Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
So I ask how are you coping with this challenging time how are you keeping your motivation to staying true to eating better choices and Avoiding foods. I'm having one of those days and So over this isolation only because live on my own these days and so I'm unable to visit my family and friends it's hard its Easter this weekend and I'm sad I can't travel to visit my mum and family and missing mums 90th a week ago was bad enough and now easter then next mother's day. Sorry just one of those days. my only outings are med appointment or grocery shopping. But its causing anxiety eating my LCHF diet is out the window and I'm buying comfort foods carbs bread hot cross buns knowing what harm they are doing isnt stopping me at the moment. I need some tips, motivation and any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks ☆

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It is difficult and I'm guessing that most of us are experiencing the same problems. I know what you mean about the hot cross buns, our local co-op does some with chocolate, luckily not my favourite, and some with apple and cinnamon, different kettle of fish all together.

Reactions: annabell1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I ask how are you coping with this challenging time how are you keeping your motivation to staying true to eating better choices and Avoiding foods. I'm having one of those days and So over this isolation only because live on my own these days and so I'm unable to visit my family and friends it's hard its Easter this weekend and I'm sad I can't travel to visit my mum and family and missing mums 90th a week ago was bad enough and now easter then next mother's day. Sorry just one of those days. my only outings are med appointment or grocery shopping. But its causing anxiety eating my LCHF diet is out the window and I'm buying comfort foods carbs bread hot cross buns knowing what harm they are doing isnt stopping me at the moment. I need some tips, motivation and any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks ☆
For me personally, I keep reading things like how being overweight increases the odds of, you know, becoming a corona statistic. I picked this time to actually go farther in my diet than I did before. (And for the first time in a year and a half, the scales are actually moving again). Not for myself, but for my husband and my mum, I have to keep breathing. So I'm IF-ing my behind off, literally. They're all the motivation I need. Does the chocolate Easter bunny my husband got from a distributor wink at me often? You bet it does. So then I pour myself another tea and keep fasting. I've been cooped up at home since the 7th of March, have only left the house to get a shot at the deserted doc's office (my husband took time off to drive me there, didn't want me to walk the half an our there and back and be exposed to other people on the way.), and that's it. I keep busy with the usual things... Trying to get the house in some sort of order (failing), keeping the cats entertained (success), and just drinking buckets of tea. Oh, and doing some Facebook challenge of photographing my daily life. Which isn't very exciting as it is, and is now downright dull. Yesterday I actually posted a picture of dishes drying in the rack. ;) Try to keep your mind occupied with things other than corona, and the related anxieties that go with it. They'll still be a hum in the background, unavoidable as it is, but it might keep you from the buns.

Now I have those buns in my head though. Kettle, here I come!

Hugs,
Jo
PS: Sorry I don't have quick fixes... I don't think many of us do right now. But any motivation you find is a good one, whatever it may be.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is human nature. Stress, boredom, isolation - they all impact on our eating habits.

I am trying to take the view that should I contract COVID-19 then if my blood glucose is at its best level of control, with the lowest standard deviation, and the best nutrition, then I stand a much better chance of not getting a bad case of the virus.

That keen, sensible, practical, reasonable view usually lasts until about 4pm, when the worms start biting and I start to remember all the little nibbles and interesting foods that are in Mr B's carb stash. From that point on, it becomes a balancing act until bedtime. Then the next day it starts again.

Had some rather distressing COVID related family news 2 days ago, and immediately fell straight into a comfort eating pattern of behaviour that I thought I had left behind some 20 years ago. Ah well, got myself back together by the following morning, and fortunately the carb craving consequences have been minimal, but the Gluten consequences are only just starting.

Basically, don't beat yourself up. You aren't alone in this. Many of us are going through exactly the same thing. But every time you can make a good/better/healthier choice, is a time when you improve your health and reduce the risk should you become ill.

Reactions: UK T1 and annabell1

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In terms of isolation, I don’t know if you are based in the UK but we are still allowed out for exercise. I go out at lunchtime, and I arrange with a friend that we will go ‘together’ but completely separately. By which I mean, she goes for a walk locally to her and I walk locally to me, but we stick on our headsets and and have a good natter for 45 mins. Sort of walkie-talkie!

Double whammy, social contact and a bit of fresh air and exercise. :cat:

And I tend to shop much later in the evening, after the carb-munchers have cleared the shelves of things which I don’t want to eat. Much less choice to be tempted by...

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really struggling also, I desperately need to lose weight and before lockdown I'd made a little progress and lost 9lb just by cutting out snacks. Now the temptation to snack is so much higher and I know it's just comfort and boredom eating not hunger. I'd also come along way controlling my diabetes, managing to reduce my hba1c and also address some of my mental barriers regarding my diagnosis. Finding it so hard not to lapse.
Sending you big hugs right now and hoping you find strength to help your through!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I'm in the same camp as Jo and Brunneria. I'm hoping to have my blood glucose well under control in case I catch the virus. Each evening I'm planning exactly what I am going to eat the following day so that my blood glucose stays stable and I'm less likely to start stress- or boredom eating. I'm also booking a 5pm phone call with a friend each day which diverts me from the time at which I would be most likely to succumb to some carb-based 'treat'. I haven't got the mental strength needed to lose weight at this time so I am aiming not to gain any and am managing with this so far.
The current crisis will pass. I owe it to my family and friends to stay healthy so that they do not have additional worries!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it's difficult. For chocolate go for 85% Dark. For bread go for seeded wholemeal. It's still full of carbs but a bit better. For x-buns don't have the ones filled with honey etc, just read the label for carb content. Have eggs and bacon for breakfast, tinned fish, any form of meat, soup (watch the added sugar) and so on

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly, I was in a conference call a few days ago. Waiting for someone to join, we started chatting about working from home, getting out a little to exercise and so on. Anyway, someone asked if "the others" were using the lockdown time to become Adonises, or something else.

Trust me, @annabell1 , you are not alone in what you say.

Nobody is seeing us. Nobody is going to be seeing us for a few weeks, and nobody's having routine bloods done, we can all "do better" another day.

At the start of this I was still in the process of regaining a loss that happened when travelling.

Me? I swear I will soon resemble a cup of coffee with a huge mound of frothed milk on top.

Working out how to get the best, firm froth from the frother has been a very mixed blessing.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m similar. Not eating carbs but definitely eating way more than I would when out at work/able to be out and about all weekend. It’s hard to break a pattern, but hang in there and don’t be too hard on yourself. This is a difficult time for everyone, especially those who live alone.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well here in my little rural town in Australia I'm still at work- actually working longer and harder than before- every phone call to another (bigger) law firm means they message their lawyer and he/she rings me and if I'm on another call I ran g them they message their lawyer etc- most working from home. I get home exhausted.

I was feeling really jealous of those at home- I would love a break but my silver lining is that I have no greater temptation to carbs- this weekend may be different since I will be at home most days.

My thoughts are much the same as everyones- I'm trying to keep my blood sugars low to give me the best chances if I get the virus but I also think this is n to the time to give yourself a hard time over anything. The world has enough fear and anxiety in it- don't beat yourself up. Your mental health is really important too. Don't add to your already heavy mental/emotional load.
I think the key is to be as compassionate to yourself as you would be to someone here. I see a lot of compassion here- this is the time to give that compassion to yourself too..

That said- I'm a sucker for hot cross bun s and my son's girlfriend who is living here for the duration of the lockdown is making some home made ones today This will really be a test.

Good luck to everyone- stay safe- mentally as well as physically. This time will end and there will be challenges ahead but with such a wonderful community we are in a much better place than some. This community means so much to me- thank you to everyone here.

Max68

The one advantage of being cooped up is I can't visit a takeaway or shop when I am hungry!! As someone else shops for me I'm trying not to take liberties so try and stick to the basics to an extent. Finding I am eating a lot of egg, bacon and sausages in the evenings and boiling some eggs as well so my lunch next day consists of either cold sausages or boiled eggs, so probably better than a sandwich when I am work!! I had a terrible self inflicted idiocy of sweets and have a tendency to pick so I now have black or red grapes. Conflicting opinion on them I know but I feel it's still far better than sweets! However I do for my sins still have a pack of cheese and onion crisps, don't have a pop please!!!!

Before this all started though after my disappointing HBA1C at Christmas I had started to make a few changes anyway. If I have bread it's granary now rather than white and brown rice rather than white, which I quite like funnily enough after thinking it would taste like cardboard. Not the whole pack either just a serving. Curries I'll have a Jalfrezi rather than Masala and I won't touch pizza now. I did love mince, potatoes, mushrooms and carrots but now I only throw in a couple of small potatoes. Still not great but better than it was before.

One change though is I've pulled the old exercise bike out of the cobwebs and do 3 miles up from 2 each night. Hope to increase that as time goes on. It doesn't take long but my dodgy knee doesn't take too kindly to it but something is better than nothing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - are you eating the brown version of starches thinking that they are a better option? Are you checking that that is actually the case with a glucose meter?
You might be better off eating 'fat head' pizza.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
thank you all for your encouragements and support and it seems I am not the only one in the same boat **** covid-19, So appreciate you kind words and support. I will keep logging my foods and keep using this site for the support from here and keep myself busy. I am know trying to do the "it is ok I ate something that perhaps is not the best choice but to acknowledge it and don't get hard on myself and move on" it is hard to do but hopefully with this mindset and routine logging food on here hopefully will make me do better choices.

@TeddyTottie I am in Australia we are allowed to go out for exercising/ walks and have twice done this but been having rain here so haven't been able to keep up with my walking plus I like to go for walks in the afternoon and it gets dark quickly now day light savings has finished but it seems to have stopped raining a bit at the moment so might get out for a walk soon.

sadly a law has been made that you can't even jump into our cars for any drives apparently this is not allowed unless it is for a necessities, which is ridiculous in my books! what harm could driving do just to get out of the house for a bit even for half an hour drive if can't go for a walk due to the rain which can help with our mental health.

Last edited by a moderator:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Interestingly, I was in a conference call a few days ago. Waiting for someone to join, we started chatting about working from home, getting out a little to exercise and so on. Anyway, someone asked if "the others" were using the lockdown time to become Adonises, or something else.

Trust me, @annabell1 , you are not alone in what you say.

Me? I swear I will soon resemble a cup of coffee with a huge mound of frothed milk on top.

LOL this made me laugh out loud

edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

Max68

Ah - are you eating the brown version of starches thinking that they are a better option? Are you checking that that is actually the case with a glucose meter?
You might be better off eating 'fat head' pizza.

Fair point. Just went with the advice of the diabetic nurse and the nutritionist. Never had a meter, had never actually heard of them before I came on here!! Something to talk to the GP about if and when they have any time!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My conversation with my GP about testing and a meter.

Me "Doctor will you prescribe a meter and strips for me"

Doctor "No"

Yes just like the James Bond movie

Doctor No

Walked from his surgery to the chemists next door purchased meter and strips and lancet and have tested ever since when I feel the need to, whether to test or not was and is my decision not his.

edit to add what i'm trying to say I guess is get a meter and test how can you formulate a plan on insufficient data and if you don't know what food is good and what is not good, how can anybody make good or bad choices by guesswork alone.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I 'm eating more carbs than I was like bread and potatoes but not sugar stuff I don't have a sweet tooth thank goodness. I am almost 81 I live on my own and my granddaughter gets my shopping for me .To be honest I do not really want to think about my T2 to much. Following the rules about self isolation and hoping not to get the virus is more important to me at the moment than eating a few more carbs but I do enjoy them and food is about the only pleasure we have got while in isolation

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh forgot to add I have perforce made some rather poor choices of late myself as a consequence my blood sugar levels have gone a bit haywire so no ones perfect let alone me. Once this is all over and I can get back on my old routine things I'm sure will improve.