken and a salad - 2 hours later 7.1
So, thanks for all the help above and Happy Easter :):chicken::)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi there - just found this forum last night and thought I would join.
I have diabetes 2 and last night, after dinner and took my ( Metformin tablet ) I checked my blood sugar level and it was 11.2 - I was really surprised and sad, as it's never usually that high- then this morning checked it again - it was 10.6 ( still to eat my breakfast and take my tablet - then I will check my sugar level in 90 mins time- plus I will also go for a walk with my dog.
I take one tablet in the morning and one at night time around 8 pm with dinner ( 500mg ).
Maybe I need to take 3 tablets a day ? I will try and phone my doctor and ask him, would should I do.
I am 60 years of age - still working as a tiler over here in Sweden and I miss all the sweeties and ice cream- and my coco pops !!!
Anyway, Glad I found this forum - as it's good to hear from other members who have diabetes 2 who are struggling with this every day and has changed our lives- know what I mean ?
So we can offer some tips, we need to know more about your hba1c and diet details.