Funniest thing you've done while having a hypo...

Herbie72

Not sure what sort of anecdotes we'll get here, but here goes...

I had a school interview when I was about 11, a year after diagnosis, and while the headmaster was asking me questions, I suddenly started shooting him with an imaginary gun. Began with a few PEEOWW PEEOWWs and then it turned into a machine gun, BRATATATAT... Poor headmaster didn't know what hit him. Amazingly, I got the place :D

Reactions: 6 people

Fallenstar

Well I have quiet a few really and most are from my young going out drinking days...so I suppose it was a combination of the two...That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it :wink:

Most embarrassing one, which I am still occasionally reminded of from time to time by my lovely friend's is: We used to stop off at a 24 hour greasy spoon cafe on the way from town to a nightclub..no way would you go withing ten foot of this place sober, so you can imagine what sort of state we may have been in.
Anyway I decided one night instead of eating my fried egg I would wear it ,so I put it on my head. a little odd yes but at the time it seemed like such a good idea.
We ended up outside the club, OBVIOUSLY they refused me entry. I was flailing around by this time outside the nightclub with said fried egg on my head...not one of my better moments. My friends through their drunken stuper decided to make me test...Yes, the machine said LOW, so off the scale.
I'm sure if I had had a glass of Coke in the Cafe I would have been eating the egg instead of wearing it but then again drink never did agree with me sometimes....Took flipping ages to get it out of my hair the next day :roll:

Reactions: 2 people

Fallenstar

:lol: :lol: I know :lol: the even more tragic thing I remember about it, was the conviction I had that it would really catch on :lol: I get reminded I was seriously telling my friends that if there were any designers out that night I would be taken on straight away as a protege :lol: Maybe I was spiked :lol:
I can get very convinced though when low :lol:

Joey Datsun

Dislikes
High blood sugars, feeling alone with diabetes
Not funny but san embarrassment that you may find funny…

Well, a few years ago my ex and me decided we wanted children. After a year or so there were no signs of little feet so off to the local fertility clinic we went. This involved various tests, including the dreaded “can you produce a sample for us, there is a private room for you just down the corridor”.

Now something that normally works quite fine thank you just didn’t want to know. Maybe it was the clinical surroundings I thought, the impersonal room, the “smutty” magazines…… No, it was much worse - I was just slipping into a hypo! I guess I must have been in that locked room for over 30 minutes until the door was forced open by a rather stern nurse looking at me with my jeans and underpants around my ankles. Thankfully my ex was called into the room and brought me round enough with emergency Lucozade. I never did get to provide “that” sample.

Now there’s an embarrassment if ever felt one!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
What a neandethal hospital.
When I had to be tested it was"Here's a sample jar, just obtain a sample and drop it off at the lab when convenient!" - all very civilised., no tawdryness, no embarassment.

Fallenstar

JoeyDatsun
You have made me laugh :lol: I think you win so far :lol:
Nothing like making an already very "tense" situation tenser!

Love it!

Herbie72

Joey Datsun said:
Not funny but san embarrassment that you may find funny…

Well, a few years ago my ex and me decided we wanted children. After a year or so there were no signs of little feet so off to the local fertility clinic we went. This involved various tests, including the dreaded “can you produce a sample for us, there is a private room for you just down the corridor”.

Now something that normally works quite fine thank you just didn’t want to know. Maybe it was the clinical surroundings I thought, the impersonal room, the “smutty” magazines…… No, it was much worse - I was just slipping into a hypo! I guess I must have been in that locked room for over 30 minutes until the door was forced open by a rather stern nurse looking at me with my jeans and underpants around my ankles. Thankfully my ex was called into the room and brought me round enough with emergency Lucozade. I never did get to provide “that” sample.

Now there’s an embarrassment if ever felt one!

That is brilliant!! :lol:

Poodlelady

Dislikes
I dislike people who swear a lot, shout and are rude. I dislike people who tell me what I should and should not be doing when they haven't the first idea about Diabetes.
Newly diagnosed I knew nothing of hypos until one day leaving the surgery after seeing the nurse and driving I suddenly started to feel rather odd, so, pulled into a petrol stataion, ran in and grabbed two little milkyways off the front rack, wripped off the wrapping and shoved them into my mouth and then grabbed a lucosade and started to guzzle that. The lady behind the counter realised very quickly that I was in trouble and came to my rescue, by this time I was ready to pass out. She was a diabetic and sat me in the office until I was finally on the way up with my levels. She gave me some food and away home I went. I later sent her a thank you card with some flowers.

Reactions: 4 people

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have very little memory of it however my family keep reminding me on a regular basis :oops:

When I was about 14, coming home from school my sugars dropped while I was on my own on the bus... Some security guard tryed getting me off at the bus depot but I downright refused, hitting the guy so he called the police... I then went onto hit the really nice policeman :oops:

I was in the back of the van when I started to come round when it came over the radio that a 14year old girl with diabetes was missing, wearing uniform etc so they took me home...

I'm not sure why but the policeman thought this was highly hilarious, he was laughing all the way back to my house... I'm not sure it helped Im only 5 foot now so then I'd have been even tinier :lol:

Herbie72

Blimey! I remember swearing at my dad once (he's a vicar) so that didn't go down too well! But I don't recall ever hitting anyone!! :lol:

Joey Datsun

Dislikes
High blood sugars, feeling alone with diabetes
Another embarrassing moment for me was unfortunately another rude episode. I guess it’s the rudeness that makes it embarrassing.

Many years when I used to consume far too much alcohol and I woke up one night after a rather hectic beer fuelled session. I really couldn’t tell if my blood was low or I just felt rough so I tip toed downstairs to get my meter.

Now in those days gone by I used to sleep in my birthday suit, stark naked except for my cute smile. I checked my blood in the kitchen and sure enough it was 2.9. I reached for the Lucozde and in the process slammed the cupboard door with an almighty bang. I started to guzzle the Lucozade and immediately felt an unstoppable need to pee. Not knowing what to do for the best, wet myself of have a massive hypo, I decided the best option would be to run the tap and relive myself in the kitchen sink. Yes, I know, not the most hygienic option but just remember my immediate predicament.

I stood there, on tip toe, tap full blast, “something” in one hand and a bottle of Lucozade in the other when I heard in a deep familiar voice “You alright lad?” from behind me. My dad (god rest his soul) had been woken up by the commotion and had come to see what was going on.

He told me years later that he could barely contain his laughter at the comical sight that was before him. My “punishment” was to scrub the sink with copious amounts of Domestos.

sicko666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Textbook medical profesionals! Narrow minded people.
Lol...these all sound so funny,mine is rather a strange one more than funny per say.
When my levels get too low it kicks of a full grand maul epileptic seizer,BUT, when levels are just approaching too low my entire right side starts shacking up and down uncontrollably from my lip to my feet .So picture the scene, i am standing at a crowded bus stop for ages so its packed, when for no apparent reason this madman starts bouncing up and down gradually turning in a circle while at the same time using his left arm with no success to try and stop his right arm bouncing up and down ( because the dextrose was in my right hand trouser pocket! ).It was like a bad edition of "river dance", the looks on peoples faces around me were like "theres a madmen here, help!!!!!!" lol the look of horror on one womans face will be with me forever,lol!!!

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
Have enjoyed reading these hypo tales - most are funny ones :lol:
I have only ever had 1 real bad hypo - I rarely ever cry and I went from fighting to concentrate and keep focused after eating couple of chocolate bars and drinking some milk, to sobbing and wailing kept repeating my husbands name over and over to myself. He wasnt even in the house at the time! :shock:
It knocked the complete stuffing out of me , I slept later to compensate for it...
To be completely honest it frightened me and am always guarded with the very first signs of a hypo now . Get bit jittery and shaky I test my levels immediately , see where they hit and treat accordingly.
Does anyone else get all floppy and drunken looking crying and sobbing at the same time?
I will never forget it, luckily I AM hypo aware. Some persons arnt .
Anna.x :D

Herbie72

sicko666 said:
Lol...these all sound so funny,mine is rather a strange one more than funny per say.
When my levels get too low it kicks of a full grand maul epileptic seizer,BUT, when levels are just approaching too low my entire right side starts shacking up and down uncontrollably from my lip to my feet .So picture the scene, i am standing at a crowded bus stop for ages so its packed, when for no apparent reason this madman starts bouncing up and down gradually turning in a circle while at the same time using his left arm with no success to try and stop his right arm bouncing up and down ( because the dextrose was in my right hand trouser pocket! ).It was like a bad edition of "river dance", the looks on peoples faces around me were like "theres a madmen here, help!!!!!!" lol the look of horror on one womans face will be with me forever,lol!!!

Can picture you, now :lol:

Ausra

I remember just after the diagnosis i had trouble bringing my sugar levels down, so i decided to be smart and took insulin without food and went out to keep myself away from eating.
I went to primark and the place was full of people, so full...i became very irritated of people stepping on my shoes and standing in the middle not letting other people to get through. It was really mad in there..I could not stand it anymore and decided to get out of there, but the way out was far away. I was so desperate to get out I walked over other people not letting anyone to get in my way.That's when i started feeling that something is not right with me. But i could not realise I was having a hypo. When I finally got out, I sat outside and lit a cigarette. Then for a second everything went black and back to normal again. I sat there thinking what was going on, but still i could not realise i was having a hypo. Then everything went black again and back to normal one more time. Sudenly I realised i am hungry so i went for a search for a shop or any place that sell food and i found starbucks. I was almost passing out while ordering hot chocollate (hot chocollate!) but I tried very hard not to show that there was something wrong with me..Tall or Grande?..big please..here or take away?..here please..(sweating real bad, eyes all over the face)..cream on top?..yes please..no NO please..(how to make it faster??!!)I had maybe 20 moments of blackness while waiting for my drink to be ready. When i finally got it i drank it in 2 minutes even though it was really hot..it was the best hot chocollate i have ever tasted in my whole life but it was not enough, i went back to que for a sandwich, then for a cake.I sat there and watched life coming back to me. Life in vision. And only then i though: this probably was a hypo.

Reactions: 2 people

Fallenstar

Ausra :D

Yes the taste of the Hot Chocolate, You could not begin to describe how utterly gorgeous things taste when you are having a Hypo....Like a mars bar has been made by a top Michelin star chef...not a mars bar from your local corner shop :lol:

I must admit that is one of the positive things about Hypo's, probably the only one :lol: .Mmmmm the taste of something sweet :D

Herbie72

Fallenstar said:
Ausra :D

Yes the taste of the Hot Chocolate, You could not begin to describe how utterly gorgeous things taste when you are having a Hypo....Like a mars bar has been made by a top Michelin star chef...not a mars bar from your local corner shop :lol:

I must admit that is one of the positive things about Hypo's, probably the only one :lol: .Mmmmm the taste of something sweet :D

Mars Bars were like heaven, absolutely!