Very high blood sugars, headaches, body aches and pain!!

AF

Hi guys I am very new to all this, I was diagnosed with DT1 back in Jan after my 30th. I was admitted straight to hospital after having a urine sample tested at my doctors surgery as my blood sugars were found sky high at 33.2 Since then I got a lot better and within days I went down to what was a normal average for me of 12/13mmol. Since the last 2/3 weeks I have been experiencing really high blood sugars along with these terrible headaches and body aches, Ive tried to communicate this to my nurse but I never seem to get quite the answers or help that I need and its very concerning. Why are they so high I am doing everything right? Why the headaches and pains?!!! Now because of "COVID-19" I feel like there is no help available :-( Please will someone help I feel left in the dark without the help and support I need.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AF and welcome

I’m type 2 so don’t have any diabetes related advice to offer, but it sounds as though giving 111 a call (if you’re in the UK) would be a good idea.

Tagging a few friendly type 1s too @Juicyj @Diakat @Antje77 @Jaylee

Reactions: AF

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I am very new to all this, I was diagnosed with DT1 back in Jan after my 30th. I was admitted straight to hospital after having a urine sample tested at my doctors surgery as my blood sugars were found sky high at 33.2 Since then I got a lot better and within days I went down to what was a normal average for me of 12/13mmol. Since the last 2/3 weeks I have been experiencing really high blood sugars along with these terrible headaches and body aches, Ive tried to communicate this to my nurse but I never seem to get quite the answers or help that I need and its very concerning. Why are they so high I am doing everything right? Why the headaches and pains?!!! Now because of "COVID-19" I feel like there is no help available :-( Please will someone help I feel left in the dark without the help and support I need.

Hi @AF ,

Welcome to the forum.

Let's see if combined experince can sort this out? I'm going to also tag in the "hive mind" of @kev-w @therower

What insulins are you prescribed.?
Do you have a keytone meter or a funtion to measure ketones on your meter?
Here is some NHS advice on Keytones & High BGs. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

What maybe happening with the highs right now coinciding with your particular symptoms is a (sounds like.) seasonal flu could be causing The higher BGs? Your basal needs could need adjustment to combat this.? Has your HCPs mentioned the "sick day" rules to you..?
However, you may have also experinced a short "honeymoon" period where the pacreas was still helping you out for a couple of months in fits & starts before finally giving up? Again, your insulin requirements will need a review.. Here is some aditional information on basal testing. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

I know from personal experince with high blood sugars, I can feel aches & weakness in the legs.

Hope this helps? Please don't hesitate to ask on anything you are unsure of..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you feel so rubbish, @AF, and this isn't the best of time to be a newly diagnosed T1 with everyone busy with Covid :(
Since the last 2/3 weeks I have been experiencing really high blood sugars along with these terrible headaches and body aches
As to the cause of your aches and high blood sugars, it can be both ways: High blood glucose can cause all sorts of aches, especially headaches, but if their's an underlying illness causing the aches it's likely to cause high blood glucose.

How are you deciding on your insulin doses and what insulin(s) do you use?
Have you been taught to use corrections already when you're high?
Early in diagnosis, like you are, our insulin needs can change quickly, so if you're on set doses they'll have to be adjusted regularly, and if you use an insulin to carbs ratio (like x units of insulin for y grams of carbs) the ratio isn't likely to be somewhat stable yet.

Even for long standing diabetics all rules are off when being ill. Very hard to keep your numbers in check when your body is fighting illness or infection.

Do you have a keytone meter or a funtion to measure ketones on your meter?
If you're seeing high bg a lot of the time DKA is a serious threat. It doesn't happen all too often but if it does things can go downhill fast.

If your nurse doesn't respond I second Goonergals advice to call 111.

All the best, and keep us updated!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, I'd 'imagine' the headaches and body aches are to do with the high blood sugars, as opposed to the high bloods being a result of illness (but under the current circumstances this comes with the usual caveats).

You mention 'normal' levels of 12/13mmol which to me is twice as high as what I'm aiming at and I'd feel drained with a blood of 12mmol all day, that's not a criticism by the way but perhaps something to think about.

The 'problem' you face at the moment (other than the usual '***' is this) is what's called the honeymoon period where your pancreas can release more insulin again as it's load has been lightened by what you're injecting, this 'appears' to vary person to person in its effect and 'severity', if your bloods are staying high it would be appropriate to increase your 'basal' insulin by a couple of units (depending on which type you're using) and see if you drop levels, if I'm ill or just trending high I'll inject fast acting to correct, for me a unit as a correction will lower me by 2-3mmol over 90 minutes but again this differs from person to person and which insulins/foods and timings you're doing.

Good luck with it :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do let us know what insulins you are taking and whether you are carb-counting. It sounds like your nurse isn't very good which is sad as lime if really good. Sugar levels of 12/13 mmol are not 'normal' and you should be trying to keep below around 10mmol as often as you can. Are you also having a low-carb diet as this will help with BS and it's swings.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do let us know what insulins you are taking and whether you are carb-counting. It sounds like your nurse isn't very good which is sad as lime if really good. Sugar levels of 12/13 mmol are not 'normal' and you should be trying to keep below around 10mmol as often as you can. Are you also having a low-carb diet as this will help with BS and it's swings.

I'd always argue that low carb bit, not all carbs are equal and it's possible to maintain good blood sugars whilst injecting for the complex carbs you eat, low car works for some but it's not for everybody. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd always argue that low carb bit, not all carbs are equal and it's possible to maintain good blood sugars whilst injecting for the complex carbs you eat, low car works for some but it's not for everybody. :)
That's fine as long as the user is able to control weight whilst having carbs and insulin but there are posts from time to time where an insulin user has not worried about carbs and is surprised at gaining weight hence my warning. I low-carb otherwise I gain weight easily; others may not have that problem.

AF

Hi @AF and welcome

I’m type 2 so don’t have any diabetes related advice to offer, but it sounds as though giving 111 a call (if you’re in the UK) would be a good idea.

Tagging a few friendly type 1s too @Juicyj @Diakat @Antje77 @Jaylee

Thank you. Yes I called 111 and was got sent to my Doctors for some tests all is fine thank god no ketones or anything. Just poorly managed.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Sometimes when I feel low I can binge eat. Doesn’t happen often.

But oddly enough yesterday was one of those days..

I’ve had an uncomfortable night ache all over, headache joint and muscle pain.

In the past I’ve gone so far that I couldn’t stand or hold anything.

Scary when it happens but now I know it does I don’t get myself in that state again (normally)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hope you’ve been given a bit help on ways to improve your blood sugars @AF and the headaches and general aches and pains begin to disappear. Very good news that you’ve no ketones. Getting to know your own T1 takes time, it’s a learning process for all of us, and we’re all different. Even when we think we might have got it sussed it can throw us a curve ball, so I hope that you’re beginning to find ways to subdue the beast. Good luck.