What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine -That’s one of my favourite all time books! I thought it was brilliant and quite original, very funny in places too. Didn’t see the twist at the end until I was practically there. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone. Also it’s one of the few books that the whole family has agreed on - we all usually have different tastes.
Excellent read, recommended to me by one of my brothers. Also didn’t see the twist coming. Am now passing it on to my daughter once we get to see her.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is Popeye asleep in the sun, on the wooden shoe rack in the kitchen side window. It did have plants on it years ago but oneday I found all mybplants on the kitchen floor, and he had claimed that space for himself.

I did want to plant potatoes this morning in containers, but I cannot now because kitchen door is right besides Popeye.

I will have to wait until he moves window. Around midday, as the sun moves round, he moves to front window, where he sleeps on my comfy couch in full sun....then I can plant potatoes in relative safety.

View attachment 40200
Poor old Popeye, glad he is enjoying the sun. Bobs has brought in three (not blind lol) mice one after the other this morning which I have had to deal with humanely and release in the woods. She is now in lockdown after being locked out! There’s only so much I can take.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried a new project yesterday, not sure if it is was completely successful, I decided to try making my own yogurt, at my last click and collect I added some full cream milk for just this reason, so followed an online recipe using some yogurt I had left. The result was nice and creamy and tasted like yogurt but the final result separated into more like curds and whey and I'm not sure if it should do that. Think it might have been an issue with keeping the temperature stable. Still it tasted nice. Just need to see what it does to my bloods before I consider if it is worth making it again.

If you have a flask, some left over yoghurt can be used as a starter to make another batch.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So... feeling old,..?
maybe saying a few extra prayers for loved ones.

why not combine the two and get down with the Kids..

I give you STORMZY
Lauren just introduced me to this one..love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Complete lockdown is the only way imo to tame this beast. Too many people still out and about thinking 'it won't effect me' but I'm reading more and more horror stories. Coming more frequently. The care home situations are so upsetting.
Agree on the lockdown point. Very angry how Uk Govt has managed to turn we the public into the villains - not washing hands well enough, getting too close etc. Insidiously absolving themselves of their early playing down of the threat and total inability to supply NHS and care staff with PPE and tests. Never mind spending ten years trashing it, make not protecting NHS/Care homes all our fault - brazen and totally hypocritical . Yes, stay in place and follow precautions but remember it was not you who made this far worse than it ever needed to be. Allegedly, 1 death so far in New Zealand. I really need to stay out of this topic from now on.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poor old Popeye, glad he is enjoying the sun. Bobs has brought in three (not blind lol) mice one after the other this morning which I have had to deal with humanely and release in the woods. She is now in lockdown after being locked out! There’s only so much I can take.
Aww @PenguinMum
Poor Bobs :)
She is bringing you nice edible presents. She knows you are foraging the supermarkets for food...she just wants to make life easier for you...
:cat:
~~O^>
~~O^>
~~O^>

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Working on my salad stuff etc growing...
Yesterday I went to a small local fruit and veg shop owned by an 80 year old lady. She also grows some of the stuff on her allotment. She brought me a whole load bunches of spring onions from her allotment. Because I want to grow more for myself. There is no way I could have picked loads bunches from the general local stores in case I was depriving someone.
And she brought me other veg from her allotment including the most divine carrots...
Just made a veg stir fry....heaven...
So this photo is the front window shoe rack with the bases of the spring onions in water. It looks dark in the photo, but it isn't. They are a bit crowded, but I need to go in garage for more jars...I always knew my nearly 20 year collection of glass jars in the corner of the garage would come in useful oneday....

And all those idiots over the years who constantly told me I should get a skip to clear my garage out...yes I am a hoarder...

05A3F20E-FBDE-4950-BA17-ECCBC7FB7419.jpeg

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a flask, some left over yoghurt can be used as a starter to make another batch.
Great idea about using the flask, will need to try this experiment again, thank you.

Reactions: dunelm

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I sort of didn’t @DJC3

A second feral cat (ginger) immediately after charged into the kitchen, leapt into the fight between poor Popeye (who had been minding his own business in my kitchen as I was preparing the cardboard recycle) and the black and white feral cat. I am hitting them with the cardboard recycle bag (I had bare legs as I was ready for bed so I am trying to keep myself from getting injured too)

The ginger and black and white feral cats are now locked in battle, roll outside the kitchen door. I go out with blue recycle bag still hitting them, shut Popeye in kitchen. And the two feral cats are in a screaming terrible battle and literally go rolling down the hill. I was hoping they would kill each other or a car would run them over. But alas no, they are still about walking through my garden.

I have reported it by email to rspca and the council. But rspca says it is closed now. So no one is interested.

The local vet has closed its doors. And so has the Veterinary Hospital I took Popeye to last time when the first attack happened. I have just checked their site this morning. And they are totally shut during this coronavirus pandemic.

Popeye is 27 years old. Nearly 28. He will be in end of May. I am not having him end his life as a result of injuries because of now feral cats that others appear to have chucked out their homes in this coronavirus pandemic.

We never had feral cats before the coronavirus pandemic, but I do live on the edge of a large ancient woodland, so I presume it would be easy to drive up and throw your pet in there. These cats are hungry and have turned wild very quickly. But there is not the support structure in place any more to get someone to come out and deal with it.

This means Popeye can never go outside again. He gave a good account of himself each time. And he wasn’t even outside the second time. The black and white feral cat was outside waiting for me to unlock the kitchen door, it seems. So now when I go outside I have to check Popeye is in my bedroom. I shut the bedroom door. Then I go outside. It is very restrictive for me. But I have to do it for his safety.

EDIT: Popeye IS going to make his 28th birthday, and I AM going to make sure he is healthy and has his glossy black coat back.
Was reading this morning that they are recommending pets to be kept indoors so you are ahead of the game. Well done.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ckdown-pet-veterinary-warning-COVID-19-latest

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And it looks so effortless, that communication. You don’t see the riders hands move, it must be very subtle and gentle. It must have been such a good feeling when you got that conversation going and your horse was able to respond to you.

It was so much fun. There you are, feeling like every separate cell in your brain is focusing on a different part of your body, and the horse's body, and what you're both doing .... and then all of a sudden it comes together and the two of you are one and you're in the zone ... and then all of a sudden you're back to focusing on all your separate brain cells ... and then back into the zone ...
And then out again, and you relax and let the reins go loose so the horse can relax and you can regroup ...

I imagine that the better you get at it and the longer you work at it the more you and the horse probably stay in the zone ...

It's like playing music. :)

Reactions: gennepher

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a belated afternoon to you all, well the fight I had with doomy this morning was of epic proportions! we fought to a standstill, flour (If we had any) was thrown all over, pasta (if we had any of that) was broken and strewn all around! I was soundly thrashed, due to feeling as weak as a kitten (all right I had a touch too much alcohol last night, but only a smidgen) and doomy triumphantly threw a 14.9 at me and promptly did a victory lap of the now, destroyed kitchen! I, after licking my wounds, took a corrective dose of my life longing elixir and had to nap, the nap of the vanquished! I will battle again, just not yet, as at some point I will have to get out of my pyjamas' and adult! Hope you are all being productive and are as safe as you can possibly be. Me ? well I think I will have a saunter to the bottom of the garden (for a change)

Stay safe everyone...……..Please

Reactions: Ryhia and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum Hugs for the poor night's sleep. I was up 'til about 2 am and then was woken just after 4 by very hard rain. I hope you will able to get some sleep during the day today.

7.3 this morning. I think FBG must reflect the time of day or the weather or something, rather than what I ate the day before.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We find communicating with family and friends virtually really lifts our spirits. Hope it does yours too. Challenging times.
We had to visit family yesterday as needed to deliver something to their step. Grandson was out playing with his football and saw us and the smile just lit up his face, it just made my day.

Reactions: SlimLizzy

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was reading this morning that they are recommending pets to be kept indoors so you are ahead of the game. Well done.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ckdown-pet-veterinary-warning-COVID-19-latest
Thanks @Ryhia
Apart from anything else in all this, you don't know where the cats have been/walked, or who has stroked them.

I have managed to contact an online Welsh vet who says as long as Popeye appears to be doing well/improving, then continue with the warm salty compresses on the abscess and he should be fine and will manage without antibiotics. But if his condition worsens, then to contact them again.

That is the best I can do for him.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sort of didn’t @DJC3

A second feral cat (ginger) immediately after charged into the kitchen, leapt into the fight between poor Popeye (who had been minding his own business in my kitchen as I was preparing the cardboard recycle) and the black and white feral cat. I am hitting them with the cardboard recycle bag (I had bare legs as I was ready for bed so I am trying to keep myself from getting injured too)

The ginger and black and white feral cats are now locked in battle, roll outside the kitchen door. I go out with blue recycle bag still hitting them, shut Popeye in kitchen. And the two feral cats are in a screaming terrible battle and literally go rolling down the hill. I was hoping they would kill each other or a car would run them over. But alas no, they are still about walking through my garden.

I have reported it by email to rspca and the council. But rspca says it is closed now. So no one is interested.

The local vet has closed its doors. And so has the Veterinary Hospital I took Popeye to last time when the first attack happened. I have just checked their site this morning. And they are totally shut during this coronavirus pandemic.

Popeye is 27 years old. Nearly 28. He will be in end of May. I am not having him end his life as a result of injuries because of now feral cats that others appear to have chucked out their homes in this coronavirus pandemic.

We never had feral cats before the coronavirus pandemic, but I do live on the edge of a large ancient woodland, so I presume it would be easy to drive up and throw your pet in there. These cats are hungry and have turned wild very quickly. But there is not the support structure in place any more to get someone to come out and deal with it.

This means Popeye can never go outside again. He gave a good account of himself each time. And he wasn’t even outside the second time. The black and white feral cat was outside waiting for me to unlock the kitchen door, it seems. So now when I go outside I have to check Popeye is in my bedroom. I shut the bedroom door. Then I go outside. It is very restrictive for me. But I have to do it for his safety.

EDIT: Popeye IS going to make his 28th birthday, and I AM going to make sure he is healthy and has his glossy black coat back.
This is horrific reading, so shocking for both of you. Thank goodness he has you to look after him so well. 28 is a fantastic age, and testament to your good care. I hope you’ll post a picture of the birthday boy next month.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 on waking. Late night strawberries, thick cream and oppo ice cream.

Down to 5.3 now whilst catching up on forum in bed. Only had a cup of tea. Eric downstairs making sausage, bacon, eggs mushrooms and i may add a tomato .

More painting outdoors today and endlessly watching news and listening to LBC. I don't want to but just can't help myself! Looking forward to hearing some good news although there have been many inspirational stories like our @DJC3. Well done that lovely lady. People helping others in the community. Great to hear the positives.
Thank you, but as I said, I get as much out of it as them! It seems to me we are all doing our bit as well as we can. - there are some wonderfully uplifting stories coming to light and I do find I prefer to focus on them rather than worst case scenarios. You are pretty wonderful yourself!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.5 this morning. Hugs @PenguinMum and @SlimLizzy I think anxiety is a common cause for us all. 3am waking is becoming more common with me too at the moment.
I’m Feeling a lot better for having been out yesterday though. Medication delivery ( I have an ID card too in case I’m stopped) and some shopping for a neighbour. Everyone out behaving with friendliness and common sense.
I had a panicky phone call from a chap who had picked up one of the flyers with my name and number which I’d left in the docs surgery a fortnight ago. His 81 yo wife had just had the letter saying she must stay indoors and they didn’t know how they were going to be able to get food. He lives in the next village, easy to get to and they like Lidl which isn’t far so I’ll be able to do that for them. I’m just so pleased he had the foresight to pick up my flyer so they don’t have to worry about shopping at least.
Have as good a day as you possibly can.

You are a very good friend and neighbor.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww @PenguinMum
Poor Bobs :)
She is bringing you nice edible presents. She knows you are foraging the supermarkets for food...she just wants to make life easier for you...
:cat:
~~O^>
~~O^>
~~O^>
I have to admit they were all very pretty and I hope they survive after their ordeal. Bobs is now sprawled on the other sofa worn out by her hunting. I am not worried about the girls being out as they always stay within our grounds and neither see, nor would they allow if they did, anyone to touch their fur.