Type 2 giving platelets Corvid 19 dilemma

zanc

I'm Type 2 for over 10 years and also male with blood group A, so more susceptible to adverse symptoms from Corvid 19. I am giving platelets tomorrow, but I'm being harassed by my family to not go because of the risk. They are being particularly hard on me. However, I'm not considered a high risk (not received a letter from the government) so I feel I should (and want to) continue to go and those platelets are needed.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest i didn't realise you could still donate! I had stopped doing donations as i thought diabetes was on the list of conditions where they dont accept donations.

If your happy to do it, then you do what you think is right. if your careful and practice distancing/good hygiene. I can imagine they hospital or where ever will have additional controls in place to protect you and them.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a correlation with blood group and covid-19? What does donating platelets mean, is that different from normal blood donation?

zanc

Hi, there does seem to be a significant morbidity rate between blood groups with A being the worst. I don't think anyone knows why. Platelets and plasma can be given every 2 weeks as they are continuously replenished in about a week. Although plasma can be kept (frozen?) platelets only have a 5 day life.

Diabetics (at least Type 2) can give whole blood, platelets and plasma. It may depend on medication level. They stopped me donating when I was first diagnosed, but then found out that they changed their criteria and I have donated since then.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rang the blood donors helpline this morning, as I couldn't find the answer to something else. I also asked about safety.

They have not been using masks at the centers. They plan to roll out using facemasks over the next few days.

I don't know if this will influence your decision.

zanc

Gave platelets and plasma last Friday at the Cambridge Adenbrooks site. They are well prepared with all necessary PPE for running the service. Staff were excellent as usual. Next appointment a week on Friday.